[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Old writer, new fan - Page 3 - Artemis Fowl Confidential Fan Forum

Old writer, new fan

Introduce yourself here, and greet new members!
Winter
Pixie

Re: Old writer, new fan

Postby Winter » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:06 pm

I have myalgic encephalomyelitis, which, in short, is Post Viral Fatigue, or something, which I've had since November 2007. Since hospital I've rarely left the house (in fact, fault of my own, I'm now incredibly sensitive to sunlight to the point where it's almost dangerous for me to spend too much time outside - I'm probably paler than Artemis, no joke) so I haven't been able to go to school.

I do get out every now and again. I spend an hour at a 'health school' for people too ill to attend school (cancer and serious cases of ME mostly) every fortnight (or sometimes sooner,) and sometimes when I'm up to it my mum takes me to the library.

But yeah, that's why I do correspondence =]

I don't get on MSN often (I find it easier to not talk to all of my school friends - it's not until they start talking about their parties, boyfriends and school events that I feel lonely. I haven't seen anyone my own age in over a year, so It's just easier not to talk to them) but I'll add you anyway. I might log in a couple of times a month, but maybe I'll start logging in more often ^_^

I've never heard of Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Should I look for them when I go to the library next?

bohemianneko
Dwarf
Real First Name: Bethany

Postby bohemianneko » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:59 am

Wow. I read a bit about myalgic encephalomyelitis, so I would have some clue what you were talking about and I just... wanted to tell you how extraordinary you are for being so well-adjusted. My mom has a disability (nothing quite so severe, though it has its own severity--it's called spina bifida) so I do empathize to a degree. I also empathize with the feeling of wanting to be a bit isolated from peers because of the many things they consider "normal" parts of life, that pretty much anyone living mostly at home has...

Anyway, I don't want to dwell on it, but I just wanted to offer my empathy and just... tell you how impressive you are for being so nice when I'm sure you're not comfortable a lot...

Anyway, more positive note: Percy Jackson and the Olympians is a nice little series. Someone I knew a few years ago told me that if I liked AF that I would like it. I was skeptical, but as it turns out he was right. It's about an American boy (I think he's 11 or 12 in the first book--can't recall at the moment) who lives with his single mother in New York. He's had a bunch of really strange circumstances following him around his whole life, ADD, and dyslexia and astonishingly bad luck in every school he's ever attending, having been kicked out of every single one--mostly for reasons beyond his control/fault.

Finally he finds out why all of this has been happening to him. He finds that the reason his mother is single is because he is actually the half-blood (hero) son of a Greek god...

The ADD is a built-in hyper-awareness of one's surroundings and a strange way of observation that helps keep half-bloods alive when fighting for their lives. It's not that they notice too little, it's that they notice too much.

The dyslexia is because their brains are hardwired to read Ancient Greek because it's a derivation of the gods's writing or something like that.

Anyway, it kind of just follows the things that happen to him after the strange events that uncover his lineage to him...

So if that sounds remotely interesting, check it out. There's some thread on it that I started ages ago on one of the off-topic threads.

I just really liked this line because of my shipping preference since it shows how much Artemis values Holly...

Winter
Pixie

Postby Winter » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:05 am

Percy Jackson and the Olympians sounds like a lot of fun! I'll look into it and try and find it at the library next time I go. I'll let you know once I've finished it =]

I've always been a bit weird with emotions. I don't ever really get upset or angry or anything out of the norm. I'm not saying I'm apathetic - I remember being sad a few times in the last couple of years, and I was jealous of my little sister a lot back in Primary school. But things don't get to me like they do most people, anymore at least. I suppose I've trained myself to believe that if we're sad it's because we let ourselves to be sad. So because I never let myself be annoyed or angry or upset about my health, I'm not.

It's not like I'm holding the emotions in, I don't think, It's less complicated than that. Once I decide how I want to (or don't want to) feel about something, that's how I feel about it. (lol, and now you probably think I'm mad.)

I've improved more in my art and writing this year than I would have in three years had I not fallen sick, so there are upsides =] Plus, it's not likely to last any longer than five years, at the very, very most. The doctor thinks I'll be well enough to go to uni in two years time, which is exciting. I might even be able to do school part time next year.

Thanks though. A lot of people just say 'so, you're just tired all the time? So what? Come to my party anyway... you can sleep tomorrow' without understanding that fatigue is not even half of it ^_^ I think it's only the ones who visited me in hospital and for a few months after who actually believe that I haven't just run away, given up on school or just don't want to spend time with them anymore.

I won't complain if you TL;DR that =3

I looked up Spina bifida on wikipedia, and it sounds horrible! and pretty complicated? I'll admit to skimming over most of it (some of the long words and scientific terms made my head spin) but it sounds quite similar to ME, and like ME there's no cure. But the longest I've ever heard of someone having ME is 30 years, whereas Spina Bifida sounds as though you have it for life? Unless you have sugary... I'm lucky in that my mum is studying to become a herbal doctor, so I have her tinctures and pills to help. Has your mum looked into alternative medicine? I hope she copes okay. It must make life difficult ]=

bohemianneko
Dwarf

Postby bohemianneko » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:18 am

Like I said, I wish I were as emotionally well-adjusted.

And my mom's got a relatively manageable case of it since she CAN walk (with a cane) and hers is closed as opposed to open. She's a fighter, though, and I admire her for it...

I just really liked this line because of my shipping preference since it shows how much Artemis values Holly...

Griffar
Commander
Real First Name: Alex
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Griffar

Postby Griffar » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:41 am

You guys must be so emotionaly set. I mean you don't say it bohemian but you must have to get through a lot with your mum struggling to walk.
And Xephia. You must get really bored staying home all day. I can hardly stay home for three hours. I hate being sick. Unless I'm talking to friends overseas. There is this one who stays up really late. I have to force her to got to bed. :thumbsup:

Keep being positive. :)

bohemianneko
Dwarf

Postby bohemianneko » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:40 pm

Oi, Griffar, don't talk about me like I'm not here! My sleeping habits were formed long before you. ...though the may perpetuate because of you... Anyway, semantics...

And are you saying that when I'm around that you enjoy being sick?? :tongue3:

Yay for superfluous use of emoticons...

Return to “The Entrance Hall”