Who should Direct the movie?

The Artemis Fowl Movie is coming... On the 26th July 2013, Disney, in association with Harvey Weinstein, announced that a movie covering the events of the first two books was finally in the works!
Chitiliti
Commander
Real First Name: Cait
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Chitiliti

Re: Who should Direct the movie?

Postby Chitiliti » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:55 pm

Knarpulous wrote:I can't comment on the Lovely Bones, I haven't seen it yet. He's not a bad director, I just haven't really seen enough of his work.

Considering how The Lovely Bones is based off a book and Jackson basically edited the movie so that it wasn't so shocking and gruesome and completely ruined it... I'm not sure if I want him touching Artemis and doing the same thing.

FoalysGirl
The Techie

Postby FoalysGirl » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:02 pm

Chitiliti wrote:
Knarpulous wrote:I can't comment on the Lovely Bones, I haven't seen it yet. He's not a bad director, I just haven't really seen enough of his work.

Considering how The Lovely Bones is based off a book and Jackson basically edited the movie so that it wasn't so shocking and gruesome and completely ruined it... I'm not sure if I want him touching Artemis and doing the same thing.

Jackson had a different vision of the novel. Every director does, that doesn't mean that he'll completely destroy Artemis.
"Edwin, what's the plural for Ox?"
"Oxen. The farmer used his oxen."
"Brian,"
"What?"
"What's the plural for box?"
"Boxen! I bought two boxen of doughnuts."

---Brain's stupid in school comedy skit

"I'm the dude, playing the dude, disguised as another dude." ----Tropic Thunder

"Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock." ------ Buffy season 6

"He was like....Napoleon!" ---Me

Knarpulous
Mud Man
Real First Name: Jade

Postby Knarpulous » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:13 am

How do you know exactly that he ruined it? Have you seen it yet? It seemed a pretty popular movie, and by adding the actual murder of her it would make it probably rated R which cuts down the viewership considerably.

Chitiliti
Commander

Postby Chitiliti » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:13 pm

I'm just saying, if you want to make a movie based off someone else's hard work, stay true to it. If you want to edit it all up, make your own story. Its not fair to the author.

Knarpulous
Mud Man

Postby Knarpulous » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:16 pm

Not necessarily. Authors understand that some things they write about can't always be filmed. If every single thing in a book was included in a movie, Lord of the Rings would have been a heck of a lot longer than it was already.

And I haven't read the Lovely Bones, but it's kicking around my house, and from summaries I can tell that the majority of the movie focuses on what happens after her death. The violence and murder still happened, but off screen. He wanted it to be PG-13 so the most people would be able to see it.

FoalysGirl
The Techie

Postby FoalysGirl » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:38 pm

Some things are impossible to put onto the screen. Take for example a letter in a book. That's easy to read because obviously it's a book, but no one can read it on the screen to Directors have to visualize it. Also sometimes authors want to take out some things for the plot to make sense. Take Watchmen, Alan Moore does not have a distinct villain, so the Director took out the giant squid and just made Ozymandius the main villain instead of the misunderstood hero.
"Brian,"
"What?"

Chitiliti
Commander

Postby Chitiliti » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:53 am

I suppose you two are right, but something about it just makes me really uncomfortable. I want to see Artemis made into a movie as true to the book as possible. It DOES happen. I don't want this to be another Eragon movie.

FoalysGirl
The Techie

Postby FoalysGirl » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:42 am

It can't really go far off from the book if Eoin Colfer is helping to write the script.
"Brian,"
"What?"

Kelsey Rain (:
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name: KelseyRain
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Kelsey Rain

Postby Kelsey Rain (: » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:24 am

Like Angels and Demons? That was extremely true to the book :loveeyes:

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:50 pm

Chitiliti wrote:I suppose you two are right, but something about it just makes me really uncomfortable. I want to see Artemis made into a movie as true to the book as possible. It DOES happen. I don't want this to be another Eragon movie.

I haven't read Eragon, so I can't compare it to the books, but I agree with FoalysGirl that if EC is involved, it won't be ruined.

