[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/paybas/breadcrumbmenu/event/listener.php on line 190: Undefined offset: 84
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4541: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3291)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4541: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3291)
BETA Testing the new site! **READ** -- [[Page update 25/07]] - Artemis Fowl Confidential Fan Forum

BETA Testing the new site! **READ** -- [[Page update 25/07]]

All other projects from the past.
Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Matt
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Matt

BETA Testing the new site! **READ** -- [[Page update 25/07]]

Postby Matt » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:30 pm

Ok, if you don't know where the new site is, it's at http://beta.artemis-fowl.com, please check through and tell me what you think.

The following pages are to be tested to far, I will give dates as to when they were added:

21/07/2006

50 Ways to Kill
About
Advertising
Archived News
ASCII Gnommish
Author Biography
Home

22/07/2006

The Lost Colony Book Page
The Opal Deception Book Page

25/07/2006

Quizzes Page

----------------------

What I'd like you to do is the following, I want you to post a new message, and use the following format to tell me what goes on, I'll use the About page as an example, this is ONLY AN EXAMPLE, the following statements do not relate to the page:

About Page
Page Checked In: FireFox / Internet Explorer
Page Displays Correctly: No Problems in FireFox / Problems in Internet Explorer (Left Nav Bar Missing)
Spelling Errors: ERROR - About spelled as Abuot
Link Errors: No Problems
Other: None

Even if the page has been checked already by someone else, please do a check and a report, please also check this page daily and report the new pages on the Beta. Thanks a lot!

Matt
Last edited by Matt on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:38 pm

Found one.

Any Page
Link Errors: ERROR - Advertising link doesn't work. The leftnav frame opens up to a black page.
HTML Validation: ERROR - Not sure, but my browser's built-in validator says there's four warnings.

Right now, I don't have too much time, but I'll do my best. I've got a whole bunch of tools for web developing.

If you're using FF, try the Web Developer toolbar. It's really helpful.
Image Image
My Artemis Fowl game: Part One | Part Two | Part Three

Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People

Postby Matt » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:21 pm

To Gus, I can't work out what's wrong with the Advertising page, it works fine for me. And I'll look into the Validation thing when all of the pages have been finished, unless you can point out specific code errors.

The link to 50 ways to kill works fine, but from there, the actual killings don't.

Pages not completed yet.

Colfer's biog is great, right up til the end! TLC is coming out in 2006, not 2007!

Error fixed, thanks.

Home... Seems Okay, but... Clicking the banner takes you to www.artemis-fowl.com, not beta.artemis-fowl.com... Just a tiny error there.

it's meant to do that, when I upload it to the proper address, it'll point to the homepage, which is what I want.

Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:31 pm

Hmm... Maybe I messed up some FF settings... I'll try later on Linux. From there, I've got various other browsers that I'll try.

I'm not going to take a page and run every single test on it. It'll be slower for me. Instead, I'll do it test-by-test.

I'll do a browser-compatability test later tonight.
Image Image

sudenkarento
Sprite
Real First Name: Kathryn

Postby sudenkarento » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:59 pm

About Page
Page Checked In: Internet Explorer
Page Displays Correctly: True
Spelling Errors: ERROR - "motivation" spelled as "motirvation", "competitor" spelled as "compeditor", "thank you" spelled as "thankyou."
Link Errors: None

Home page
Spelling Errors: ERROR - "Thank you" spelled as "thankyou"

50 Ways to Kill
Spelling Errors: None

Page Displays Correctly: ERROR: "< " randomly appears at the very top of the page, before the banner

Advertising

Archived News
Spelling Errors: ERROR "As well" spelled as "aswell" four times, "Artemis Fowl has just discovered two new species" has an extra quotation mark, "thank you" is spelled as "thankyou",

ASCII

Author Biography
Spelling Errors: ERROR The Lost Colony is credited as "The Last Colony"

Home
Spelling Errors: ERROR "Thank you" spelled as "thankyou"
Swirling shades of blue
Slow dancing in your eyes
Sun kisses the earth
And I hush my urge to cry
There for You, Flyleaf

Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:54 am

One more thing. The Advertising page. The code where you copy&paste, I'd reccommend making the box a bit bigger. Also, to prevent the code there from being parsed as real code, use &gt; and &lt; instead of > and <

Browser compatability report - all pages
Firefox 1.5.0.4 on Windows XP - [ OK ]
IE 6 on Windows XP - [ OK ]
Firefox 1.0.8 on Linux - [ OK ]
Epiphany 1.8.0 on Linux - [ OK ]
Mozila 1.7.13 on Linux - [ OK ]
Konqueror 3.4.2 on Linux - [ERRORS]
lynx on Linux - [PASSED]
Links on Linux - [PASSED]

Details about browser failures
Konqueror - Archived News page, line 949, a stray <h5> tag that's floating around made parts of the text large when displayed in Konqueror. Other browsers were more tolerant
lynx - This is a text-only browser, so the iFrames made it a bit difficult to navigate around. Especially when the frames were laid out vertically (instead of horizontally, the way it is). Also, the text was sometimes clumped together, making it hard to read.
Links - Another text-only browser. Layout was viewed better with Links. But still, the iFrames and images made it slightly confusing to navigate around.

