Would a movie really work?

The Artemis Fowl Movie is coming... On the 26th July 2013, Disney, in association with Harvey Weinstein, announced that a movie covering the events of the first two books was finally in the works!
lotrfan
Commander

Re: Would a movie really work?

Postby lotrfan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:18 pm

Frondish17 wrote:
Woah, woah, woah...What do you have against the LOTR movies? They were amazing!! And, I think, one of the only movies that is actually better than the books, because they just make the books so much more tangible. I mean, sure, PJ left out Tom Bombadil, and the Scouring of the Shire, but the sheer awesome-ness of the movies makes up for that.

LOL sorry, lotrfan, but I have a LOT against the movies. Yes, the special effects, the score, the mass-scale production was all awesome and amazing. And I am not quibbling over parts they left out (Tolkien actually didn't know where he was going when he was writing Tom Bombadil and that whole part of the story - he admitted it - so I don't mind that. I wasn't expecting that, anyway). The thing I dislike about the movie is the casting. Some characters were awesome: Boromir, Faromir, Denethor, Theoden, Eowyn, Gimli, Gandalf . . . basically everyone was either great or passable. But Frodo and Sam make me want to gag, personally. I mean, if they were going to totally wreck of the relationship between the two anyway by making Frodo like twenty years younger than Sam, then why not have gone the whole hog and changed his personality a little to make the face fit the actions? It seems really weird to me that they gave Wood and Astin the same relationship that Frodo and Sam had in the books, where Frodo was older than Sam. So here is Astin totally dependent upon this guy who could be his son, who in turn acts patronizing and stuck up. I dunno - those two ruin the movie for me.

can we still be friends? lol

. . . and why in heck am I still a Tunnel Blue Spider?? I've been a Tunnel Blue Spider for two days now! I want a promotion!!

lol. Sure, we'll still be friends :glaring:
... :closed: ...

:laughing:

I personally like the relationship between the two, and I don't even notice the age difference at all when I watch the movies. He's only ten years younger, it isn't that apparent. Frodo's a wuss, we all know that, but they have a believable friendship the way it's portrayed, and Astin does the emotional parts well I think. You can definitely see how Sam is the real hero. Just because of that one thing, doesn't make the movies a disgrace to the books, and it definitely shouldn't make you lose faith. That's just one thing that you have against them...everything else is still amazing.

Seriously, I think if Peter Jackson directed the AF movie, it would be really good.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Frondish17
Pixie
Real First Name: Liv
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Frondish17

Postby Frondish17 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:55 am

*sighs with relief* phew! hahaha

yeah, sorry about that outburst. I've just got this pet peeve when it comes to LotR movies, but thats just me. I personally own like every book of Tolkiens and I hate to see anything that came from his magical pen distorted even a little bit. So anyway . . .

I think a movie would work, if they don't make it a B-rated film with bad CGI and then try to make up for it by casting a famous actor in a part that doesn't even fit them just for the billing, you know? If they don't do that, if they have good CGI and stick with casting to character instead of trying to make it a boxoffice hit with big names and everything, then I think it will work out very well.

[/center]
Them, we liked

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:44 pm

Frondish17 wrote:I think a movie would work, if they don't make it a B-rated film with bad CGI and then try to make up for it by casting a famous actor in a part that doesn't even fit them just for the billing, you know? If they don't do that, if they have good CGI and stick with casting to character instead of trying to make it a boxoffice hit with big names and everything, then I think it will work out very well.

Yeah, I agree. If they just make the movie basing everything on what it's supposed to be like rather than what they can make money off of, then they will probably end up making more money because people will actually want to see it. Ugh! Why are movie makers so stupid?! And why do they constantly come out with all these terrible movies, when they could be focusing their efforts on something that could actually be good?
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

psionicbird
Cave Troll

Postby psionicbird » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:19 am

A movie might really work if they make it as epic as the Harry Potter series.
A seperate movie for each book would make a lot of money if it's well done and loyal to the book.
Then comes the additional critics and fans. Of course, look forward to additional fans once this becomes a movie, because if they make it as epic as the Potter Series then book sales would rise.
Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

It is not for humans to be concern of...well other humans for that matter. However, he should say something...
No. Risky, he thought. For now, say nothing.

