What do you NOT want to see in the movie?

The Artemis Fowl Movie is coming... On the 26th July 2013, Disney, in association with Harvey Weinstein, announced that a movie covering the events of the first two books was finally in the works!
Knarpulous
Mud Man
Real First Name: Jade

What do you NOT want to see in the movie?

Postby Knarpulous » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:21 am

There are a lot of threads about what people do want in the movie, but what is it that you don't want to see in it? Also try to explain why.

For me:
- All CGI. A little is fine, it's even ok if they make the fairies completely CGI, just not the humans. Because if the humans are CGI, everything will be cartoonish and disproportioned, but if only the fairies are CGI, they will be more realistic.

- Any of the following directors: Tim Burton, Michael Bay, Cris Weisz. While I do like Burton's movies, his style does not fit the AF universe. Bay and Weisz's movies have a lot of really good effects, but not good scripts/plots.

- Any emo bands such as Evanescence or Linkin Park. For obvious reasons. Also not a lot if any pop music.

- Anyone over 35 playing Holly. That includes Halle Berry.

- Anyone over 15 playing Artemis. That includes Freddie Highmore, Tom Felton, Nicholas Hoult.

chinara
Dwarf
Location: In the back of your mind, corrupting your sense of right and wrong

Re: What do you NOT want to see in the movie?

Postby chinara » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:10 pm

I don't want cartoonish fairies since that would completely spoil it and A/H. DX And I don't want pop music in that movie.
Art, Banner and Icon by me

"Of course. Everyone and everything deserves to live. The only question is: How long will that be?"
- Kraz Noirame

"Because no one would believe his ranting about the
PaRaNOrMaL but the PaRaNOrMaL itself."
- Invader ZIM fanfic, RILZIT

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:39 pm

I don't want any music at all that isn't instrumental. That wouldn't work. it would be too much of a teenager-movie-ish thing, well, not necessarily teenager, but that kind of movie. And it's an action movie. Good action movies (apart from like superhero movies) don't have normal songs. (like LOTR, Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean) And they're awesome without it. The only way I wouldn't mind having songs would be in the background, but Artemis doesn't listen to normal music anyway, so it wouldn't fit.

I don't want to see Holly as older than like 22 really, especially if she has to have a romantic thing with Artemis (eventually), maybe even younger, 20.

Most importantly. NO Known Actors!! They all should be unknown! (well the main ones anyway) I wouldn't mind if Opal or Root were known, but Artemis, Holly, Butler should be unknown. And pretty much all the other fairies, like Trouble, Grub, Chix. I'm not sure about Foaly and Mulch, but probably unknown would be better. The reason: we don't need famous people taking away from the characters. We need new people who can establish themselves as these characters. Plus, if they were in something else, I would always think of them as that other person.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Chitiliti
Commander
Real First Name: Cait
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Chitiliti

Postby Chitiliti » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:46 pm

I don't want to see any big names attached to this, at all. I don't want to see cartoony CGI. I don't want to see Americans trying to put on bad Irish accents. I don't want to see Holly looking like a man, like some drawings I've seen, or looking too pretty.

kelly_holden
Sprite

Postby kelly_holden » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:52 pm

I'll have to second that Americans with bad accents thing.

Assuming a fully-live action picture, with CGI kept for effects, and the dual-scale thing like LotR used to make the fairies look short, though preferences for actor appearance would apply to character design if animation is used.

I don't want Holly played by a white woman or very light-skinned woman of colour, though I'd prefer the latter if we're not going to get Holly's real skin colour. I don't want Holly to be loaded with the femininity signifiers she rejects in the books, such long nails, long hair and make-up (obviously there will be make-up on the actress, even guys wear make-up in movies, but I mean theatrical make-up that's supposed to look made-up on the screen), just because women are 'supposed to' (which might clash with Chitili's "not looking like a man" thing, depending on exactly what she meant by it). I personally have no problem with the actress being absolutely stunning, just as long as she is so without those extraneous femininity signifiers. I'd prefer she wasn't voluptuous, given how Holly's figure is compared to a gymnast's -- I've made this point a few times, but high-level gymnasts do look remarkably like little girls, so to my mind at least, looking like a gymnast = not very curvy, though I would like some visible muscle, to prevent her kickass becoming waif-fu.
All the elves played by dark-skinned people would be awesome and make me a lifelong fan of the person responsible -- not just African origin dark, I mean like Sendhil Ramamurthy playing Trouble, and Ernie Dingo playing Root. (I dunno if they'd be any good in those roles, but I hear straight girls think Sendhil's pretty, and Ernie Dingo's an appropriate age)

Juliet and Butler I would really prefer they not be played by white people, I'd like it if they were visibly mixed race, or even played by unmixed Asians. Black people is right out, on account of the 'scary black man' connotations Butler might end up with.
Like Tolkien's creatures.
Artemis watched Holly stride towards the main doors.
If only, he thought. If only.

Due to it not supporting png transparency properly, my avatar will appear to have a light grey background if you use IE6. That's not what it's supposed to look like.

Cat Moon
Commander
Location: HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Postby Cat Moon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:24 pm

I don't want pop music, and I don't want it to be all brass. :laughing: I like strings.
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

I rock
Pixie
Real First Name: Ponmathi
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Captain Grammar

Postby I rock » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:52 pm

Pop?Artemis?who are u kidding? strings would be good
ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I <3 The Blind Guardian....don't know what it is? GOOGLE TO DA RESCUE...
You can't spell Party without Arty....lolz
I <3 You
Yes, I mean you, you hunk...
AM I CREEPING YOU OUT YET?

Mrs Opal Fowl
Elf
Real First Name: Erika

Postby Mrs Opal Fowl » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:20 pm

A chubby amateur for Artemis.
Kissing.

I rock
Pixie

Postby I rock » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:07 am

I'd totally hate it if they skipped out the good parts and added lame parts like they did in Lemony Snicket's A series of unfortunate events and Harry Potter

I <3 You

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:19 pm

Also, I don't want them to combine any of the books. Each book should have its own movie!
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

I rock
Pixie

Postby I rock » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:19 pm

lotrfan wrote:Also, I don't want them to combine any of the books. Each book should have its own movie!

Yeah!!!

I <3 You

GottaLoveArtemis
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name: Kathryn
AFC Fan Fiction Name: GottaLoveArtemis

Postby GottaLoveArtemis » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:44 am

What I don't what? Cartoons. If there are cartoon fairies in might just fall on the floor writhing. Or twitching. And please don't, please don't, PLEASE DON'T change the ending! The ending Eoin Colfer originally wrote it good enough!
Artemis Fowl is my NEIGHBOR.

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm

GottaLoveArtemis wrote:What I don't what? Cartoons. If there are cartoon fairies in might just fall on the floor writhing. Or twitching. And please don't, please don't, PLEASE DON'T change the ending! The ending Eoin Colfer originally wrote it good enough!

Yeah, they shouldn't change anything. They should stick to the books 100%!!
ImageImage Image

Cat Moon
Commander
Location: HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Postby Cat Moon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:10 am

I kinda think the movies should do some new stuff, because otherwise you haven't broken any new ground, or done anything new with the characters. Take PJ, the plot's pretty different, but there's still room to do the rest of the series. Although the end confrontation was different, the alley for sequels is still open.
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

I rock
Pixie

Postby I rock » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:07 pm

Oh, have you seen PJ yet?
It's not yet out where I live

I <3 You

Return to “The Movie”