Well, that's all the browsers I've got... Now I'll be moving off to more obscure things, like speed tests.

Miscellaneous tests

Disabled JavaScript - [PASSED]
Disable JavaScript kills a few things. Clicking the banner doesn't take you back to the home page. The countdown disappears. And you can't read any comments made on the news.

Disabled style sheets - [ERRORS]
All the text in the left and right frames become huge. Worse, all the text in the centre column become invisible. Black text on a black background.

Disabled images - [ OK ]
Looks ugly, yeah, but you can still browse the site perfectly fine. I didn't find any part that relied on images.

Screen resolution - [ OK ]
Designed for 800x600, a fixed-width page. Will render perfectly fine in all screens with a resolution larger than 800x600, without distortions happening. [s]Of course, it won't look good in 640x480, but who uses that resolution now?[/s]

Validations

CSS - [ERRORS]
Many errors and a couple of warnings when validated. See here.

HTML - [PASSED]
Nothing seriously wrong, just a few warnings. But they're scattered around... The main problem, it seems, is the missing DOCTYPE.
And a few images are missing ALT values...

Speed test - [ERRORS]
Because you're using iFrames, it should lessen the load a bit, because the frames are already downloaded. And a lot of stuff will already be stored in the cache. But these little things won't help too much if you've got a slow modem...

Home (About, Colfer's bio, ASCII-Gnommish, 50 ways to kill, are similar in size)
It'll take over a minute to download these pages (total size of 700KB) over a 56K modem. The page is a bit image heavy (over 17 images, with a total of over 280KB). There's also 23 objects (includes images, script calls, linked stylesheets, frames), which is a bit too much.

Advertise
Larger and heavier than the above pages. 80 seconds over a 56K modem, total size of 850KB, half of which are images.

Archived News
Even heavier. Over 100 seconds with a 56K modem, total size nearing 900KB, with 25 images (500KB)

Too large. The optimization site refused to check it... It's over 1MB in size. I'm estimating that it'll take a minute and a half to download it over a 56K modem.
Image Image

J
Dwarf

Postby J » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:23 am

All Pages
Page Checked In: IE 7.0.5450.4, FireFox 1.5.0.4, Opera 8.54 (all XP)
Other: The buttons on the Extras column don't seem to be working as expected in IE and Opera. In Firefox they have a white border which changes to black when you hover over them. In IE they're always blue and never change. In Opera there's no border visible at all (although when you hover over a button at the bottom of a group it displays a white underline).

About Page
Spelling Errors:
privilage -> privilege
amataur -> amateur
hard earned -> hard-earned
massivly -> massively
occured -> occurred (a couple of times)
reagular -> regular
certianly -> certainly
case trouble -> cause trouble
puller -> pulled
high alert for sometime -> high alert for some time
hightened -> heightened
himelf -> himself
rediculous -> ridiculous
immpossible -> impossible
researches -> research (I don't think it can be plural in this context)
your your -> your (repeated word)
convienience -> convenience
a Artemis Fowl -> an Artemis Fowl
horizion -> horizon
have showed -> have shown (not positive about this but I think you need to use the past participle)
commnity -> community

J
Dwarf

Postby J » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:56 am

Sorry about the double posting, but it's easier for me to do one page at a time. I hope that's ok.

Advertising Page
Page Displays Correctly: Yes, but see below.
Other: Not really a big deal, but I'm assuming the textareas where you have the advertising code should probably be readonly. Otherwise people might accidently type stuff while they're trying to cut and paste the code and screw things up.

Also not important, but in Firefox all you see is the "<a". There's a horizontal scroll bar, but scrolling it doesn't help. You've got to actually go into the textarea itself and use the keyboard to see the rest of the code. Opera and IE both have vertical scrollbars rather than a horizontal scrollbar. They behave differently, but at least they both let you see the code using the scrollbar.

And I agree with Gus about maybe making the textarea a bit bigger.

