Should There Really Be A Movie?

The Artemis Fowl Movie is coming... On the 26th July 2013, Disney, in association with Harvey Weinstein, announced that a movie covering the events of the first two books was finally in the works!
Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People
Real First Name:Matt
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Matt
Re: Should There Really Be A Movie?

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:26 pm

And maybe by making the movie, they will introduce more people to the books!
This is the main thing I'm excited about. Look at all the big book series that were turned into movies - it just dramatically increases how many people read the books. Even if they only release the first movie, I imagine hundreds-of-thousands if not millions of people will pick up the books and carry on the AF journey...

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:56 am

I think it would certainly rekindle interest in the AF series, and like you say, garner some new fans. I would love to see that, we could really use that right now. These people...they keep teasing us. XD (Is there going to be a movie or isn't there??)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [An Artemis Fowl fanfiction, set after The Atlantic Complex.]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28 ... temis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People
Real First Name:Matt
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Matt

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:05 am

My thoughts exactly! Massive teasing.

I mean, we got a huge press release on all the big news sites (BBC, Guardian, etc) nearly two years ago now going on about the film moving ahead and... two years on, nothing.

:eyeroll:

La Souris Bleue
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name:Alice

Postby La Souris Bleue » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:19 pm

Hey, my turn to give my opinion :) (why is everybody running away when I say that ?)
AF is without a doubt a very, very cinemtographic series. When I first read it I immediately thought that this was written to become a movie.
I do hope there will be a movie, I'm glad Harvey Weinstein is on it because this guy produced a lot of good movies (like many of the Tarantinos for example), but I'm really afraid about the Disney part. I'm not going to make a lot of friends 'round here, but I've hated all Disney classics even as a kid, and though I know they did produce some nice stuff, I can't imagine Disney as nothing else but a big company who cares more about the business than the real quality of the product. Welcome to Hollywood, babe --'
But the thing that creeps me out the most is this idea of mixing the two first books into one movie. I DO get why they would do that, because the first book is more of a ''huit-clos'' (can't find how this translates) and the second is more packed with action, but... Doing this would only mean cut a lot of scenes, most likely developing-character-scenes so the viewer doesn't get bored, and the movie would only look like an empty stupid blockbuster. It really scares me, because the book changed my life so much (really, if I hadn't read the books I wouldn't have my best friend and would have most likely fallen into depression even before high school, no kiddings), because it was NOT like any other children book, the tone, the characters, the story, all of this was unique and I won't bare it to be turned into another spiritless blockbuster.
To me the only hope is the quality of the team, especially the director. The very, very best would be Guillermo del Toro ; this guy directed a lot of excellent movies (like the masterpiece Pan's Labyrinth), but most of all he has a real vision and universe, which could make the movie as unique as the book is. He's one of the only directors I know that can both keep the spirit of the original work and make it his own - for example, look at the Hellboy movies.

But even if Michael Bay is to direct the movie (may Zeus help us all in this case), I'll go watch it, because an AF movie is everything I've ever dreamed of since I'm 11. Now I'm only waiting to see if I'll go out of the cinema crying from happiness or extreme despair :)
''T'es juste assez intelligent pour te rendre compte que tu l'es pas assez ; c'est déjà pas si mal.''
~ J'aimerais pas crever un dimanche

NerdGurl
Gremlin
Real First Name:Kaeli
AFC Fan Fiction Name:NerdGurl

Postby NerdGurl » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:13 am

ArtemisSt.Crow I completely agree.

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:57 pm

I want a movie because if there isn't one, I will forever wonder what it would've been like if there had been. If they release a movie, there's a chance it'll be good and a chance it'll be bad, but I really just want to see it. If it's good we can break out the popcorn and cheer on the forums, if it's awful we can, after much bashing, decide to pretend that it doesn't exist, unless we want to bash it some more, Also, I agree with a lot of the above people, if people see the movie they'll be more likely to read the book.
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

Return to “The Movie”