Would a movie really work?

The Artemis Fowl Movie is coming... On the 26th July 2013, Disney, in association with Harvey Weinstein, announced that a movie covering the events of the first two books was finally in the works!
oneofthegenii
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name:Jasmine
Re: Would a movie really work?

Postby oneofthegenii » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:21 am

We would probably be quite disappointed. I think we're expecting too much...adapting a book into a movie is actually quite hard. remember Eragon? and stormbreaker? and howl's moving castle? so many disappointments...
but i am still looking forward to seeing the movie.
'Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set ye free' - the Bible
'How white is the moonlight tonight!' - Anne Shirley

Cat Moon
Commander
Location:HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Postby Cat Moon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:16 pm

But Cirque du Freak, Percy Jackson, and How to Train Your Dragon on the other hand, worked really well. A lot depends on the quality of the script. It doesn't matter how good an actor or director you are, there's only so much you can do with a bad script. But since Colfer's heping to write this one, I reckon the film could really go somewhere.
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

Joy
Mud Man

Postby Joy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:09 am

Besides, plenty of people will go to a movie who've never heard of the book it's based on, movies are more for the general public than proper fans. Heck, even the graphic novel seems to be reaching a wider audience than the original books, and despite still requiring reading, and having art I wouldn't like even if every character was drawn in 100% compliance with descriptions.
True...I know many people who started reading HP after the movie released(and some who positively swooned after seeing Radcliffe in the posters)...some of friends who have never read an HP book still go out to watch the movies...so i guess star power works...Holly and Artemis can be unknown/new actors(but they have to be reasonably good looking...but suiting the book's description)... 8) 8) 8)

Joy
Mud Man

Postby Joy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:13 am

Besides, plenty of people will go to a movie who've never heard of the book it's based on, movies are more for the general public than proper fans. Heck, even the graphic novel seems to be reaching a wider audience than the original books, and despite still requiring reading, and having art I wouldn't like even if every character was drawn in 100% compliance with descriptions.
True...I know many people who started reading HP after the movie released(and some who positively swooned after seeing Radcliffe in the posters and swore to read all the books in one night)...and some of my classmates who have never read an HP book still do go out to watch the HP movies...also i guess star power works...Holly and Artemis can be unknown/new actors(but they have to be reasonably good looking...of course suiting the book's description)... 8) 8) 8)

Kelsey Rain (:
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name:KelseyRain
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Kelsey Rain

Postby Kelsey Rain (: » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:29 pm

We would probably be quite disappointed. I think we're expecting too much...adapting a book into a movie is actually quite hard. remember Eragon? and stormbreaker? and howl's moving castle? so many disappointments...
but i am still looking forward to seeing the movie.

Howl's Moving Castle?! That was an AMAZING movie!!! I loved it even more than the book!! :O

micgalnixon
Cave Troll

Postby micgalnixon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:42 pm

A movie is a combination of publicity , star cast , locations and movie is dependable on these things . So no one can say earlier about movie really work or not . Movie works on the audiences .

hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Real First Name:Jess :P

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:13 pm

I would really doubt it.. I mean look at the Harry Potter series... The movies were fabulous up untill the 4th one which was when i couldnt wait until the 5th movie came out and just decided to read the books instead. Once i did that, and the 5th movie came out i was really disappointed. Not because of bad acting, probs, setting etc. but because even the most advanced filming techniques could not possibly ever live up to my imaginiation.. The same would happen with AF if it ever became a movie.... us fans would critic it too the point of tearing it apart, and so WE would think that it was a failier even if it was pretty good.
We all have a dark side...

[spoiler]That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':[/spoiler]

But you love me XD

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:18 pm

Yeah, you're right, we would, but I would probably still like it.
A lot of the Harry Potter movies are not good compared to the books, but I still like them, and watch them.

I don't see why a movie wouldn't work. I mean, if they actually do something about it, and get a good director and producer, they should do a fairly good job.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Celsica
Dwarf

Postby Celsica » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:08 pm

But a good part of the charm of Artemis Fowl is the commentary Eoin makes in a description, like in TAC "crushed like a soda can in the hand of a giant who was immensely strong and didn't like soda cans". How can you put that on a movie?
And the thoughts of the characters ("I hope zombies are soft") also have their charm. Is very difficult to show a character's thoughts is a movie.

