Who should Direct the movie?

The Artemis Fowl Movie is coming... On the 26th July 2013, Disney, in association with Harvey Weinstein, announced that a movie covering the events of the first two books was finally in the works!
wolf106
Sprite
Real First Name:zaragosa
Location:over there....no right therre...uh i forget,whats the question.
Re: Who should Direct the movie?

Postby wolf106 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:10 am

i would think for JAMES CAMERON, he did titanic and avatar and they had the greatest special effects.
if im right im a prodigy,if im wrong im crazy,that how history works.-artemis fowl-
ingnorance is mankinds doom.-christmas present of charles dickens-
let go the dogs of war-shakespeare-
sons bury fathers in peace,fathers bury sons in war-artistotle-
when ever commander root smiles someone gonna be very sad-artic incident-
we all crazy here-artemis fowl ttp-
aint nothin like blastin goblins make your day right-me-
if you hate artenis fowl i will hunt you down and and make you read it or if you dont i wack you dozens time a day.=almost all AFC MEMBERS
Spoiler:
you look sucker lol haha T/H =GOOD AND ARTEMIS FOWL ROCKS

Kelsey Rain (:
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name:KelseyRain
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Kelsey Rain

Postby Kelsey Rain (: » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Now I think about it though, James Cameron is a great director, sure, but AF has an IMMENSE plot. It's nothing like we've really ever seen before (thats what makes AF so unique) and idk if he could make it stand out.

Cat Moon
Commander
Location:HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Postby Cat Moon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:20 pm

JJ Abrams carried the plot in Star Trek pretty well, and it was pretty complex, and his characters had more than one dimension as well. I'd really like him to direct AF.
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

Mrs Opal Fowl
Elf
Real First Name:Erika

Postby Mrs Opal Fowl » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:42 pm

Everyone keeps saying James Cameron. I wouldn't know. Sure he created two of the top-selling movies of all time (Avatar and Titanic), plus the Terminator ones. But will he be good directing a movie that HE didn't make? Because... AF isn't a script he wrote. What if he's like Chris Weitz, who makes a movie look awesome, but almost never follows the original storyline?

Well, as I said, I wouldn't know. Maybe he's already made a movie based off of something and managed not to turn it into crap.

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:55 pm

Everyone keeps saying James Cameron. I wouldn't know. Sure he created two of the top-selling movies of all time (Avatar and Titanic), plus the Terminator ones. But will he be good directing a movie that HE didn't make? Because... AF isn't a script he wrote. What if he's like Chris Weitz, who makes a movie look awesome, but almost never follows the original storyline?

Well, as I said, I wouldn't know. Maybe he's already made a movie based off of something and managed not to turn it into crap.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. He only makes movies that he creates. So he probably wouldn't even want to do a movie of a book. Someone who's better at adaptation would probably be better.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Kelsey Rain (:
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name:KelseyRain
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Kelsey Rain

Postby Kelsey Rain (: » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:52 pm

Well, Titanic wasn't exactly his creation, but the plot and characters were. But he followed all the other details of the tragedy perfectly.

ArtemisWannabe
Gremlin

Postby ArtemisWannabe » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:20 pm

Peter Jackson, Ridley Scott or Steven Spielberg.
I never tell anyone exactly how clever I am. They would be too scared.

-Artemis Fowl

Knarpulous
Mud Man
Real First Name:Jade

Postby Knarpulous » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:52 am

James Cameron has expressed interest in a Battle Angel Alita movie, which is originally a manga, so he isn't opposed to doing movies that weren't created by him.

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Well, I think someone else would probably rather do it.
What about a female director. Like Catherine Bigelow. She directed The Hurt Locker which is nominated for 9 oscars, including best director. I haven't seen it, or anything else she's directed, but it's supposed to be really good. And, she's James Cameron's ex-wife.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Cat Moon
Commander
Location:HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Postby Cat Moon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:17 pm

I've just watchede the Star Trek special features, and now I really really want JJ Abrams to do it! He's got so much energy; he's the driving force behind the movie. And he understands the tech, he films with anamorphic cameras to get flares, so he knows about those, and he knows loads of tech tricks to make filming smoother and Special Effect's jobs easier. Plus, he does a lot of on-location filming.
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

I rock
Pixie
Real First Name:Ponmathi
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Captain Grammar

Postby I rock » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:00 am

I like James Cameron
Though do you think their budget is big enough to get someone so famous?
ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I <3 The Blind Guardian....don't know what it is? GOOGLE TO DA RESCUE...
You can't spell Party without Arty....lolz
I <3 You
Yes, I mean you, you hunk...
AM I CREEPING YOU OUT YET?

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:57 pm

Though do you think their budget is big enough to get someone so famous?

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I don't think James Cameron would want to do it. But I think someone famous could still do it, if they have a normal size budget.

I think it would be awesome for Jerry Bruckheimer to produce it. I said this in another forum, but since Disney apparently has the rights to it, he could make it like POTC. He's a really good producer and he has his own company. And this kind of seems like something he would do.
ImageImage Image

Eltil
Swear Toad

Postby Eltil » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:52 am

Considering most people's opinions on what the Artemis Fowl movie should be like I will probably be in the minority but I think making it "Epic" would be a mistake. I have always thought that the first book had such a focused plot that spending too much money or time setting up the characters and setting would be the most obvious mistake. What I have in mind, and hear me out on this, is to use as few sets as possible and only the most economic camera work, to give Fowl manor a claustrophobic feeling, and to write the script as a psychological thriller focusing mostly on the the mental state of Artemis and Holly. It would be so easy to do, considering Artemis' family life, and the mental status of his mother, it would make a good focus for his character since his emotions were exclusive to his inner thoughts which obviously wouldn't translate to film. Holly on the other hand would have the most room to work with, first is the downright mental torture Artemis commited in the first book, not only did he lie about how long she was captive but he also claimed he drugged and questioned her and that she was the one who revealed his knowledge of the LEP and the hostage fund. Another interesting theme to apply would be the deteriorating trust between Artemis and Butler over the safety of Juliet. After all one of my favorite scenes from the first book is when Artemis gives them the champagne and Butler takes the time to tell Juliet he loves her before asking Artemis if he has to drink it and the argument between him and Artemis immediately after they awake. Obviously Butler trusts Artemis with his life but not so much with Juliet, that is my opinion at least.
As for who should direct, if it were a psychological thriller like I invision in my mind than my top choice would probably be Nicholas Meyer.
"There will be consequences for this, he thought. You can't alter time and be unaffected. But whatever the consequences are, I will bear them, because the alternative is too terible."- TLC

AthenaParadizo
Commander

Postby AthenaParadizo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:30 pm

A psychological thriller - great idea! I like all of the psychological aspects of AF myself, but I've never really thought about that before.
But wouldn't it be sort of - erhm - making a kid's book into an adult movie? That would disappoint lots of child fans of AF (not that I'd be disappointed; I think that's one of the best possible thing you could do with the movie :) ).

Eltil
Swear Toad

Postby Eltil » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:37 pm

Yes you are absolutely right. I don't really know why I enjoy that idea so much. perhaps it is because I am an adult now that I want to turn it into an adult movie, which would most likely alienate alot of fans, which would be wrong. I still think it would be an interesting take on the story though.
"There will be consequences for this, he thought. You can't alter time and be unaffected. But whatever the consequences are, I will bear them, because the alternative is too terible."- TLC

Return to “The Movie”