Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
Gus
Master of Haven

Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code

Postby Gus » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:34 pm

I just read both of those books last week.

They were great. I loved all the puzzles in them, the background, the (fictitious) history, the science (fiction)... Loved them.

Anybody else read them?

[s]I've got more comments that I'd like to say, but I forgot them... and I'd like to hear/read your comments first.[/s]
Image Image
My Artemis Fowl game: Part One | Part Two | Part Three

Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:30 pm

Stolen from where?

Could you give a bit more detail?

I'm not trying to defend the books, but I'd like your opinions. I believe in the "only give your opinion if you can support it" philosophy...
Image Image

Ihdreniel
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Hannah

Postby Ihdreniel » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:31 pm

I'm reading The DaVinci Code right now, and I like it so far... I have heard of Dan Brown being sued because he stole material from other writers, however...
"eeeep!" says the insane chibling.
And then. . .

It attacks.

Image Image Image
Co-President of the Obnoxious Teenager Club
"Quantity > quality! Remember that."
~ Voldy

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants 'is paycheck.)

Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:54 pm

Ihdreniel wrote:I'm reading The DaVinci Code right now, and I like it so far... I have heard of Dan Brown being sued because he stole material from other writers, however...

I think Dan Brown won...

Anyway, I only really liked the books because of the puzzles, and how he wove the (fictitious) history and science (fiction) in. I really hated the short, 5-page chapters. And the so-called foreshadowing.
Image Image

Mockingbirdflyaway
Pixie

Postby Mockingbirdflyaway » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:05 am

They were fun books to kick back and read just for the sake of entertainment and I like the sheer amount of random facts that I learned (Who knew that pyramid in front of the Louvre had 666 panes of glass?).

I had a bit of a shock today, because I was re-reading my copy of DV Code and I noticed that some of the letters in the jacket summary were slightly bolded. I squinted at it for a bit and wrote out the message. Sure enough, it was that clue that people have been talking about that leads into the next book which I had never been able to find before.
Rolling Eyes

Dan Brown needs to take a course in making his characters dynamic though. His heros, side-kicks and villains are all the same.
~Janna

Writing is like marriage - don't commit yourself until you can't believe your luck.

Diana
Ruler of the People

Postby Diana » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:11 am

Yeah, I enjoyed reading the books when I had my mind on other things... But the characters were all alike, as you said. And the plots for Angels & Demons and The DV Code were basically the same thing stated twice, with different surface coating. Like they were both chocolate cupcakes, and on one there was vanilla frosting with purple sprinkles, and on the other there was chocolate frosting with red sprinkles, but the purple and red sprinkles tasted the same, and the frostings weren't that different except in color, and the cupcakes were exactly the same when you really get down to the chocolatey cupcake goodness, which wasn't nearly as good as an actual cupcake because paper can never live up to chocolate and I'd really rather have a cupcake than a copy of The DV Code. And wow, I'm really tired and should go to bed. Ignore this post, if you so desire.
(My avatar was given its awesome existence by the benevolent Voldy.
If Cuddy doesn't look familiar, don't talk to me till you've clicked this.)

Mockingbirdflyaway
Pixie

Postby Mockingbirdflyaway » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:36 am

YESYESYES! That is such an awesome way to put it Diana! You win! Don't ask me what, but you just win.
~Janna

Writing is like marriage - don't commit yourself until you can't believe your luck.

Hello
Elf

Postby Hello » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:55 pm

I read DV code but not angels and demons. I liked it, but I wouldn't read it again soon because once you know the end, it's kind of boring. I remember I had found one of the riddle without looking for the answer Razz
What is the answer to life, the universe and everything? CHEESE!
Don't click! (You've been warned...)

Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:16 pm

Not my favourite book, but a good read into the puzzles.

It was a good way to burn time. Very Happy [/u]
Image Image

hunter_fantasy
Goblin

Postby hunter_fantasy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:40 am

Ohh yes, ~ And the logos (forgot the name for them) made for the 4 elements were awesome, just how do they make it fit together so subtly!!?Dan Brown sure had some thorough knowledge on the buildings and landmarks of rome to link it all together with the plot!!!

But is anyone bothered with the fact that Robert Langdon seems to change partners easily between books.....heh-__-
*+Fantasize+*

Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:53 pm

hunter_fantasy wrote:But is anyone bothered with the fact that Robert Langdon seems to change partners easily between books.....heh-__-

No, I'm bothered by the fact that DC was a clone of AD... he meets a girl whose relative is killed... they go off on an adventure... there's an old cripple who uses his disability to bypass metal detectors... there's an ancient anti-religious organization...
Image Image

Diana
Ruler of the People

Postby Diana » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:54 am

Yeah... It seemed like Dan Brown didn't have the success he wanted with A&D, so he recoated the plot with different names and more glitter, and tried to resell it. What bugs me is that it worked so well. >_>
(My avatar was given its awesome existence by the benevolent Voldy.
If Cuddy doesn't look familiar, don't talk to me till you've clicked this.)

Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:02 am

Diana wrote:Yeah... It seemed like Dan Brown didn't have the success he wanted with A&D, so he recoated the plot with different names and more glitter, and tried to resell it. What bugs me is that it worked so well. >_>

And AD was the better book, in my opinion.

Or maybe it was because DC got old after reading AD...
Image Image

Ihdreniel
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Hannah

Postby Ihdreniel » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:33 pm

Gus wrote:I really hated the short, 5-page chapters.

And the short, one-page chapters.

I don't know, I really liked the puzzles of The DaVinci Code, especially trying to figure them out before the characters did (which, of course, I usually couldn't do... heh). I liked the story line alright as well, but the writing just seemed to be lacking... something. I don't know. I'm absolutely horrible at trying to pinpoint exactly WHY I didn't think something was all that well-written. I do know that when I was less than halfway through the book I had already started noting each time something along the lines of "Langdon often wondered how many people realized that <insert modern activity, game, book, etc. here> was a direct reference to pagan religion/the grail story/devine feminism" popped up, with basically the exact same wording each time.
"eeeep!" says the insane chibling.
And then. . .

It attacks.

Image Image Image
Co-President of the Obnoxious Teenager Club
"Quantity > quality! Remember that."
~ Voldy

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants 'is paycheck.)

Juliet
Sprite
Real First Name: Anna

Postby Juliet » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:33 pm

*stares at comments*

*scratches head*

I dunno, I rather liked the short chapters and the way he just...wove everything in. Books with similar plots don't bother me all too much, just as long as one's not a carbon copy of the other, I enjoyed both books a whole ton (at least how much I remember of it).

Return to “Literature”