Attention

The new Artemis Fowl Confidential website is live! Check it out, and leave us some comments and feedback!

1000 facts you probably didn't know...

A place to chill out and chat. No meaningless messages though!

1000 facts you probably didn't know...

Postby Matt » Sun May 25, 2008 6:56 pm

Hey guys...

I figured this would be fun, we haven't really got anything like this around here. Just post one thing that you think that not many people know... I'll start, to give you an idea. We'll close the thread when we hit 1000 (if ever!).

Not sure how real this one is...

1) By manipulating a few genes of a virus, researchers at MIT have been able to get this virus to grow and assemble itself in such a way that it functions as a battery.
Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: 1000 facts you probably didn't know...

Postby Gus » Sun May 25, 2008 7:11 pm

2) The Canadian loonie has eleven sides.
Image Image
My Artemis Fowl game: Part One | Part Two | Part Three
Gus
Master of Haven

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby crystal_clear » Mon May 26, 2008 11:36 pm

3) The normal Canadian Toonie has one polar bear, three penguins and a T-rex on it when you look at it a certain way ;)

Edit: Tyty has also informed me that there sort of looks like there could be a fish in the polar bear...

Can I do a four? I will anyway and if I can't then someone continue on with four.

4) You're never more than three feet away from a spider (I suppose depending on how cold it is at the time). But in the summer time, beware.
Facebook: Stealing every aspect of your daily life and using it in our plan to dominate the world through mind control and hamster wheels since 2006.
crystal_clear
but you can call me Awesome

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Matt » Tue May 27, 2008 1:27 am

5) Relating back to the one you just said... in London, you're never more than 3 feet away from a rat.

XD
Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People

Postby diesector21 » Tue May 27, 2008 1:29 am

6) A Benelli M4 does not require the replacement of any major parts after 25,000 shots.

7) In the MuchMusic show Video on Trial, after the mock jurors' verdict was to put Paris Hilton's face on a Wikipedia page titled 'Loser', it was actually done by some fans.

Edit: I might as well put in some more...

8. Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the internet, was knighted for his work.

9) A Mossberg 500 shotgun costs $250 USD.

10) A Barrett M82 .50 sniper is not used for general sniping, due to its immense size. Therefore, it is only used for ordinance destruction (shooting mines) and enemies with significant cover.

11) The Lamborghini Reventon is somewhat based on a F-22 Raptor, and the people at Lamborghini motors actually refer to the interior of the Reventon as the 'cockpit'.

If you wanna find me more often, go here. But don't bump the thread.
diesector21
Centaur

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby softballislife » Tue May 27, 2008 2:33 am

(12) you can raed lkie tihs bacsue yuor bairn sees wrods tihs way. or smhtohtnig. :lick:
There is no sincerer love then the love of food
"woman,please"-Bobby
tony tony put yo oscar mayer in me (says this while holding a hotdog bun like a puppet)"
GREATEST rappa alive LIL WAYNE =]
"baby like shrimp fried rice!" afroman/lukey(Luke smith)
"Hey, hey, hey, this THE remix. Hey pretty lady." Lukey bear
softballislife
Elf

Postby Tyrison » Tue May 27, 2008 2:36 am

Ooo, this'll be fun.

13)Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.

14)The lion that roars in the MGM logo is named Volney.

15)Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.

16)The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.
The quandary of Autumn's child
I'm not sure if falling leaves
are merely butterflies that
have died or photographs
we don't remember taking.

