Official Release Date

The Artemis Fowl Movie is coming... On the 26th July 2013, Disney, in association with Harvey Weinstein, announced that a movie covering the events of the first two books was finally in the works!
Vafon
Cave Troll
Official Release Date

Postby Vafon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 am

According to IMDB the official release date for Artemis Fowl is "9 August 2019".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3089630/
And the current status is no longer "announced". It is "pre-production" now which means it is officially started. 2 years is not what I expected but I think that means it's gonna be huge! :loveeyes:

Merv Simestra
Commander
Real First Name:Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Merv Simetra

Re: Official Release Date

Postby Merv Simestra » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:39 am

It's a thing. We're actually getting it.... ABOUT DANG TIME!!!
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.
Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.
Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Yona of the Dawn, Most Epic Romantic Manga

Shut up, I know I'm trash.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:49 am

No. Way.

It's really happening. (I'm in shock right now. After so many years of vague rumors, we finally get something concrete.)

It's still two years away, but considering I think they first talked about this movie about fifteen years ago, it doesn't seem like all that long. (We're way past the twelve-year Azkaban reference.) I bet we'll start getting movie trailers for it a year.

Yeah...still in shock.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [An Artemis Fowl fanfiction, set after The Atlantic Complex.]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28 ... temis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Minervalover
Gremlin
Location:Hogwarts, Camp-Half Blood, T.A.R.D.I.S, Dauntless hedquarters, Asgard, Middle Earth, Haven, 221B.

Postby Minervalover » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:01 am

i always new it was going to happen because Disney bought the rights in 2013 and Disney usually picks up all projects. But now I'm super excited because the cast was announced and they're not that bad! ( just a bit annoyed that Julius is a female because:
1- he was supposed to be a father figure to Holly
2- she was supposed to be the first best female officer or something like that

but other than that WE"RE GETTING A MOVIE PEOPLE

tornadocondoc
Cosplays Too Much
Real First Name:Max

Postby tornadocondoc » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:32 pm

JOSH GAD IS MULCH.
JOSH GAD IS GONNA BE MULCH

Let me tell you I freaked the heck out when I saw that casting announcement. He's become my FAVORITE actor after BATB, and you bet your sweet buns I'm gonna find some shots of his costume as Mulch and MAKE IT.

I don't mind Lady Root so much-- because honestly Holly being the first LEP female honestly always felt wrong and terribly sexist-- especially for a society that's supposedly far more cultured than the Mud Men. Gender discrimination should be a thing of the past for them, and was really only relevant to put more weight on the character of Holly in the first book.

She could be a pioneer in other ways-- the first Elf in the unit, if need be. But Holly is so much more than 'the first female'-- she's a maverick and her gender shouldn't have anything to do with that.
LOOK I MADE A SIGNATURE GO ME

Troublelover16
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name:Faith
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Troublelover16

Postby Troublelover16 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:05 am

Yeah, I'm pretty okay with the casting for Mulch, Bulter, and even Artemis himself. I'm sure they'll all do wondfully and I'm exicted that we've got some new people and well known people as well.

I'm still pretty miffed about Root, as he was just an iconic character for the first half of the series, but well, all I can really say is that Julia Root better be kick ass. But in the case of Holly, I'm just... Disney better have good explainations for casting a child in the role of an adult. I mean... maybe they just don't want to use a lot of CGI? But even that doesn't make sense because techincally as a dwarf, Mulch is several inches shorter than an elf. So I don't know. It's confusing and infuriating that they can't follow the source material correctly, but well, I'm still giving it a chance, but so far I don't have high hopes for the movie. I'm thinking it might end up like Percy Jackson.

Troublelover's Song of the Moment:
~A Million Dreams-The Greatest Showman~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSQk-4f ... &index=268
Spoiler:
They can say, they can say it all sounds crazy
They can say, they can say I've lost my mind
I don't care, I don't care, so call me crazy
We can live in a world that we design

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
Oh, a million dreams for the world we're gonna make
2013 EA Winner of: The Friendly One, Best Taste in Avatars and Signatures,
Biggest AF Fanboy/Girl, Most Valued Non-Staff Contributor, Most Changed

2014/15 EA Winner of: Biggest Non-AF Fanboy/Girl

Merv Simestra
Commander
Real First Name:Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:37 am

I don't mind Lady Root so much-- because honestly Holly being the first LEP female honestly always felt wrong and terribly sexist-- especially for a society that's supposedly far more cultured than the Mud Men. Gender discrimination should be a thing of the past for them, and was really only relevant to put more weight on the character of Holly in the first book.