*--mnt

Exit
Tunnel Blue Spider

Postby Exit » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:11 pm

The writing of the Artemis Fowl books is rather spare; this is because it's made to be accessible to all ages, but also because capturing such a whimsical world visually isn't the best way to go about it. To be honest, I don't even have a concrete vision of what Artemis looks like, and I like it that way (though I do have an idea of what all the others look like). However, the plot for the books would naturally translate well to the screen. I guess I'm just cautious about it, because the Artemis Fowl books are special, and I don't want them messed up by some latter-day movie. :lick: If it came out I would see it for sure, but my expectations would be pretty low.

Neojian
Cave Troll

Postby Neojian » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Wouldn't it have to be directed by George Lucas. I imagined the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as Jessica. and the large dude that had no feeling due to a nerve ending problem as Butler. I believe he was her brother in those movies.

The writing style seem pick from various writers, like Steven King, Landis, Eric Lustbater and others.

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:46 pm

psionicbird wrote:A movie might really work if they make it as epic as the Harry Potter series.
A seperate movie for each book would make a lot of money if it's well done and loyal to the book.
Then comes the additional critics and fans. Of course, look forward to additional fans once this becomes a movie, because if they make it as epic as the Potter Series then book sales would rise.

And even some of the Harry Potter movies sucked, but we still watch them, and they still continued. I don't get why people freaked out so hard over Harry Potter, that needs to happen with AF too.
They need to go into it with a positive attitude, not a "oh, well, we probably won't get a lot of viewers, let's make this as mediocre as possible." That would make me really angry...
ImageImage Image

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:09 pm

I made great sin today. I am sure you all will loath me but for calm of my soul I have to confess.
I thought that merge first and second book together doesn't have to be bad idea. Please before you put to death my mortal body hear me out.

In movie would be difficult make Artemis likeable villain as he was in book and just let him win would be little aniclimatic. But if Opal take chance of siege of Fowl Manor (instead of Arctic expedition) to take over to haven and get rid all of them altogether. It would make Artemis change from antagonist to more or less protagonist.

In that case they would use retrieval of Artemis father as prologue for second movie (they had right for third book as well) except that they would leave out goblins in russia. This way it would work a bit.

I said all I wanted say and I accept any punishment as real men.
Spot light steeling squad
Spoiler:
Criminal: Who are you guys!?
Tiger: You mean us? We're-
Blue Rose:We're the heroes of this town! [Steps on criminals face] My name is Blue Rose. We keep the peace in Sternbild at all times!
Tiger: ...What she said.
—Tiger and Bunny

Wolverine: Stay on topic, bub! This movie's about me!
Rorschach: Weren't all the X-Men movies about you?
— I'm A Marvel... And I'm A DC: Wolverine and Watchmen

Heroic Blue screen of Death
Spoiler:
Artemis: I don't like lollipops...

Venkman: Ray has gone bye-bye, Egon... what've you got left?
Egon: Sorry, Venkman, I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.
—Ghostbusters

Antonio: Hey, Blue Rose, help us out!
Karina(Blue Rose): Daughter... Wife... Haha. Hahaha... *eye twitch*
Antonio: It's no use! We broke her!
—Tiger and Bunny (get know her crush better... he is widower, though)

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:31 pm

Tenzen12 wrote:I made great sin today. I am sure you all will loath me but for calm of my soul I have to confess.
I thought that merge first and second book together doesn't have to be bad idea. Please before you put to death my mortal body hear me out.

In movie would be difficult make Artemis likeable villain as he was in book and just let him win would be little aniclimatic. But if Opal take chance of siege of Fowl Manor (instead of Arctic expedition) to take over to haven and get rid all of them altogether. It would make Artemis change from antagonist to more or less protagonist.

In that case they would use retrieval of Artemis father as prologue for second movie (they had right for third book as well) except that they would leave out goblins in russia. This way it would work a bit.

I said all I wanted say and I accept any punishment as real men.

Don't worry, I won't attack you. Your opinion matters. :laughing:

But I still disagree. I just think there's too much of a time difference between the first and second books. I mean, Artemis is the villain of the first book, so you can't have him as the villain, kidnapping Holly, Public Enemy No1 of the People, and then immediately have them working together. They need that time to cool off a little so that they can eventually become friends in the end of TAI. Plus, in the end of AF we, as an audience, will see that Artemis is becoming a good person.
ImageImage Image

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:04 pm

Yes thats true, but if you consider movie logic they have cover his change in movie. You yourself said that Artemis was vilain in first book and that would be problem. But If Opal try dispose all fairy and take Artemis along with them (nothing personal yet). It would be reason enought to join enemies for battle with even stronger enemy. Whole point of unition both book is show Artemis good side and that is essential for movie conception. You can't let bad guy win over in movie if you don't give him enough likeable points it would be Unhappy End. That what I mean.

