Artemis Fowl Actor Casting Call

The Artemis Fowl Movie is coming... On the 26th July 2013, Disney, in association with Harvey Weinstein, announced that a movie covering the events of the first two books was finally in the works!
ApolloFowl
Cave Troll
Artemis Fowl Actor Casting Call

Postby ApolloFowl » Wed May 17, 2017 6:50 pm

For those of you who don't know, Disney Called for auditions for actors to Play Artemis in the upcoming movie.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2017/0 ... in-colfer/

What they are asking for is this:
The production team are looking for a male Irish actor aged between nine and 12 of any ethnicity to audition for the role.
This tells us several things.

1) The actor will be Irish.
This is good since the original character is Irish.

2) The character can be any ethnicity.
This means that the character may not be white. I personally couldn't care less, since Artemis's ethinicy is not even slightly important in the books. However, If Artemis is not white, we may get some fan backlash.

3) The actor will be between the age of nine and twelve.
This is both a good and bad thing. Artemis being 12 would be more loyal to the books. However, There are disadvantages to this. Younger kids are not known to be great actors, and Artemis would be a difficult role to play. I partially hoped that the actor would be around 15 or 16.

Vafon
Cave Troll

Re: Artemis Fowl Actor Casting Call

Postby Vafon » Mon May 22, 2017 9:06 am

Well there will be bad news and also some good news:

***first of all, the actor is definitly Irish and obviously has Irish accent which is a great thing as you already said. But the age? I am not worried about that much! its not 2000s is it? Now days you can see many many young actors or actresses at this age playing great. For example remember the movie Room playing by the Jacob Tremblay who was "9" in 2015. Or the Netflix's new series Stranger thing where u can find Millie Bobby Brown age 13 and Noah Schnapp 12 and they are playing pretty well (and many more movies even Logan!) I agree that playing the character Artemis Fowl is actually the most important, kinda difficult and crusial role in the movie to impress people but still I think they CAN find THE ONE. I hope so! 8) And remember if they decide to make more AF movies (THEY GONNA) just imagine how mature and old Artemis gonna be in 2nd movie (or 3rd even).

***The actor is going to be a new talent which means no experience. The bright side is nobody knows him, so he can be like a daniel radcliffe as in Harry potter. But the dark side though... You know :eyeroll:

***He is not gonna be black trust me. or Asian or Latin or any of them. Its Ireland :laughing:

***THIS IS WHAT I CAN NOT IMAGINE IN THE MOVIE : "The Wexford author previously said he would like Saoirse Ronan to play one of the lead roles in the big-screen adaptation." :( lead roles means Holly Short right? I cant picture her as Holly Short :| no way! Opal Koboi? never she doesn't look kinda evil! Juliet Butler? she is too old for that. so..

***My huge concern now is script. I dont know how they gonna make 1st and 2nd book in one movie. There is only one way and that is making a film long enough to cover every "important" detail. something like 2h30m (or even more) But we never know maybe McPherson is a genius. :zzz: :thumbsup:

But totally I trust disney. they ready to pay, the dont play around and they are serious. Kenneth Branagh is not THAT high profile DIRECTOR but still I believe he can do it. Harvey and Robert De Niro are another huge names in this upcoming movie and as I know Lucy Bevan as casting director Artemis gonna be fine :laughing: And definitly we gonna see more famous faces in this GONNA BE GREAT movie! :thumbsup:

Merv Simestra
Commander
Real First Name:Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Wed May 24, 2017 5:11 am

For those of you who don't know, Disney Called for auditions for actors to Play Artemis in the upcoming movie.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2017/0 ... in-colfer/

What they are asking for is this:
The production team are looking for a male Irish actor aged between nine and 12 of any ethnicity to audition for the role.
But totally I trust disney. they ready to pay, the dont play around and they are serious. Kenneth Branagh is not THAT high profile DIRECTOR but still I believe he can do it. Harvey and Robert De Niro are another huge names in this upcoming movie and as I know Lucy Bevan as casting director Artemis gonna be fine :laughing: And definitly we gonna see more famous faces in this GONNA BE GREAT movie! :thumbsup:
First of all, welcome to both of you, and thank you guys so much for bringing the casting call to us. I saw it on Facebook and tumblr afterwards, but Apollo posted it here first. Enjoy your time on the boards, and I apologize for not getting to responding to this earlier. Graduation is a killer time. :P