So, according to my argument, you have to take out the funny descriptions (keep the important and literal) and the thoughts of the Artemis Fowl books and that's how the movie will be like.
I'm definitely going to see the movie, but the book is ALWAYS going to be better
"I'll spare you the details, but basically the smoking jacket is not smoking"
Neal Caffrey --- White Collar

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:20 pm

But a good part of the charm of Artemis Fowl is the commentary Eoin makes in a description, like in TAC "crushed like a soda can in the hand of a giant who was immensely strong and didn't like soda cans". How can you put that on a movie?
And the thoughts of the characters ("I hope zombies are soft") also have their charm. Is very difficult to show a character's thoughts is a movie.

So, according to my argument, you have to take out the funny descriptions (keep the important and literal) and the thoughts of the Artemis Fowl books and that's how the movie will be like.
I'm definitely going to see the movie, but the book is ALWAYS going to be better
Yeah, that's true, but that happens in any movie. And it's possible that they could show things like that on the characters' faces. I don't know, I think they could. I mean, obviously the book will be better, but a movie can still be good too.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Frondish17
Pixie
Real First Name:Liv
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Frondish17

Postby Frondish17 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:47 am

personally, I'm expecting a massive disappointment with this one. After Lotrs came out (sorry, lotrfan) I have no confidence in directors and screenplays based off of books. If the casting isn't botched up (which it probably will be if Freddy Highmore or Keira Knightly end up getting signed on), then the plot will be all mashed up and the characters will suffer. Aaarrgh.
Honestly? I cannot think of one movie I have seen that does justice to the book it was based off of. Sorry to sound like the voice of doom here, guys, but this is going to be a flop. f.l.o.p. :thumbsdown:

[/center]
Them, we liked

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:37 pm

personally, I'm expecting a massive disappointment with this one. After Lotrs came out (sorry, lotrfan) I have no confidence in directors and screenplays based off of books. If the casting isn't botched up (which it probably will be if Freddy Highmore or Keira Knightly end up getting signed on), then the plot will be all mashed up and the characters will suffer. Aaarrgh.
Honestly? I cannot think of one movie I have seen that does justice to the book it was based off of. Sorry to sound like the voice of doom here, guys, but this is going to be a flop. f.l.o.p. :thumbsdown:
Woah, woah, woah...What do you have against the LOTR movies? They were amazing!! And, I think, one of the only movies that is actually better than the books, because they just make the books so much more tangible. I mean, sure, PJ left out Tom Bombadil, and the Scouring of the Shire, but the sheer awesome-ness of the movies makes up for that.

I thnk if they really tried, they could make the movie half-way decent.
ImageImage Image

Frondish17
Pixie
Real First Name:Liv
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Frondish17

Postby Frondish17 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:30 am

Woah, woah, woah...What do you have against the LOTR movies? They were amazing!! And, I think, one of the only movies that is actually better than the books, because they just make the books so much more tangible. I mean, sure, PJ left out Tom Bombadil, and the Scouring of the Shire, but the sheer awesome-ness of the movies makes up for that.
LOL sorry, lotrfan, but I have a LOT against the movies. Yes, the special effects, the score, the mass-scale production was all awesome and amazing. And I am not quibbling over parts they left out (Tolkien actually didn't know where he was going when he was writing Tom Bombadil and that whole part of the story - he admitted it - so I don't mind that. I wasn't expecting that, anyway). The thing I dislike about the movie is the casting. Some characters were awesome: Boromir, Faromir, Denethor, Theoden, Eowyn, Gimli, Gandalf . . . basically everyone was either great or passable. But Frodo and Sam make me want to gag, personally. I mean, if they were going to totally wreck of the relationship between the two anyway by making Frodo like twenty years younger than Sam, then why not have gone the whole hog and changed his personality a little to make the face fit the actions? It seems really weird to me that they gave Wood and Astin the same relationship that Frodo and Sam had in the books, where Frodo was older than Sam. So here is Astin totally dependent upon this guy who could be his son, who in turn acts patronizing and stuck up. I dunno - those two ruin the movie for me.

can we still be friends? lol

. . . and why in heck am I still a Tunnel Blue Spider?? I've been a Tunnel Blue Spider for two days now! I want a promotion!!

[/center]
Them, we liked

Celsica
Dwarf

Postby Celsica » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:45 pm

I liked the Lotr movie, and I actually heard an interview with Elijah where he said that the director purposely made his character more vulnerable and he was kind of tired of it. So it's not Wood's fault.

So, back on topic, are they news about the AF movie? or we just have to abandon all hope?
"I'll spare you the details, but basically the smoking jacket is not smoking"
Neal Caffrey --- White Collar

willdabeasts
Cave Troll

Postby willdabeasts » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:46 am

i hope it will work and it will be a great movie if they ruin the book there is no point in making it.
"Trust me i haven't been wrong yet"

Return to “The Movie”