GUS'S DISCIPLES OF SEMI-SEXY, TAKING OVER THE WORLD!
Official Secret AFC Agent 008 ~ Since whenever

But this morning, there's a calm I can't explain; The rock candy's melted, only diamonds now remain...
Tyrison
Ty(rosine)

Location: Preferably in a good book, AFC, writing fanfic, or working on my novel. ^_^

Postby Hageshii_Ame » Tue May 27, 2008 2:45 am

17) The lifespan of a taste bud is 10 days

18) Strawberries contain more Vitamin C then oranges

19) A turkey can run at 20mph

*rape*
Hageshii_Ame
Commander

Postby Gus » Tue May 27, 2008 3:14 am

20) Mars is cursed. Of all the probes sent to Mars, only 49% have succeeded.
Image Image
My Artemis Fowl game: Part One | Part Two | Part Three
Gus
Master of Haven

Postby crystal_clear » Tue May 27, 2008 2:29 pm

21) You burn more calories eating a stick of celery than there is in the celery itself...
Not that everyone on a diet should go eating purely celery, that'd get boring after a while and there's unfortunately no nutrition in the nearly calorie free green stick.
Facebook: Stealing every aspect of your daily life and using it in our plan to dominate the world through mind control and hamster wheels since 2006.
crystal_clear

Postby Tyrison » Tue May 27, 2008 4:13 pm

22)Almonds are a member of the peach family.
The quandary of Autumn's child
I'm not sure if falling leaves
are merely butterflies that
have died or photographs
we don't remember taking.

GUS'S DISCIPLES OF SEMI-SEXY, TAKING OVER THE WORLD!
Official Secret AFC Agent 008 ~ Since whenever

But this morning, there's a calm I can't explain; The rock candy's melted, only diamonds now remain...
Tyrison
Ty(rosine)

Location: Preferably in a good book, AFC, writing fanfic, or working on my novel. ^_^

Postby marzandstars » Tue May 27, 2008 7:44 pm

23) There are two words in the English language that have all five vowels in order:"abstemious" and "facetious."

and that rat one...Lovely

We must be swift as a coursing river
With all the force of a great typhoon
With all the strength of a raging fire
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon

*rapes* with muchos love from a mysterious sig-raping shadow *disappears*
THIS IS NOT VOLDY. It is a mysterious sig!rapist, leaving some love. *hugs*
marzandstars
Council Member

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby BkkprGirl » Tue May 27, 2008 9:16 pm

24) The average person swallows 8 spiders while they're asleep during their lifetime. YUCK!

25) Apocolocynoposis: the fear of turning into a pumpkin.

26) (people who read Twilight will probably like this) Eurythropoetic protoporphyria: an actual medical disorder that caused the belief in vampires in Transylvania. It's caused by inbreeding (family members making babies--yuck), something that the Transylvanian monarchy used to do all the time. You become pale and sensitive to sunlight, and your teeth seem longer than normal because your gums start to recede. Because people became so pale, doctors thought it was caused by a lack of blood, and a prescribed treatment was to drink the blood of animals. Pretty cool, huh? My English teacher told me that.
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten
BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby crystal_clear » Wed May 28, 2008 12:00 am

Whoa... that's a cool one.

I'm not sure about the reliability of this one, it's just something I heard:

27) If you're left handed, chances are you had a twin once upon a time (i.e. before you were born)

28) Your fingernails are made out of the same stuff that turtle shells are made of ^_^
crystal_clear

Postby diesector21 » Wed May 28, 2008 4:37 am

29) Aibohphobia is a 'joke phobia'. It actually means 'fear of palindromes', in which aibohphobia is a palindrome itself...

30) Another joke phobia is phobophobia, the fear of phobias. o.O

31) A M21 sniper, M40A3 sniper, G3, HK-21, HK-91, SIG Scout and SOCOM-16 all use the same ammo: .308 Win

32) Kirby is considered to be the ultimate character in the Super Smash Bros. series when it comes to edge-guarding, solely due to his ability to cancel his Down + B button move: Stone. However, all of his other advantages tend to be very technical.

33) The main reason the Japanese film Battle Royale was not shown in North America was not because it contained a lot of violence (41 people fighting for survival and against each other on a government-monitored island), but because that the people fighting each other were Grade 9's. The US gov't couldn't censor it due to the 1st Amendment (or something), so most filmmakers just decided to not copy that film directly, but to make a more 'appropriate' version of it. That version of Battle Royale in North America is The Condemned, in which adults are fighting each other for survival, not teens.

If you wanna find me more often, go here. But don't bump the thread.
diesector21
Centaur

Next

Return to The Square