The Sims 3

Are you a whizz kid? A Playstation 3 Fanatic? Talk about all things technological and game-wise here!
Hot_N_Spicy
Pixie
Real First Name: Chelsea
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Hot_N_Spicy
Location: On your beach, smashin' your castles and makin' sushi with your seaweed.

The Sims 3

Postby Hot_N_Spicy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:42 am

I just thought id show you guys this its a blog entry from teh sims 3 website

Collecting in The Sims 3
February 27, 2009 20:33 PM

Hello Sims Fans!

My name is Eric Holmberg-Weidler and I am one of the designers on The Sims 3. With the new game we’ve added a plethora of items to grow, catch, and create that translate into skills for your Sims. Two examples of this are in the gardening skill and fishing skill. There are over twenty varieties of fish to catch, scattered across various beaches and lakes around town. Some of the rarest fish can only be found in special locations around the neighborhood, or only at specific times. An example is the experimental robot fish, which can only be caught behind the science facility. Once caught, fish can be used for many purposes. Two of my favorites are purely for collecting: you can mount any fish you catch on the wall, or if you prefer to keep your fish alive, you can put them in fish bowls and display them around your house.

The gardening skill also has many different fruits and vegetables to discover and grow. This includes old favorites like the money tree, and many new types of plants including a special sort that will allow you to grow almost anything from eggs (not your normal type of eggplant!) to steak, as well as much more. Some of these rarer plants can only be obtained after completing special opportunities, exploring out of the way parts of town, or even by fishing them up.

I have to say my favorite types of collection in The Sims 3 aren’t tied to skills at all. These include the ability to collect all sorts of insects, butterflies, and beetles, as well as space rocks, minerals, and even gems. We’ve tucked these all around the neighborhood for you to find and collect as you play. Once you’ve found something cool, you usually have several options with what you want to do with it. It can be quite lucrative to find gems and sell them, or if you like the way they look, you can put them on display. Raw gems can be sent out to get cut into one of many different shapes of polished gemstone. Space rocks can be displayed in their raw form, although they won’t all conveniently fit in your house, as some are bigger than your Sim! Insects can be named and kept around the house as pets in terrariums, and minerals can even be smelted into bars. Want a treasure room stacked with gold bars? Go ahead!

When these collectables are put on display in your house, they can make a big difference in how happy your Sims are when nearby.

Recently, while playing the game, I created myself as a Sim and set out to explore the neighborhood and do a little collecting.

My Sim self had been looking forward to going on a fishing trip all week. He’d recently moved to Sunset Valley, and had heard there was a lake in the woods near his house where he could do some killer fishing. He woke up early Saturday morning, took a quick shower, and was off at 5am, hoping to get to the lake by six. The fish are always the most enthusiastic in the morning.

My Sim ran across the street and was quickly in the woods, walking down a somber forest path. Lost in his own thoughts and enjoying the great outdoors, it wasn’t long before a sparkle in the periphery of his vision caught his eye. A few quick steps brought him closer and crouching down he found a strange rock. As he picked up it and examined it, it sparkled at odd angles, bending the light in bizarre ways. While my Sim was by no means a rock collector, he had seen his share of geology, and this was like nothing he’d witnessed before. Pocketing it for later, he continued on his way, still eager to get to his fishing destination.

Climbing over a small boulder in the path and topping a hill, the lake spread out before my Sim, shimmering in the sun. Expecting calm waters, he was surprised to see the surface covered in ripples. Everywhere he looked, fish were breaking the surface, some completely leaving the water, fighting for food or a touch of morning air. Without a moment to lose, my Sim pulled out his trusty fishing rod, baited it, and cast into the middle of one of the liveliest areas.

Some hours later he’d caught a half dozen fish of several common varieties. A few were perfect enough specimens to be considered for mounting on the wall. My Sim was on his last cast of the day, when he made the catch of a lifetime! He reeled in what felt like an unusually small fish. Grabbing it out of the water, he stared into the malevolent, blood-red eyes of an almost pitch-black fish. Tiny fangs protruded from either side of its mouth. A chill ran through my Sim, whether from fear, or from the prospect of adding this prize to his collection of fish he did not know.

Satisfied with my story, I quickly saved my game and shut down the computer.

There is a ton more to find and collect in The Sims 3 that I would love to tell you about, but since I am running out of space I will have to leave you to discover them for yourself. Happy hunting and thanks for reading!

- Eric Holmberg-Weidler

look! you can make gold bars! it would be so fun to remake the first artemis fowl on sims 3 right?

do youu think that they should've doen the whole "Creators Camp" thing? or do you think they should just release it and get it over with?