J
Dwarf

Postby J » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:55 am

Archived News
Page Displays Correctly: The problem I mentioned about the buttons in the extras column is showing up here on all the clickable images too. Also, the horizontal rules between news items are dark grey in FF, light grey in Opera and a light blue (probably based on my colour scheme) in IE.
Spelling Errors: Yeah, but since this is old news it seems pointless fixing them now. If you want I can come up with a list though.
Link Errors: Not sure if you care about external links, but I just listed everything I found.
Submit News links
FowlCast Page
The Competition Page (two places I think)
Orion awards has moved (several places)
Colfer interview
Plot holes
Trailers (several places)
A couple of links in the Tour Dates section don't exist anymore (understandably)
Signing in Austin, Texas
FowlsFave RPG
FotW (two places)
Character Biographies
Signatures Section
Screensavers page
AF Perl Game
Wallpapers Section
Species Information
Weapons Information
Upcoming page (two places)
Other: Not a big deal, but seems a bit odd that it's called News Archive in the nav bar, but Archived News in the title.

J
Dwarf

Postby J » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:19 am

Author Biography
Page Displays Correctly: Yes
Spelling Errors:
Shakepeare -> Shakespeare
Also, shouldn't the title be Eoin Colfer's Biography (with an apostrophe) like the heading in the nav bar?
Other:
I think there's a grammatical error in the section on Eoin's interests. You can either start a new sentence beginning with "His father":
Eoin's interests were always encouraged. His father was a history book writer and his mother was a stagewriter, so anything to do with the arts or writing was encouraged.

Or you need to remove the "so" before "anything", like this:
Eoin's interests were always encouraged, and because his father was a history book writer and his mother was a stagewriter, anything to do with the arts or writing was encouraged.

nindra
Council Member

Postby nindra » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:37 am

Gus wrote:Konqueror 3.4.2 on Linux - [ERRORS]

Details about browser failures

Konqueror - Archived News page, line 949, a stray <h5> tag that's floating around made parts of the text large when displayed in Konqueror. Other browsers were more tolerant

My Konqueror 3.5.2 (Ubuntu 6.06 LTS) doesn't seem to have any problems with the news archive (I didn't check links or anything yet, but text is normal...)

10:15AM EDIT: In Konqueror, affiliates-buttons doesn't have any effects like in Firefox, but vote-button has a(n ugly?) effect, in Firefox that button doesn't have any effects... But FF has same kind of effect on MasWa-button
æ

Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People

Postby Matt » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:17 am

I'd like to thank you all so far for helping in this, I'll set to work on fixing these errors now!

Gus, you know the iFrames bit... do you think it'd be better and faster if instead I used the 'PHP Include" option and save it as another file and have PHP search for it and add it?

nindra
Council Member

Postby nindra » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:34 am

The Lost Colony Book Page
Page Checked In: FireFox / Konqueror
Page Displays Correctly: No Problems
Spelling Errors: ERROR - A space missing: years.Now
æ

colfergeek
Pixie

AOL

Postby colfergeek » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:34 am

I ran the new site through AOL. Everything is running smoothly. The working links work, ect.

I still don't like the hilighted menus. If any of you disagree, let me know.

You may want to put the US cover of TLC on the TLC page.

I have not seen any typos exept those metioned here.

Cheers,
CG
EOIN COLFER REVIEWED MY FAN FIC!!!
Check it out here:
http://forum.artemis-fowl.com/viewtopic.php?t=505

Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:34 pm

Matt wrote:Gus, you know the iFrames bit... do you think it'd be better and faster if instead I used the 'PHP Include" option and save it as another file and have PHP search for it and add it?

Hmm... I'm not sure. I don't have much experience in either of them...

I do know that PHP includes will lower the object size, so fewer requests have to be sent to the server. It'll be slightly faster.

One good thing about iFrames is that you only load the content once, and it stays there while the content for another frame is set up. PHP includes mean that you have to load everything again. But the way you've got it set up, I don't think it should matter too much.

Also, PHP includes might make it easier to view with a text-only browser, and will be supported with more browsers.

In summary, I don't think that PHP includes would make a huge difference speed-wise, but they will make a huge difference for browsers that don't support frames.

[s]Also, there's the hassle with accidentally opening a page in the frame, instead of the whole page.[/s]

I'll be running tests on the new pages later today.

EDIT:

Hmm, disabled stylesheets have been fixed. Black text on white. There's only one little problem. The left nav frame needs scrolling because the text is too big, but that's a minor thing.

Speed test - [ERRORS]

TOD page
Too large. Too many images and objects. Will take 74 seconds to load with a 56K modem. 770KB in size.

TLC page
Even larger. 82 seconds to load 820KB.

Browser compatability test - TOD and TLC pages
Firefox 1.5.0.4 on Windows - [ OK ]
IE 6 on Windows - [ OK ]

Will run more browser tests later, when I boot into Linux.
Image Image

Return to “Other Projects”