New Users Introduce Yourselves Here!

Introduce yourself here, and greet new members!
Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Axxonu
Re: New Users Introduce Yourselves Here!

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:57 am

Yeah, that's always been the funny thing about the Artemis Fowl series...it tries to strike that balance between fantasy and crime fiction, and I think it does a good job. It's hard for me to lean one way or another in terms of which way I think the series might have benefited from leaning toward, because I remember when I first read the series, I really liked the faster pace of the crime fiction, and was a little more impatient to get through the story. But then, after I became a really involved fan, there are times in the series I want things to be longer and more detailed, lol. XD (But would I have gotten into the series as much as I did if it was longer and not as fast-paced? I ask myself that question all the time, lol.)

Huh, that's very interesting. (Particularly how the different regions affect the use of words.) Actually, I guess we have something similar, since the United State release for the Artemis Fowl books has some alterations in the wording from the original release. (Reading the original can occasionally be slightly confusing for American readers, since it uses words like 'boot' [meaning the trunk of a car], and such, though I guess now that I think about it I actually heard the books as they were originally when I first read them, since I listened to the Nathaniel Parker audiobooks.)

But it is interesting how the choice of words (particularly for names) can affect how the character comes across. (What does 'canija' mean exactly in Latin America? I looked it up online, and I saw that 'canijo' can mean 'sly, cunning' or else 'troublesome,' or else 'puny, stunted, etc.', but I'm not sure what region/country this was coming from. In an odd way, those could kind of fit Holly, but they do have kind of add an additional connotation that's definitely not there in the English version of the name.) Haha, Potrillo, that's kind of cute, and actually does kind of fit. (Since 'Foal' in English also means a baby horse.)

Artemis Fowl is one of those series that's kind of filled with puns in the names, so I guess that does present kind of an interesting challenge for the translators, since they have to decide whether to just keep the original names, or come up with alternative names that fit how the story is originally meant to be read. (It's kind of a similar deal getting Pokemon stuff from Japan. For the most part, they give them English names that fit the original intent, but there are many English fans who prefer to use the original Japanese names.)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [An Artemis Fowl fanfiction, set after The Atlantic Complex.]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28 ... temis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

davidsnt
Cave Troll

Postby davidsnt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:25 am

It is true. Sometimes you want a certain event in the book to happen quickly, but when you've finished the book you want it to be longer. :( But that's the way it is. With regard to names in Spanish, I prefer to imagine that I read them in their original names. :laughing:
And about the graphic novels of Artemis: have you read any? you like them? I have not read any. I have only seen images online. Personally I like the drawings they created and the characters too.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:59 pm

Yeah, I liked that the books were shorter earlier on, but some of the later ones I really wanted to be longer. (I particularly felt that way about the last two books, which felt short to me. I remember in an interview Colfer talking about the eighth book, and he said something like, 'The book could have easily been twice as long,' and I was thinking, 'You should have done it! I would have read it!' XD! Though I guess not every fan probably felt that way, lol.) Though by contrast, I felt like The Time Paradox (the sixth) was the perfect length.

Oh yes, I got them from our library first, then got them from Amazon later. So far, they've done the first four books. (Artemis Fowl, The Arctic Incident, The Eternity Code, and The Opal Deception. I keep looking to see if they're in progress working on The Lost Colony, but it doesn't look like it, so that might be all they do. :/) I do really enjoy the graphic novels, and it's just so nice to have professionally done artwork for the series, I find them fun just for that reason. (It seems like all the art was done by a two-person team, rather than a full team from what I can tell, which is pretty incredible.) I think the main drawback that fans complain about is that some of the designs don't match descriptions in the book. (Holly's skin is white rather than coffee colored, her uniform is kind of a white-and-purple color rather than green, Opal's hair is red rather than black, Foaly's skin is blue, and a few other things like that.) Also, if you're someone who reads a lot of Japanese manga like me, you might find the style a little jarring since it is a more western-style graphic novel, with quite a bit of narration. (Which manga doesn't use a whole lot of.)

But again, I just like having professionally-done graphic novels for the series, and there are some panels where the art is really spectacular. (Even if the interpretation is different from the book, it's interesting seeing different versions of the characters. And there are some decisions I can understand, like the decision not to give Holly a crew cut, or make the fairies 3 feet tall relative to Artemis. [In the graphic novel, Holly is the same height as Artemis.])

But, there is at least one fan-made comic done of a chapter of the series that is also spectacular, and I would say professional-level quality. (I'd link it to you, but I know you haven't read the later books yet. It's a scene of the first chapter of the seventh book, The Atlantis Complex, so when you get there, you'll have to remind me. It's unbelievably good, I'm still obsessed with it years later after I first saw it.)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [An Artemis Fowl fanfiction, set after The Atlantic Complex.]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28 ... temis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

NolanDean
Cave Troll

Postby NolanDean » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi, I'm Nolan Dean, and I've just started reading the series.

