[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/paybas/breadcrumbmenu/event/listener.php on line 190: Undefined offset: 84
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Announcement: July's Book! - Artemis Fowl Confidential Fan Forum

Announcement: July's Book!

Come here to participate in the AFC book club! Talk about books other than Artemis Fowl with other book-loving members.
Diana
Ruler of the People

Announcement: July's Book!

Postby Diana » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:43 am

Whoa, for once, this month's book is *actually announced on the first of the month.* Well, not for everyone in England, I guess, but for me it is! Very Happy

We'll be reading The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini. I've read this myself and I know for a fact that it is a BRILLIANT book, and as it's been a #1 bestseller it should be easy for most people to locate.

Summary from amazon.com:

In his debut novel, The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini accomplishes what very few contemporary novelists are able to do. He manages to provide an educational and eye-opening account of a country's political turmoil--in this case, Afghanistan--while also developing characters whose heartbreaking struggles and emotional triumphs resonate with readers long after the last page has been turned over. And he does this on his first try.
The Kite Runner follows the story of Amir, the privileged son of a wealthy businessman in Kabul, and Hassan, the son of Amir's father's servant. As children in the relatively stable Afghanistan of the early 1970s, the boys are inseparable. They spend idyllic days running kites and telling stories of mystical places and powerful warriors until an unspeakable event changes the nature of their relationship forever, and eventually cements their bond in ways neither boy could have ever predicted. Even after Amir and his father flee to America, Amir remains haunted by his cowardly actions and disloyalty. In part, it is these demons and the sometimes impossible quest for forgiveness that bring him back to his war-torn native land after it comes under Taliban rule. ("...I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.")

Some of the plot's turns and twists may be somewhat implausible, but Hosseini has created characters that seem so real that one almost forgets that The Kite Runner is a novel and not a memoir. At a time when Afghanistan has been thrust into the forefront of America's collective consciousness ("people sipping lattes at Starbucks were talking about the battle for Kunduz"), Hosseini offers an honest, sometimes tragic, sometimes funny, but always heartfelt view of a fascinating land. Perhaps the only true flaw in this extraordinary novel is that it ends all too soon.

(My avatar was given its awesome existence by the benevolent Voldy.
If Cuddy doesn't look familiar, )

Centaurboi2
Programmer in Purple
Programmer in Purple
Real First Name: Nick
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Centaurboi

Re: Announcement: July's Book!

Postby Centaurboi2 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:05 am

Diana
Ruler of the People

Postby Diana » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:15 am

Ummm yeah, that's still true. Maybe I didn't make it clear; we're still announcing one book every month, but discussion for each book will go on for two months. I thought that might work better since it seems to take everyone about a month to just read the book in the first place. So while everyone's starting to read The Kite Runner, we'll be on the second month of discussing Life of Pi.

Does that make sense?

Centaurboi2
Programmer in Purple
Programmer in Purple
Real First Name: Nick
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Centaurboi

Postby Centaurboi2 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:51 am

Yes I see now. Sorry about that. *trys to finish Life of Pi so he can start the kite runner which is sitting on the shelf outside his room*

lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous
Real First Name: Lauren

Postby lethe_naiad » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:56 am

Yay! I love the Kite Runner! And I've already read it several times so I don't even need to read it again....muahahaha.

Rochenut
Shedding Harp Seal

Postby Rochenut » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:15 am

I loved this book. The story was epic, and certain paragraphs were like poetry. (Can't remember which ones though, I went WOW! *__* at some parts) Love the depiction of friendship here. *sniff*

arty_gal
Tomato President

Postby arty_gal » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:33 am

I've already read it! It is SO amazing. Very Happy

I'm trying to wait until the price of A Thousand Splendid Suns goes down. I love both titles! XD

*showers with confetti and love* I am the ninja of lavvv. *rapes*

Rochenut
Shedding Harp Seal

Postby Rochenut » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:59 am

lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous

Postby lethe_naiad » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:03 pm

A Thousand Splendid Suns isn't that good. The Kite Runner is so much better, but that might be because I read The Kite Runner first.

Diana
Ruler of the People

Postby Diana » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:28 pm

Ihdreniel
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Hannah

Postby Ihdreniel » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:23 pm

w00t! Kite Runner! I haven't read it, but I've heard marvelous things about it. And I've been meaning to read it for quite some time now. Very Happy
I'll pick it up tomorrow.
"eeeep!" says the insane chibling.
And then. . .

It attacks.

Co-President of the Obnoxious Teenager Club
"Quantity > quality! Remember that."
~ Voldy

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants 'is paycheck.)

lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous

Postby lethe_naiad » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:40 pm

Since it is now August, are we going to have a discussion thread for The Kite Runner?

Diana
Ruler of the People

Postby Diana » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:25 pm

Aasdlfkjasdlkjf sorry about that. I fail at remembering to do things. x_X

. Very Happy Eat, drink, discuss and be merry!

Return to “The AFC Book Club”