And yes, I agree with what they were saying about having to cut some parts out of books, like the murder/rape scene in Lovely Bones (which I haven't read either) but do you really want to see that on screen? However, there isn't anything like that in AF, and it's a pretty short book (compared to LOTR), so I don't think we'll have a problem of cutting scenes, at least, not many scenes.

BTW, JJ Abrams wouldn't be too bad. I love Star Trek, and Lost.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

CharlyxXx
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name: Charlotte
AFC Fan Fiction Name: CharlyxXx
Location: At H.I.V.E, typing away at the fairy computer I made.

Postby CharlyxXx » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:24 pm

lotrfan wrote:
Chitiliti wrote:I suppose you two are right, but something about it just makes me really uncomfortable. I want to see Artemis made into a movie as true to the book as possible. It DOES happen. I don't want this to be another Eragon movie.

I haven't read Eragon, so I can't compare it to the books, but I agree with FoalysGirl that if EC is involved, it won't be ruined.

And yes, I agree with what they were saying about having to cut some parts out of books, like the murder/rape scene in Lovely Bones (which I haven't read either) but do you really want to see that on screen? However, there isn't anything like that in AF, and it's a pretty short book (compared to LOTR), so I don't think we'll have a problem of cutting scenes, at least, not many scenes.

BTW, JJ Abrams wouldn't be too bad. I love Star Trek, and Lost.

Eragon was completely different to the book - in my opinion I didn't like the film as much as the book... I hope AF doesn't turn out like that...
I love Artemis Fowl (the series, duh
)
"I didn't trust Fowl when he was alive, and I definitely don't trust him now that he's dead." ~Julius Root
"I'm right there with you, darlin'. Unless you step on a landmine, in which case I'm way back in the Operations Room." ~Foaly
Visit http://xxxcharlyxxx.deviantart.com/ for my DeviantART profile

Knarpulous
Mud Man

Postby Knarpulous » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:56 am

The problem with Eragon was that the source material is weak and extremely close to other popular series in setting, plot, and characters. They wanted to change it a bit so people wouldn't make a huge fuss. The studio also didn't hire very good writers or a director, so it just kinda fizzled out.

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:04 am

Yeah, when I saw Eragon I just thought it was a complete rip off of Lord of the Rings. I mean, they were speaking some like elf language and stuff. That one guy was pretty cute though, not Eragon, the one with black hair. Wasn't that book written by a 16 year old kid or something? or was that something else? I keep meaning to read the books, but it seems like the movie was bad because the story is just bad, but I really have no idea.

Ok that was pretty much completely off topic.

Back on topic...who did direct that movie? Because I hope they don't direct AF.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Mrs Opal Fowl
Elf
Real First Name: Erika

Postby Mrs Opal Fowl » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:25 am

lotrfan wrote:Yeah, when I saw Eragon I just thought it was a complete rip off of Lord of the Rings. I mean, they were speaking some like elf language and stuff. That one guy was pretty cute though, not Eragon, the one with black hair. Wasn't that book written by a 16 year old kid or something? or was that something else? I keep meaning to read the books, but it seems like the movie was bad because the story is just bad, but I really have no idea.

Yeah, the black-haired guy (Murtagh) was pretty cute. And even without the movie, 'Eragon' was a BIT of a rip-off of LOTR. I still like it though, because I've never read LOTR. Only watched it.

Anyways, the story was good, but the movie is bad. Why? Did someone want Stephen Fangmeir as the director for AF?! Lord, have mercy of us all! If Fangmeir made the movie, it'll look like Twilight with short people in it! The horror!

I'd like Peter Jackson. Or James Cameron! You don't just direct 'Titanic', "Terminator', and 'Avatar' without potential.

Knarpulous
Mud Man

Postby Knarpulous » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:39 pm

Yeah, Eragon (the book) is pretty much the plot of the original Star Wars wrapped in the setting of LotR with some Dragonriders of Pern thrown in.

I wouldn't mind if Joss Whedon directed it. He did Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, and Dollhouse. He has a good sense of humor, and knows how to mix sci fi and fantasy.

Return to “The Movie”