The director - Lawrence Guterman

The Artemis Fowl Movie is coming... On the 26th July 2013, Disney, in association with Harvey Weinstein, announced that a movie covering the events of the first two books was finally in the works!
Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:11 pm

Mortifus wrote:For the love of god, so long as they do not mess about with the plotline AT ALL I will be happy. Change anything in the actual story and I will be extremely displeased. Fans don't want a new experience from the story, they want the book, on film.

That's ALL.

Why is it so difficult for hollywood to understand that? They butchered Harry Potter, maimed StormBreaker's ending, gutted Lord of the Rings, and will no doubt be drawing and quartering Eragon. I fear for the Fowl legacy. I truly do.

There are (apparently) more people who haven't read the book than people who have. Therefore, Hollywood assumes that the majority of the audience is looking for a good movie, not an adaptation of a book.

The movie has to be made in a way so that the non-readers can understand it without reading the book. (TLOTR failed a bit in that aspect.)

Don't get me wrong, I hate it when they mess up the storyline. The Sum of All Fears is different, Jurassic Park was slaughtered (in the book, Hammond is some mean-tempered businessman, not a friendly grandfather as depicted in the movie). (And what's more, the author of the book was the scriptwriter!)

But if you look it from the scriptwriter's perspective, it's impossible to copy the book completely. Some things just can't be translated. And then there's the time issue. Not many people will want to sit around for three hours...

Anyway, to sum it up, Hollywood doesn't really care whether it's like the book or not. They just care about getting money. To do this, they aim the movie at the "majority," the non-readers. And it's almost impossible for a scriptwriter to not change the book.
Image Image
My Artemis Fowl game: Part One | Part Two | Part Three

Stupid Ape
Centaur

Postby Stupid Ape » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:32 am

Personally im not too bothered if the script is improved as long as it works as a film and captures the essence of the Artemis Fowl Universe thats enough for me (but i am fairly easily pleased)
God changes Lives. Will you let him change yours?

Mortifus
Mud Man

Postby Mortifus » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:48 am

Gus wrote:But if you look it from the scriptwriter's perspective, it's impossible to copy the book completely. Some things just can't be translated. And then there's the time issue. Not many people will want to sit around for three hours...

Not true, they translated The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe perfectly to screen. Fair enough they added one scene in at the begining, but that's akin to an establishing shot!

I've studied film and media at university (I'm not studying at the moment though) and it's entirely possible to adapt a book perfectly to screen without ANY loss of vital information. There are ways of showing what has happened beyond that of normal dialogue. For instance, with Artemis' father being missing from the film, there are one or two ways of getting that information to the audience, the first and most obvious way would be to twist what Angeline Fowl says when Artemis checks in on her before decyphering the book. That is completely against what I'd chose to do, instead, when Artemis instructs butler to shut down the computers, i'd show a medium length shot of the headline of a story which would read 'Artemis Fowl Senior Feared Dead In Bay Of Kola!- Russian Mafiya suspected of sinking 'Fowl Star'', perhaps a picture of the tycoon standing proudly with his son at cast off, any measure of things can be constructed to deliver meaning. Seriously, give me a scene, any scene where there is some sort of internal thought or back-story and I'll find a way to deliver that information with minimal bastardisation of the original piece. It's simple manipulation or what is refered to as Inference

Say what has happened is that a monster has arrived and killed a family, it leaves bloodstains all over the p[lace, but no-one has any idea that it wasn't actually a Human killing another human. A way to show this may be to show cut scenes interstitched with he deaths of those people, perhaps with some animalistic growling or shadows that do not in any way resemble another human being. The audience, from the 'subtle' (though not in this case) clues can piece together what the characters cannot, and therefore deliver a sort of... irony I suppose. It's like going to a pantomime and seing the bad witch in the background, screaming your lungs out at the main character because you can see she's going to get them, but they then completely ignore you. same sort of feeling/manipulation.

Film is a wonderful tool, I really wish I was properly certified as a film director (mind you, you don't actually NEED any training), i'd approach Eoin with my proposal of how to keep it as true to the books as possible-whilst delivering all the important subtext. Mind you, he might not actually want the film kept true to the book, but I think it would be a real shame if it weren't. The damn book reads like a hollywood action film anyway!
I am generic Sci-Fi Race #123214457662-b
Resistance is FUTILE.
Take me to Sarah Connor.

Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:24 am

Mortifus wrote:
Gus wrote:But if you look it from the scriptwriter's perspective, it's impossible to copy the book completely. Some things just can't be translated. And then there's the time issue. Not many people will want to sit around for three hours...

Not true, they translated The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe perfectly to screen. Fair enough they added one scene in at the begining, but that's akin to an establishing shot!

That's all opinionated.

Besides, you can't please anybody. Say the AF film pleases you. But it doesn't please me. Or vice versa.

Mortifus wrote:Seriously, give me a scene, any scene where there is some sort of internal thought or back-story and I'll find a way to deliver that information with minimal bastardisation of the original piece. It's simple manipulation or what is refered to as Inference

True, hinting at stuff can be a very useful technique. Unfortunately, some people need it spelled out, especially if they've never read the book and are watching it for the first time.

