What do you NOT want to see in the movie?

The Artemis Fowl Movie is coming... On the 26th July 2013, Disney, in association with Harvey Weinstein, announced that a movie covering the events of the first two books was finally in the works!
levina
Centaur
Re: What do you NOT want to see in the movie?

Postby levina » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:49 am

There's a name for that (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... sonCasting) and many reasons why casting staff choose older people. Another one not mentioned on that page would be that they have more experience. That's probably why the kid playing Aang in The Last Airbender failed so hard.

AthenaParadizo
Commander

Postby AthenaParadizo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Yeah, the PJO movie was horrible. I'd be fine with a fourteen-year-old Artemis, but only if they slowed down his aging in the movie (like, 3 books to a year or so).

Emmi-Kat
Sprite
Real First Name:Emma

Postby Emmi-Kat » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:18 am

The Last Airbender was doomed to stink. The actors were bad, and story was messed up. D: I was not impressed.
Child actors don't always stink because of lack of experience. Just think of Harry Potter, or SJ from the Blindside.
"We all have our own time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams." ~Jeremy Irons

Check out my gallery on dA! http://emmi-kat.deviantart.com/

levina
Centaur

Postby levina » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:53 am

:)
Last edited by levina on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emmi-Kat
Sprite
Real First Name:Emma

Postby Emmi-Kat » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Not enough structure. They have to realize that what they're doing isn't just a game, etc. And too much sugar. XD
"We all have our own time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams." ~Jeremy Irons

Check out my gallery on dA! http://emmi-kat.deviantart.com/

elf_with_attitude
Cereal Killer
Real First Name:Holly
Location:You know that little voice in the back of your head telling you to kill people? Yeah...

Postby elf_with_attitude » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:09 am

americans with bad accents
pop music
kissing
anamation (Unless really really really good)
root with no moustache
missing out the lollipop scenes
This is to be our final transmission
The rebels have defeated our illustrious armies
They have damaged our intention of ugly and defiant malevolence
All that we love and care for will sink
Into the abyss of a new dark age
Made more sinister
And perhaps more protracted
By the light of perverted science and rebellion
The whole root and heavy core
Will perish in starving captivity
You will never win your freedom
You cannot escape... F.E.A.R.

artytwin
Pixie
Real First Name:Fatima

Postby artytwin » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:28 am

with elfitude! but the kissing has GOT to happen in... u now... TTP? otherwise it wont be the same. and ori would just be weird. oh and the mustache... i think he didnt have one. according to the GN i dont think he did.

Athena32
Goblin
AFC Fan Fiction Name:MyshiCorp

Postby Athena32 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:05 pm

I don't want to see any hint of romance between Artemis and Holly. That doesn't happen until the 6th book!
Unfortunately, movie directors often throw in a romance to make things more interesting.
I also don't want Holly to be portrayed as girly in any way. That would defeat the purpose of her character!
I'm fine, seeing as you asked.-Foaly
Gnommish… Gnommish… What blasted translation system doesn’t have Gnommish?

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:09 pm

Agreed, as this is just the first book (possibly incorporating the second, too) there should definitely not be any hint of romance between Artemis and Holly. But I don't think there should really be any danger of that unless they really make Artemis quite a bit older—(Artemis is like twelve in the first book, and even if he was in his late teens, I don't think the moviemakers would want to deal with the potential backlash at hinting at romance between an adult and a minor.) I'm banking on that anyway. XD!

But I know exactly what you mean, they do that quite a bit. (Like, in the Ender's Game movie, I feel like there might have been hints between Petra and Ender, which there were absolutely none in the original book, because Ender was like eleven, and Petra was older. Though maybe I'm just imagining that, it's been a while since I saw the movie.) I also watched the first Percy Jackson movie just recently (with everyone saying it was so bad, I was curious XD), and they added in quite a bit of romantic overtones between Percy and Annabeth, whereas in the books, I don't think that started until later in the series.

I think one of the things that will make or break the AF movie is if they're able to capture Artemis and Holly's relationship as friends (or, I suppose, enemies then almost-friends in the early books), while keeping from going in a romantic direction.

