Would a movie really work?

The Artemis Fowl Movie is coming... On the 26th July 2013, Disney, in association with Harvey Weinstein, announced that a movie covering the events of the first two books was finally in the works!
Enda the cyberlord
Swear Toad
Would a movie really work?

Postby Enda the cyberlord » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:43 pm

We all wamnt to see a Movie but would it work? We all love AF but it would not enough tickets to cover the costs of makeing it. The fx buget would be mad and in order too pull in the tickets they would need to get an A-list actor( more money). This might be one book better left as a book.

Chitiliti
Commander
Real First Name:Cait
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Chitiliti

Re: Would a movie really work?

Postby Chitiliti » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:17 pm

That's not necessarily true, but okay. There are a LOT of Artemis Fowl fans out there. Not just AFC members. Plus, I'm sure other people would go see the movie even if they weren't a fan of the books. You would be surprised how many movies are being made based off books these days. Not only that, but just because it has A-list celebrities in it doesn't mean it will be any more popular. Or well made. In fact, I probably wouldn't go see it if it was full of big names. It's just not right for Artemis, you know?

Knarpulous
Mud Man
Real First Name:Jade

Postby Knarpulous » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:03 am

It could work if it was well-made, or at least well-marketed. If it's well marketed, it will bring people in, and if it's well made, people will keep coming. For example, Eragon was neither well made nor marketed and did terrible. The Golden Compass was fairly well marketed, but not very well made, and did fairly good, especially worldwide.

If at least one well-known director or actor is involved, it should be marketed fairly.

Arty1995
Centaur

Postby Arty1995 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:59 am

It all depends on how big the Budget is, who's acting and who's directing.
I hope spielberg is the Director, he knows what he's doing.
Eternity Awards - Strangest member, 2010, 2011
Eternity Awards - Most Changed member, 2011
Eternity Awards - Looovers <3 AlaMulyMala, Conquer the world! 2012

kelly_holden
Sprite

Postby kelly_holden » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:02 am

Besides, plenty of people will go to a movie who've never heard of the book it's based on, movies are more for the general public than proper fans. Heck, even the graphic novel seems to be reaching a wider audience than the original books, and despite still requiring reading, and having art I wouldn't like even if every character was drawn in 100% compliance with descriptions.
Like Tolkien's creatures.
Artemis watched Holly stride towards the main doors.
If only, he thought. If only.

Due to it not supporting png transparency properly, my avatar will appear to have a light grey background if you use IE6. That's not what it's supposed to look like.

Knarpulous
Mud Man

Postby Knarpulous » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:11 pm

There are a lot of movies that people don't know are based on books, like The Bourne Identity.

I highly doubt Spielberg will be the director, 'sides his movies aren't as good anymore. There are plenty of directors who know what their doing and don't focus on summer blockbusters.

Chitiliti
Commander
Real First Name:Cait
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Chitiliti

Postby Chitiliti » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:32 pm

There are a lot of movies that people don't know are based on books, like The Bourne Identity.

I highly doubt Spielberg will be the director, 'sides his movies aren't as good anymore. There are plenty of directors who know what their doing and don't focus on summer blockbusters.
I totally agree. I'd say half of movies coming out these days are based off books. They just made a movie based off The Portrait of Dorian Gray, for heaven's sake! Not all movies based off books are terrible.

The director will probably be one I've never heard of. I'd rather it not be a big name, because I can't think of any directors I know who would be good for the job...

Cat Moon
Commander
Location:HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Postby Cat Moon » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:23 am

Everyone's gunning for a HP replacement. They'll pay to make a good book make a good film, 'cos otherwise, their sales are gonna plummet.
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

tahtswutshesed
Pixie
Real First Name:Casey

Postby tahtswutshesed » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:09 pm

I totally agree. I'd say half of movies coming out these days are based off books. They just made a movie based off The Portrait of Dorian Gray, for heaven's sake! Not all movies based off books are terrible.
Oh God. Did they?! I love that book!