Mortifus wrote:Film is a wonderful tool, I really wish I was properly certified as a film director (mind you, you don't actually NEED any training), i'd approach Eoin with my proposal of how to keep it as true to the books as possible-whilst delivering all the important subtext. Mind you, he might not actually want the film kept true to the book, but I think it would be a real shame if it weren't. The damn book reads like a hollywood action film anyway!

Actually... there's already a director... and I think he said something that the end would be completely new and exciting - but keeping with the spirit of the book and being recognisable.
Image Image

Diana
Ruler of the People

Postby Diana » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:04 am

Gus wrote:Besides, you can't please anybody. Say the AF film pleases you. But it doesn't please me. Or vice versa.

[s]Don't you mean everybody?[/s] Razz

Gus wrote:
Mortifus wrote:Seriously, give me a scene, any scene where there is some sort of internal thought or back-story and I'll find a way to deliver that information with minimal bastardisation of the original piece. It's simple manipulation or what is refered to as Inference

True, hinting at stuff can be a very useful technique. Unfortunately, some people need it spelled out, especially if they've never read the book and are watching it for the first time.

Yeah... I wish that people weren't so thick-headed sometimes, because I HATE when things are spelled out for me in such a clear and limiting manner... But unfortunately, there are more people who need to be told exactly what's happening than there are people like me, who don't. *sigh*

Anyway, as long as the movie stays reasonably close to the books, isn't corny/forced/lame/etc. and comes out SOON, I shall be reasonably happy. Razz (And btw Mortifus, you sound like you'd make a really good director... I hope you get certified soon!)
(My avatar was given its awesome existence by the benevolent Voldy.
If Cuddy doesn't look familiar, don't talk to me till you've clicked this.)

Mortifus
Mud Man

Postby Mortifus » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:59 pm

Gus wrote:
Mortifus wrote:

That's all opinionated.

Besides, you can't please anybody. Say the AF film pleases you. But it doesn't please me. Or vice versa.

Mortifus wrote:Film is a wonderful tool, I really wish I was properly certified as a film director (mind you, you don't actually NEED any training), i'd approach Eoin with my proposal of how to keep it as true to the books as possible-whilst delivering all the important subtext. Mind you, he might not actually want the film kept true to the book, but I think it would be a real shame if it weren't. The damn book reads like a hollywood action film anyway!

Actually... there's already a director... and I think he said something that the end would be completely new and exciting - but keeping with the spirit of the book and being recognisable.

I like the ending as it presently stands. Call me a puritan if you must.

As for not entertaining everyone, I never said that I would be able to, I simply stated that a lot less people would be annoyed with the film should it be kept faithful to the book. And finally, I would be quite happy to park my bum for three hours to watch a faithful screening of Artemis Fowl, they did for Lord Of The Rings, and that had a lot of cut scenes.
I am generic Sci-Fi Race #123214457662-b
Resistance is FUTILE.
Take me to Sarah Connor.

Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:09 pm

Mortifus wrote:As for not entertaining everyone, I never said that I would be able to, I simply stated that a lot less people would be annoyed with the film should it be kept faithful to the book. And finally, I would be quite happy to park my bum for three hours to watch a faithful screening of Artemis Fowl, they did for Lord Of The Rings, and that had a lot of cut scenes.

(My emphasis)

Really? This is where Hollywood's thinking steps in. Does keeping it faithful to the book please more people? Are the readers a larger percentage of the audience, or is the majority simply non!readers looking for a good movie? Will adding in every little bit like that be better for the non!readers?

Simply put, Hollywood is not interested in making an adaptation. They're just trying to make money, and the best way (in their opinion) is to make a movie backed by a book that's supposedly (supposedly because most of the viewers haven't read it, and have only heard from reviews and friends) good.

Anyway, take 2001: A Space Oddyssey as an example. Movie was directed by Stanley Kubrick, book was written by Clarke. Both of them collaborated and wrote the idea; one person made it into a film, the other made it into a book. Same story. But it's special.

The movie was not an adaptation of the book. The book was not a novelisation of the movie. They were both telling the same story - in a different way. And things changed, even though both of them worked on both medium.
Image Image

michelle439731
Tunnel Blue Spider

Postby michelle439731 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:42 pm

There are many things that you can do in a book that you just cannot do in film. Many scenes from Lord of the Rings are just people sitting around talking about things. There could have been a whole movie called the Council of Elrond but things have to be kept moving. Re-read the last chapters of Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix, Dumbledore just sits and talks to Harry, that is no way to end a film. It has to have a bang factor.

I can see why they want to change the end. It's not terribly explosive is it. Wonderful on page but imagine it on screen:

Artemis and co drink some champane and slump to the floor
bright blue light
LEP investigate and throw up, Artemis is alive
LEP pack up
Artemis wakes, explains to Butler, greets his mother
epiloge

All this after a kick ass Troll smack down by Butler.

Books just do not transfer smoothly onto screen. Apart from The Godfather of cource but there are many unique and wonderful things about The Godfather not least that it's sequal is better than the original.

michelle439731

Return to “The Movie”