I personally think they are setting this up to be a let down like breaking dawn was. theyve set up this huge hype and i dont think it will be as good as it sounds.

they've campaigned it as the magic bullet that will end boredom forever. i just think they're getting everyone's hopes up.

mind you im a bit of a hypocrite after that fulll on in your face "OMG THERE ARE GOLD BARS IN SIMS 3" thing just before

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
[spoiler]At Sunday Mass four Catholic mothers were chatting amiably.
The first Catholic woman tells her friends "My son is a priest. When he walks into a room, everyone calls him "Father."
The second Catholic woman chirps, "My son is a bishop. Whenever he walks into a room, people call him, "Your Grace."
The third Catholic mother says, "My son is a cardinal. Whenever he walks into a room, people say, "Your Eminence."
The fourth Catholic woman stays quiet , the first three women give her this subtle, "Well?"
So she replies, "My son is a gorgeous, 6' 2", hard-bodied dancer. When he walks into a room, people say, "Oh my God!"
[/spoiler]
OMG! CLICK ON THE SPOILER TO SEE A PHOTO OF THE AFCER I RAN INTO IN THE PARK!!! OUT SIDE THE INTERNET!!!

I think his expression shows he is thinking philosophical thoughts.
[spoiler]ITS OPTIGUY!
Image[/spoiler]

sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady

Re: The Sims 3

Postby sharkie » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:07 am

Hmm, i think it's better that they are releasing it later...

partly because I won't have it as a distraction when I have exams.

I like loads of aspects of it, universal aging, traits. But things like Rabbit Holes and the limits on CC are putting me off. I WILL buy it, I only download expansion packs, but I'm not holding my breath.

I remember the jump from sims 1 to sims 2- now THAT was big. This...doesn't look so big.

I do like how the sims look though :)
*TEETH KNASH* The yellow ducks shall eat your socks in the nighttime
Took Jangrafess out my sig, clearly he doesn't appreciate old respect when he's pulling stunts like that
Raped your sig to tell you, that yes it is! ~AG
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

POKEMON BEASTIALITY PWNS ALL (yes, that was me - Jangra)

SORREH, Niki, teal is my color. ^_^ *rape* BOLD FTW. - Voldylicious
i thought you needed new rape from me and i like this color so *rapes* (:
oohhh kittyyy, she's so orgasmically amazing. *rapes*

Hot_N_Spicy
Pixie
Location: On your beach, smashin' your castles and makin' sushi with your seaweed.

Postby Hot_N_Spicy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:33 am

Rabbit holes? limits on CC?

since when was there a limit on custom content?
The first Catholic woman tells her friends "My son is a priest. When he walks into a room, everyone calls him "Father."
The second Catholic woman chirps, "My son is a bishop. Whenever he walks into a room, people call him, "Your Grace."
The third Catholic mother says, "My son is a cardinal. Whenever he walks into a room, people say, "Your Eminence."
The fourth Catholic woman stays quiet , the first three women give her this subtle, "Well?"
So she replies, "My son is a gorgeous, 6' 2", hard-bodied dancer. When he walks into a room, people say, "Oh my God!"
[/spoiler]
OMG! CLICK ON THE SPOILER TO SEE A PHOTO OF THE AFCER I RAN INTO IN THE PARK!!! OUT SIDE THE INTERNET!!!

[spoiler]ITS OPTIGUY!
Image[/spoiler]

Rochenut
Shedding Harp Seal

Postby Rochenut » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:47 pm

Should've posted this:
The Sims and its acclaimed sequel, The Sims 2, were among the best-selling PC games of all time. The virtual-life simulators created by designer Will Wright spawned numerous expansions and gave players the ability to play God, endowing sims with personality traits and guiding them through work, play, love, and loss. Electronic Arts is aiming for The Sims 3 to improve on its predecessors in every way.

In The Sims 3, life will take place within one seamless, streaming neighborhood, rather than several neighborhoods that would require load times. You'll grant sims personality traits and guide them toward completing their deepest wishes, such as becoming an astronaut or a famous rock star. Achieving your lifetime dreams won't be easy, and you'll often be presented with morally questionable shortcuts on your way to the top. Will you really do anything to get ahead? We sat down with executive producer Ben Bell to get the latest on The Sims 3. Here's what he had to say.

Halloween parties build social skills at an early age...

GameSpot: Please give us an update on the game. What aspects are the team working on at the moment?