I do have one complaint about the casting call, and that's that apparently Artemis was described as warm-hearted, kind, and had a good sense of humor. Now, that definitely happened later in the series, but the first two books? Yeah, no. Artemis was a pretty cold guy at that point. I'm a little nervous about how they'll cast Artemis based on that. Otherwise, my hopes are... relatively medium. It's Hollywood. They never do a book-to-movie perfectly. :P
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.
Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.
Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Yona of the Dawn, Most Epic Romantic Manga

Shut up, I know I'm trash.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Fri May 26, 2017 8:06 am

!!!! It's really happening then? Really? (I had no idea about this, I'm pretty much disconnected from all social media. x3)

I like that they'll be going for an Irish actor for Artemis, so he'll have an authentic Irish accent. I think it's also nice they'll be trying to go for someone around the right age, though I wouldn't have been opposed to them casting someone a bit older. I do think it would be a bit odd if they cast Artemis as black, as he is specifically described as 'pale as a vampire' in the books, but I agree his ethnicity isn't really a big focus, so it makes more sense to leave it more open to get someone who has the right vibe. I admit, I will be disappointed if they cast Holly as white, though. (That just clashes so much with my mental image of her.) I also would kind of like to see the Asian features for Juliet and Butler (as they are supposed to be Eurasian), but who knows if they'll go that far, I'm sure the casting will be hard enough without trying to be that obsessive. (I doubt this movie will have quite the budget and attention of an HP movie, but who knows.)

I'm also a bit curious whether they will cast Opal as Asian. There is no mention of Opal having any Asian features, but in the Nathaniel Parker audiobooks, he gives her a Japanese accent.

I'm also not sure how they're going to get both books 1 and 2 together in one movie--but, I guess both books are relatively short, and I think it makes sense as, in some ways, books 1 and 2 were almost kind of written as two parts to one book (it's obvious Colfer had book 2 planned out pretty thoroughly when book 1 came out, as he makes plenty of oblique references and hints about it in book 1). Plus, it also makes sense to end the story on a note of the protagonists being forced to work together. I'm really interested to see how they'll structure the movie, and how different they'll go in terms of ordering scenes, and so on. (Hopefully it won't feel rushed, I also hope it'll be a pretty long movie.)

Anyway, definitely exciting news, thanks so much for pointing it out. I really, honestly can't believe it may actually be happening. The movie is just what this fandom needs right now.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [An Artemis Fowl fanfiction, set after The Atlantic Complex.]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28 ... temis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Vafon
Cave Troll

Postby Vafon » Fri May 26, 2017 11:36 am

Guys now I have a very good feeling about this "casting call" because of this : (latest news)

http://www.southernstar.ie/news/roundup ... ity-venue/
:blink:

Minervalover
Gremlin
Location:Hogwarts, Camp-Half Blood, T.A.R.D.I.S, Dauntless hedquarters, Asgard, Middle Earth, Haven, 221B.

Postby Minervalover » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:20 pm

to be honest, when i first heard about the movie back in 2013 i was so excited...but then i heard that Disney was involved and I immediately felt like it was going to be a failure. Don't get me wrong, Disney i AMAZING, but I don't feel confident that they could pull off a movie adaption of Artemis Fowl :(
I do have one complaint about the casting call, and that's that apparently Artemis was described as warm-hearted, kind, and had a good sense of humor. Now, that definitely happened later in the series, but the first two books? Yeah, no. Artemis was a pretty cold guy at that point. I'm a little nervous about how they'll cast Artemis based on that. Otherwise, my hopes are... relatively medium. It's Hollywood. They never do a book-to-movie perfectly. :P
(except the hunger games. Best and most accurate book-to-movie adaption ever)
This scares me. He didn't become a beautiful cinnamon roll until like book four or five, and i guess changing him into a good guy from the beginning would affect the plot.
Wait-good sense of humor?
???
????????
I hope this doesn't turn out like the pjo movies T-T

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:14 pm

Looks like they're going to have a lot of options as far as Artemis goes, that's great.

To be honest, I'm not really looking for the movie to be of Hunger-Games or Lord of the Rings level production (I know AF is popular, but I don't know if the fandom is as big as those to support that big of a budget, and the director would have to be, not just a fan, but a psychotically obsessed one, which I find doubtful), but I'm just really excited to see what they come up with. And also, just to have an AF movie out there. Even if the movie isn't all that good, it's likely to generate new interest in the books again and bring an influx of new fans, which is something this fandom could really use right now.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [An Artemis Fowl fanfiction, set after The Atlantic Complex.]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28 ... temis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Return to “The Movie”