Speaking of directors, I thought it was James Sheridan... or unless I'm getting the name wrong. He's the big director that did Titanic, and now Avatar. He's Irish and I think Colfer knows him personally.

Or I could be totally wrong. But I'm pretty PRETTY positive it's James Sheridan. I think Sheridan's daughter was listed as working the screenplay too.
"Mom! Haruhi's using foul language!"
"'Mom' being...?"
"Position-wise, probably me."
-OHSHC

"Don't call me Julius! You always do that before you disobey me!"
-TOD

"Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders."
"What the hell is a Hufflepuff?
-AVPM

"Oh great. Just what this team needs, another smartass."
-TLC

My page on FF.Net: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tahtswutshesed
My official fan art: http://rad-mania.deviantart.com/
Spoiler:
Yeahhhh, I'm an A/Her. And I'm NOT a freak.

Knarpulous
Mud Man

Postby Knarpulous » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:06 pm

It's James Cameron and I'm pretty sure he's not Irish. He would be a good director, but he usually only directs movies he creates himself, and he's supposed to be working on a Battle Angel Alita movie and/or Avatar sequels.

tahtswutshesed
Pixie
Real First Name:Casey

Postby tahtswutshesed » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:03 am

It's James Cameron and I'm pretty sure he's not Irish. He would be a good director, but he usually only directs movies he creates himself, and he's supposed to be working on a Battle Angel Alita movie and/or Avatar sequels.
AHH! I"m bad with names. I just realized I had it messed up. Yeahhh, the guy I was thinking of is NOT James Cameron. Though the man I'm thinking of as the director is definitely Irish, and has the last name Sheridan. Sorry I got the two confused. :D
"Mom! Haruhi's using foul language!"
"'Mom' being...?"
"Position-wise, probably me."
-OHSHC

"Don't call me Julius! You always do that before you disobey me!"
-TOD

"Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders."
"What the hell is a Hufflepuff?
-AVPM

"Oh great. Just what this team needs, another smartass."
-TLC

My page on FF.Net: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tahtswutshesed
My official fan art: http://rad-mania.deviantart.com/
Spoiler:
Yeahhhh, I'm an A/Her. And I'm NOT a freak.

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:22 pm

Yeah, there are definitely enough fans. I can't believe that they keep making all of these films of random books and some that aren't even of books that are just stupid. I mean, The Picture of Dorian Gray, really? That's kind of what A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was.
Why are things like Twilight so popular? It defnitely wasn't as popular before the movies came out, I had barely heard of it. So once they actually do make the Artemis Fowl movie there will be more fans because more people will know about it.

I feel like I'm just babbling incoherently
Anyway, they shouldn't not make the movie just because they think there aren't enough people who are going to see it, because I think there are enough people who will see it.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:06 am

Nope, you're not babbling, I got all of that -and I agree. They shouldn't think of how many people would go see it 'cos they're fans, they should reckon on how many people will go see it once they've seen trailers and checked out SFX and stuff.

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

CharlyxXx
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name:Charlotte
AFC Fan Fiction Name:CharlyxXx
Location:At H.I.V.E, typing away at the fairy computer I made.

Postby CharlyxXx » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:40 pm

The director will probably be one I've never heard of. I'd rather it not be a big name, because I can't think of any directors I know who would be good for the job...
What about Chris Weisz... oh wait, did he do the golden compass? I didn't like the way that was done.
I love Artemis Fowl (the series, duh
)
"I didn't trust Fowl when he was alive, and I definitely don't trust him now that he's dead." ~Julius Root
"I'm right there with you, darlin'. Unless you step on a landmine, in which case I'm way back in the Operations Room." ~Foaly
Visit http://xxxcharlyxxx.deviantart.com/ for my DeviantART profile

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:44 pm

Yep, he did Golden Compass and New Moon.

~Moist von Lipwig

Return to “The Movie”