Who should Direct the movie?

The Artemis Fowl Movie is coming... On the 26th July 2013, Disney, in association with Harvey Weinstein, announced that a movie covering the events of the first two books was finally in the works!
lotrfan
Commander

Who should Direct the movie?

Postby lotrfan » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:53 pm

I didn't see a topic like this already so, Who do you guys think would be the best director of the Artemis Fowl movie?

I think Peter Jackson would be good (not just because I'm obsessed with LOTR) because he's a really good epic-movie director. We need someone who's going to stay for all of the movies, because when directors change in the middle of a series, it kind of ruins it. (like the 3rd Harry Potter. *shudders*)

So who do you think?
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Cat Moon
Commander
Location: HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Re: Who should Direct the movie?

Postby Cat Moon » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:08 am

Peter Jackson'd be great, maybe James Cameron, or possibly Guillermo del Toro. All of these deal with sci-fi/fantasy.
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

Knarpulous
Mud Man
Real First Name: Jade

Postby Knarpulous » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:24 pm

I love Guillermo del Toro, he does simply amazing effects without computers.

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:31 pm

He's doing the Hobbit movie too, so he'll have experience with the height-altering software, which can only be a help.

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

Kelsey Rain (:
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name: KelseyRain
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Kelsey Rain

Postby Kelsey Rain (: » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:56 pm

JAMES CAMERON!!!!!! :D :D

Knarpulous
Mud Man

Postby Knarpulous » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:33 am

Kelsey Rain (: wrote:JAMES CAMERON!!!!!! :D :D

There is next to no chance that he would direct Artemis Fowl, but if he did at least the special effects would be great. :)

Kelsey Rain (:
Golden Acorn Officer

Postby Kelsey Rain (: » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:48 am

You never know. People in the 1800s said movies would end up being a short-lived fantasy and said that they would get no where with it. Look at movies today o.O

bough, that was dumb. But you never know ;D

Knarpulous
Mud Man

Postby Knarpulous » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:46 am

Maybe after he does Battle Angel Alita and possible Avatar sequels. :)

I personally find him... boring? I don't know, his movies just don't seem to have that much style to them. He lacks a bit in character development, focusing more on special effects.

Kelsey Rain (:
Golden Acorn Officer

Postby Kelsey Rain (: » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:05 am

True, but I believe the character development lies in the actor and the writer, not the director. It is the actor's job to get into their character as much as possible, and find out every little detail about them. If there is a lack in character development, it's the actor's fault.

Titanic was great though :D

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 pm

Knarpulous wrote:Maybe after he does Battle Angel Alita and possible Avatar sequels. :)

I personally find him... boring? I don't know, his movies just don't seem to have that much style to them. He lacks a bit in character development, focusing more on special effects.

James Cameron...ehh.
His movies are so long. And, I kind of see what you mean about being boring, but that's probably because they're so long. I love Titanic though. I just saw that for the first time like 3 days ago, but I still love it.
I think he's kind of more into his own movie ideas than with making books into movies.

I haven't seen anything that Guillermo del Toro has directed, yet. (The Hobbit soon!) (Wait, is he the guy that directed Pan's Labyrinth? I haven't seen that but I want to) hmm. Well, if he is the guy that directed that, I fear that he would make all the effects look like the ones in that, you know how the creatures look kind of similar, It's the same person who directed Hellboy 2 and the creatures in that look a lot like the ones in Pan's Labyrinth. So I don't really want the trolls and such in AF to look the same as those.
We'll see how he does with The Hobbit.

I still think Peter Jackson would be the best (out of those three) because he is good at epic movies and has experience with the height changing thing and special effects. Plus, I feel like he has committment, like he would want to do the whole series. Also, he seems to like to turn books into movies. (with LOTR and The Lovely Bones)
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:15 pm

I'd possible like J J Abrams, who did Star Trek. The effects in that were majorlight awesome, and the character development was good too. I think, bearing in mind the director tells the actor where to move or in some cases what facial expressions etc., they do play a bit of a part in the characterization. The characterization in Star Trek was really good.

~Moist von Lipwig

Knarpulous
Mud Man

Postby Knarpulous » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:01 pm

It's true that not all character development is up to the director, but James Cameron is so involved with his movies, he helps write the scripts and everything, so he should be able to put more character development in his movies. The actors can only do so much.

I agree with J.J. Abrams, he would be a good director.

Yeah, Guillermo del Toro did Pans Labyrinth and Hellboy. I love his movies, but I can see how his effects don't really match AF.

Peter Jackson is ok. It just kinda bugs me that everyone pretty much worships him, even though he's really only done LotR and King Kong. LotR was good, but King Kong was boring to me. I can't comment on the Lovely Bones, I haven't seen it yet. He's not a bad director, I just haven't really seen enough of his work.

FoalysGirl
The Techie

Postby FoalysGirl » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:02 am

I can see Peter Jackson doing the movie.
"Edwin, what's the plural for Ox?"
"Oxen. The farmer used his oxen."
"Brian,"
"What?"
"What's the plural for box?"
"Boxen! I bought two boxen of doughnuts."

---Brain's stupid in school comedy skit

"I'm the dude, playing the dude, disguised as another dude." ----Tropic Thunder

"Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock." ------ Buffy season 6

"He was like....Napoleon!" ---Me

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:53 pm

I can see JJ Abrams more than the others, to be honest. He's done a fair bit of sci-fi/fantasy all rolled together, which'll give him experience in the genre.

~Moist von Lipwig

FoalysGirl
The Techie

Postby FoalysGirl » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:43 pm

Peter Jackson directed one of the most successful fantasy movies in movie history. He wouldn't just think of it as a fantasy-science fiction movie. He would find other layers to the movie. He even said about Lord of the Rings that he saw it not only as a fantasy movie but a historical movie. That's what made it so good. Not saying he should look at Artemis Fowl as a historical work, but he'll look at it differently as well as what it is. That's what makes him such a brilliant director for that movie.
"Edwin, what's the plural for Ox?"
"Oxen. The farmer used his oxen."
"Brian,"
"What?"
"What's the plural for box?"
"Boxen! I bought two boxen of doughnuts."

---Brain's stupid in school comedy skit

"I'm the dude, playing the dude, disguised as another dude." ----Tropic Thunder

"Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock." ------ Buffy season 6

"He was like....Napoleon!" ---Me

Return to “The Movie”