She could be a pioneer in other ways-- the first Elf in the unit, if need be. But Holly is so much more than 'the first female'-- she's a maverick and her gender shouldn't have anything to do with that.
I'm still pretty miffed about Root, as he was just an iconic character for the first half of the series, but well, all I can really say is that Julia Root better be kick ass. But in the case of Holly, I'm just... Disney better have good explainations for casting a child in the role of an adult. I mean... maybe they just don't want to use a lot of CGI? But even that doesn't make sense because techincally as a dwarf, Mulch is several inches shorter than an elf. So I don't know. It's confusing and infuriating that they can't follow the source material correctly, but well, I'm still giving it a chance, but so far I don't have high hopes for the movie. I'm thinking it might end up like Percy Jackson.
For me, Root's character should be male because of the specific father-daughter like relationship he and Holly develop up until The Opal Deception. It's his character development that is one of the more striking ones next Artemis's own development. So Root as female kind of rubs me wrong. But as Trouble said, Julia Root better be the best damn Root ever for them to justify changing his character.

I did take a look to find out how young Lara, Holly's actress is. She appears to be 15, which isn't as young as I thought she was. Still younger than I would have liked, but she's at least now as old as Alexa Vega was in Spy Kids, which makes me more comfortable. I think for now, we'll just have to see.
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.
Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.
Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Yona of the Dawn, Most Epic Romantic Manga

Shut up, I know I'm trash.

Troublelover16
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name:Faith
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Troublelover16

Postby Troublelover16 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:48 pm

For me, Root's character should be male because of the specific father-daughter like relationship he and Holly develop up until The Opal Deception. It's his character development that is one of the more striking ones next Artemis's own development. So Root as male kind of rubs me wrong. But as Trouble said, Julia Root better be the best damn Root ever for them to justify changing his character.

I did take a look to find out how young Lara, Holly's actress is. She appears to be 15, which isn't as young as I thought she was. Still younger than I would have liked, but she's at least now as old as Alexa Vega was in Spy Kids, which makes me more comfortable. I think for now, we'll just have to see.
Yes exactly! Holly and Root's relationship is one of the biggest things in the series for me! But perhaps they'll be doing sort of a mother-daughter thing with them, which could work I suppose?

And yeah, it does make it a bit better that she's a bit older. I thought she was like 12 or 13, so 15 is a bit better. I just hope Disney knows what they're doing so I guess we'll just have to wait and see who they cast for other people.

Troublelover's Song of the Moment:
~A Million Dreams-The Greatest Showman~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSQk-4f ... &index=268
Spoiler:
They can say, they can say it all sounds crazy
They can say, they can say I've lost my mind
I don't care, I don't care, so call me crazy
We can live in a world that we design

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
Oh, a million dreams for the world we're gonna make
2013 EA Winner of: The Friendly One, Best Taste in Avatars and Signatures,
Biggest AF Fanboy/Girl, Most Valued Non-Staff Contributor, Most Changed

2014/15 EA Winner of: Biggest Non-AF Fanboy/Girl

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:24 am

I'm really interested to see what they do with they changes they've made, it will definitely make it a different kind of story, but I don't mind that too much if they do a good job with it. A female Root is definitely unexpected, but weirdly, Judi Dench somehow fit the mental image of a female Root I didn't know I had. (It will definitely be a different dynamic between Holly and a female Root, but I'm interested to see how they play it. If the idea of fighting sexism in the LEP is still a theme they keep in the movie, a female Root makes her position on the matter easier to convey, although it may be less meaningful, in that part of the appeal of the original books was the idea that Root just comes off as this tough guy type who doesn't want women interfering in his boys' club, but in fact does value equality and recognizes Holly for the great officer she is.)

I did find the pick for Holly strange--that seems to indicate they're going for a completely different feel from the original book, in choosing an actress who will give the impression of being around Artemis's own age. (Even though the actress is actually 15, I've heard it's pretty common for actors/actresses to be chosen for roles that are a few years younger than they are, because for whatever reason, audiences tend to have mental images of people who are specific ages to look older than they typically do in real life. When you have characters who are supposed to be around 15 or 16, they'll almost always cast someone in their late teens or early twenties, because if actual 15-year-olds were cast, the audience would think they looked too young. And I'd say Lara Dowell looks young enough to play a character who's twelve or so.)

Anyway, I'm just happy we're finally getting that movie, I'm curious to see how they pull it all together.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [An Artemis Fowl fanfiction, set after The Atlantic Complex.]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28 ... temis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Return to “The Movie”