It would totaly change tone of story. I agree with you on it though.
Spoiler:
Blue Rose:We're the heroes of this town! [Steps on criminals face] My name is Blue Rose. We keep the peace in Sternbild at all times!
—Tiger and Bunny

Spoiler:

—Ghostbusters

Celsica
Dwarf

Postby Celsica » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:48 am

*hangs Tenzen* ROT THERE!

Kidding. Love ya

Anyway, your argument is very reasonable, but I still don't like it. Just like lotrfan said, it needs a "cooling time"
But it isn't cooling time either. I think that Holly's bitterness towards Artemis increased during that time, for all the trouble he's causing him AFTER the siege. Annoying Mud Boy!
Also, we need a time for Opal to plan all this! I think that it would be highly mentioned if during the siege some goblins were running around burning things. And I'm pretty sure that Cudgeon can't be at two places at once.

If they made both in the same movie, BUT with a time space it still wouldn't work. It would be like sitting in two separate movies during two hours and without break. Total failure, each storyline wouldn't have the time to develop well.
"I'll spare you the details, but basically the smoking jacket is not smoking"
Neal Caffrey --- White Collar

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:34 pm

Yeah you are right of course. And you don't have to like it. To be frank even though I agree with you that my arguments are reasonable I dislike it as well (I am fan afterall).

But I am confident that I would be able write ff when I would combine both books while avoiding problems you pitpointed. And when amateur like me would be able, Pro should be too (though I am not saying they will or that it happening often in books adaptations). Every single of your arguments can easyly become stumbling-stone of whole piece, make it overcombined and totaly spoil it all.
Spoiler:
—Tiger and Bunny

Spoiler:

—Ghostbusters

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun May 01, 2011 4:51 pm

Tenzen12 wrote:Whole point of unition both book is show Artemis good side and that is essential for movie conception. You can't let bad guy win over in movie if you don't give him enough likeable points it would be Unhappy End. That what I mean.

I understand what you're saying, in that movie makers love having movies based on heroes and archetypal journeys, whatever. But I think that's why these books would make such good movies, because the hero is also a villain, and not only is that different for movie makers, but it can also show the audience how well that idea can be shown.
If that makes sense...

But also, Artemis has good qualities throughout the first book anyway. His whole purpose is to help his family, which shows his compassion. I mean, he's not just kidnapping and stealing because he's bored (well, not in this case at least). He's doing it to save his father. And when he sees his mother (and in the end when he gets Holly to help her) he is a vulnerable and nice person. Plus, he does feel guilt over kidnapping Holly eventually. And the fact that these qualities are hidden and small should be even more intriguing and awesome for movie-makers to explore and create.
The fact that he lets Holly go in the end shows that it is a happy ending, but also that there is unfinished business between them.

Like Celsica said, it's not really a "cooling time" between the books, but just a separation for a while, giving them reason to suspect that he's done something wrong. They go looking for him, and drag him into their affairs, and they can't just do that immediately. The whole point of them doing that is that they haven't seen him do anything in a while and they feel like he has something to do with the goblin revolution.
...They're just completely different plots. TAI has two plots going on in itself, to add the entire introduction to this world and these characters and to establish that entire scenario between them would just be too much.

I mean, I'm sure someone could successfully find a way to combine them in a fine way, but for a movie, it would be way too long unless they cut out a lot of stuff, and that's just ridiculous.
ImageImage Image

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:32 pm

They would have to cut half of first story and most of second and fill gaps by owns ideas to comine both together. I know it.
Spoiler:
—Tiger and Bunny

Spoiler:

—Ghostbusters

Celsica
Dwarf

Postby Celsica » Sun May 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Inventing ideas? that would stink even harder
(Tenzen, you know I'm not against you, but the possibilities that you mention :) )

This discussion brings only one question to my mind: Eoin Colfer seriously wants to do it that way (two books together), how will he manage it?)
"I'll spare you the details, but basically the smoking jacket is not smoking"
Neal Caffrey --- White Collar

Return to “The Movie”