Yeah, a too-feminine Holly wouldn't fit her as she's portrayed in the books. But she's not a totally tough she-man either (note her comments in book one about using moisturizing to keep her ears from flaking); I've found she can be a really hard character to get right. (In fanfiction, I find portrayals of her character that really match how I see her pretty rare.) But I think there's a lot of directions the moviemakers could take Holly, so I'll be interested to see what they do. I think I'd rather see them go a little too masculine as opposed to too feminine, as as you said, that kind of portrayal would be really diametrically opposed to her her spirit as a character.

Another thing I wouldn't want to see is a movie that focuses too much on the humorous aspects of AF; that is, make it a movie that pushes it toward the humor genre. I like funny movies (certain Disney movies like The Lorax come to mind XD), but I would rather see an AF movie that leans more toward its spy aspects, with a bit of a dark feel, and awesome special effects when it comes to the magic and technology, with the humorous bits laced in. (Maybe toning down the stuff with Mulch. XD My dad keeps telling me the real reason they keep postponing the movie is that they can't figure out how to get Mulch fit for the screen...thanks, dad.)

All that being said, I really just want an AF movie. (I'm predisposed to love it no matter what they do, whether Artemis is twenty and Holly has luscious movie star hair.) I think what a lot of people didn't like about PJO was that it was so different from the book (characters were made to be teenagers instead of twelve-year olds, and the movie seemed more geared toward a teen audience than the original book, Annabeth had brown hair and romantic aspects were added in between her and Percy, and quite a few events of the books were switched around and not the same, and acting felt a little awkward at the start of the movie too, for some reason), but I thought it was enjoyable overall, and I'd be happy with an AF movie of the same level of production and similarity to the book as that was.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [An Artemis Fowl fanfiction, set after The Atlantic Complex.]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28 ... temis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:41 pm

I totally agree, I don't really want any romance between Holly and Artemis in the first movie, especially since it only combines it first two books (that's what I heard). And yeah, they did seem to add romance into the Ender's Game movie and the Percy Jackson movie. I really liked the Ender's Game movie anyways, but I wasn't very happy with the Percy Jackson one, probably because they changed so many aspects of the book. I really hope they don't do the same to Artemis Fowl.

Also, I agree that it shouldn't be just a humour movie. I mean, the books are hilarious and had me laughing out loud on a whole lot of bits, and the movie should definitely be funny, but they also focus on Artemis's character development, and Holly overcoming her dislike of humans, and a bit on environmental issues as well, and it would be awesome to get all that into the movie along with a bunch of gadgets and the genius plots.

And the there's Mulch. I have no idea how they're going to do him, but I can't wait to see. I hope people won't dismiss the movie as "just for kids" just because there's a flatulent dwarf in there.

Also, I can kinda understand just wanting an AF movie. I'd probably watch the movie even if a lot of people didn't like it and the plot wasn't anything like the books, just because it's Artemis Fowl. Besides, if it came out and I didn't watch it, my brain would nag me until I did.
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

Chitiliti
Commander
Real First Name:Cait
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Chitiliti

Postby Chitiliti » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:13 am

I know that the books are kind of saturated with it and then there is Mulch, but given that a lot of the original fanbase are adults now, I'd like to see a lot of the crude gross humor be left out. It's kinda not funny to me and i'd be embarassed in the movie theatre to have to sit though it. :/

i don't really want to get into an argument about this, either, but I'd be kind of upset if a white woman was cast to play Holly.

Sonic
Cave Troll

Postby Sonic » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:05 am

Yeh, you're right. That would be weird. I don't want a 5-footer to play Butler either. What I WANT to see is the Fowl Manor, because in the books there is some information about how it looks and what it is made of, but it's just not enough. I also want to see the all the chutes.
~Sonic

Arty1995
Centaur

Postby Arty1995 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:18 am

Mulch's bum.
Eternity Awards - Strangest member, 2010, 2011
Eternity Awards - Most Changed member, 2011
Eternity Awards - Looovers <3 AlaMulyMala, Conquer the world! 2012

Return to “The Movie”