Fell in love with it so much I wanted to meet other fans. Currently on Arctic Incident.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:44 am

Hey Nolan, nice to meet you! C: Unfortunately, as you've probably noticed, things have been slow on here for a while, but I'm always curious to hear new reader's thoughts on the books. Hope to see you around! C:

davidsnt
Cave Troll

Postby davidsnt » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:22 am

Yes. When you like a book you feel short! sure that happens to us with Artemis. Well, I'm going to look for the first two graphic novels, since they are the only books I've read so far. And the size of Artemis in the novel compared to the book seems fine. I imagine more a Holly taller or the same size as Artemis. And the style of drawing of the novels, according to the images that I have seen if it is very different from the manga. I know little about Japanese animation, but they also do a great job.

Hi, Nolan. Welcome to the forum. I´m new in the Artemis Fowl world too! And finish to read The Arctic incident too. Hope see you here frequently!

Arty's #1 Fan
Cave Troll

Postby Arty's #1 Fan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:07 am

Hey, I'm new here, just introducing myself. As my name implies, I'm a huge Artemis Fowl fan. My friends think I have a problem... as in an "unhealthy obsession" with it.
“ And one more thing. About my name – Artemis – you were right, in London. It is generally a female name, after the Greek goddess of archery. But every now and then a male comes along with such a talent for hunting that he earns the right to use the name. I am that male. Artemis the hunter. I hunted you.” Artemis Fowl II~ an amazing quote!

Troublelover16
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name:Faith
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Troublelover16

Postby Troublelover16 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:04 pm

Hey, I'm new here, just introducing myself. As my name implies, I'm a huge Artemis Fowl fan. My friends think I have a problem... as in an "unhealthy obsession" with it.

Welcome to AFC! I'm Trouble, one of your friendly neighborhood moderators, and if you need anything or every have anyquestions, feel free to ask! It's pretty slow around here these days, but we would love to make this site more active. :) We're excited to have you here and hope you stick around!

And honestly... same. Artemis Fowl is amazing. I have certainly calmed down with my obsession in the past few years, but it's still there. :>

Troublelover's Song of the Moment:
~A Million Dreams-The Greatest Showman~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSQk-4f ... &index=268
Spoiler:
They can say, they can say it all sounds crazy
They can say, they can say I've lost my mind
I don't care, I don't care, so call me crazy
We can live in a world that we design

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
Oh, a million dreams for the world we're gonna make
2013 EA Winner of: The Friendly One, Best Taste in Avatars and Signatures,
Biggest AF Fanboy/Girl, Most Valued Non-Staff Contributor, Most Changed

2014/15 EA Winner of: Biggest Non-AF Fanboy/Girl

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:31 am

Hey there! Welcome to the forums! C:

Oh yeah, unhealthy obsession--I'm familiar with that phrase, lol. (Tried to put it on hold with other fandoms for the time being while the fandom's pretty slow, but with the movie announcement and we know for sure coming out, I feel it all coming back with a vengeance. xD)

Anyway, hope to see you around! C:

Merv Simestra
Commander
Real First Name:Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:25 am

Hello to all the new faces! Sorry I haven't been as active on the site as I'd like to be. Adulting sucks, but I think everyone knew that. I hope you guys have fun exploring the forums! Don't be afraid to ask questions if needed. :)
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.
Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.
Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Yona of the Dawn, Most Epic Romantic Manga

Shut up, I know I'm trash.

MisterDiggums
Cave Troll

Postby MisterDiggums » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Hi, I'm Hamdu. I started reading Artemis Fowl ten years ago when i was twelve years old. I'm to be here finally

Merv Simestra
Commander
Real First Name:Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:50 pm

Welcome to the forums, Hamdu! We're a little quiet here, but that'll hopefully be picking up in a few days. Be sure to read the Rules, and let us know if you have any questions. :)
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.
Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.
Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Yona of the Dawn, Most Epic Romantic Manga

Shut up, I know I'm trash.

Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People
Real First Name:Matt
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Matt

Postby Matt » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:42 am

Hi, I'm Hamdu. I started reading Artemis Fowl ten years ago when i was twelve years old. I'm to be here finally

Welcome on in Hamdu! We're building the forums back up again - we look forward to having you. :shiny:

Troublelover16
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name:Faith
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Troublelover16

Postby Troublelover16 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:56 am

Hello there! Welcome! I hope to see you around! It's great to be getting new members! :laughing:

MGroland
Cave Troll
Real First Name:Roland

Postby MGroland » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:16 pm

Hello dear forum,

my name is Roland and I'm a composer from Salzburg, Austria. I have loved the Artemis Fowl books since my childhood. I discovered this forum about a week ago, while I did research on specific questions concerning Artemis Fowl. I'm currently composing and rearranging a musical suite inspired by Artemis Fowl; more precisely: I started composing this about two years ago. Now I am polishing it and I plan to release the suite bit by bit.

Hope to have a lot of interesting discussions here. I will keep you updated concerning my musical suite ;)

All the best,
Roland
Composer for Film & Media
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/MGroland
Web: http://www.mair-gruber.com/

Return to “The Entrance Hall”