Ben Bell: A lot of our time is spent playing and perfecting the open, living neighborhood and all of the gameplay that takes place there. In The Sims 3, we're opening up the other half of life that players have always wanted to explore. What happens when you're not stuck at home? It's been a huge undertaking for us, but we're very happy with the way it's working out.

One example of the work we're doing is the AI behind the people who live in your town. You control a household of sims, but all of the other sims in your town live and develop as you play. It takes an impressive amount of tuning to make this work just right. I think that people are used to seeing lots of other characters in a gameworld, but they've never seen a gameworld where every character is being motivated by unique personality traits and motives like The Sims 3. Another thing we're working on is a feature called Create a Style, which allows players to customize just about everything, from clothing to furniture to cars. We want players to be able to change the game like our artists can. The interface is really powerful, and we want to make it perfect.

GS: We're sure The Sims 2 community was very vocal about what it wanted from a sequel. What were the most popular requests that fans made for The Sims 3?

BB: We're all fans of The Sims, and a lot of our team worked on The Sims and The Sims 2, so player feedback is built into our team. We also spend a lot of time interacting with members of The Sims community around the world. I don't think the game would be what it is without The Sims community. Fans have always wanted more interaction with a community of sims. If you think about it, The Sims is the most detailed depiction of contemporary life to be presented in a work of fiction, but half of life was missing. In The Sims 3, we'll let you explore the other half of life that happens when you are not at home.

GS: We understand that the game features a continuous neighborhood and no loading times, but there won't be multiple neighborhoods as in The Sims 2. Tell us a bit about this decision. How will it change what different players do with the game once they get it in their hands?

BB: There is one neighborhood, and it is pretty amazing. We've been working exclusively on this one neighborhood, Sunset Valley, for the last few years. There have been many versions of it. Some ideas were scrapped, while others survived for a while until we had a better idea. This town is bigger and richer than anything we've made before. We really wanted to make something that would blow people away, and we wanted to do more with the town than we have in the past.

No two towns will ever be the same after one generation in The Sims 3. As I mentioned, every sim has complete AI throughout their life. You'll see people grow up, go to school, fall in love, get married, get jobs, move out, have families, grow old, and pass away. It's also possible to change all of the sims in your town, so you can fill the town with whoever you like...celebrities, yourself, your friends, characters from your favorite show, favorite band or sports team, or anyone you can imagine!

GS: As players create their sims, they will now be able to select five personality traits that will help define their dispositions. How will this new system let players create characters with more-defined personalities...and more importantly, how will it do a better job of letting players re-create the personalities of themselves, their friends, or their favorite celebrities? What are some extreme personalities we'll see in The Sims 3?

BB: There are over 70 personality traits that players can choose from. When you choose traits, they are represented as a simple word that you might use to describe someone you know, so it's easy to understand what they will do in the game. What makes traits so powerful is that they can change the game in profound ways. You'll see different behaviors, interactions, advantages, and goals depending on the traits that your sims have. Just to name a few examples of more extreme traits, you can let your sims be insane, evil, kleptomaniac, paranoid, brave, hates kids, genius, and more...

GS: We understand that every sim has a dream that can be fulfilled as part of a lifetime achievement goal. What are some examples of lifetime achievements, and what happens when you reach it? What if you fail?

BB: Just like people, the sims have wishes. Some of their wishes are really big, and we call those lifetime wishes. A lifetime wish is a really big achievement like becoming a rock star, raising a huge family, getting rich, or becoming an astronaut. Along the way to achieving your lifetime wish, you'll fulfill smaller wishes. As you fulfill a sim's wishes, you earn points that can be used to purchase special traits and reward objects that are generally hilarious and awesome. There really is no way to fail in the game, but you can make some really funny things happen if you want to cause trouble for your sims.

GS: How much dedication does it take to reach the pinnacle of your respective career ladder? Are there any shortcuts to the top?

BB: If you play your cards right, you might be able to get to the top of more than one career in a lifetime, but it would take a lot of hard work, and your sim would need the right traits. Workaholic sims will be happy if they live at the office, so that might be a good way to go. There are definitely some shortcuts, and your sims will get opportunities from time to time that give them a boost.

GS: Plenty of open-ended moral choices will pop up in The Sims 3, like giving you the choice to skim off the top of campaign contributions in the political career. Give us some more examples of these moral choices depending on your career. What are the consequences of such decisions?

BB: The game is full of moral choices. Some of them are presented to the player as career opportunities. I don't want to give too much away on this subject. A lot of the moral choices in the game come from the social simulator, and this is where the game becomes so compelling. A lot of players use the game to explore moral questions in their own lives. It's sort of a "what if" simulator...
The bolded parts are the most interesting (to me at least)...

Bah my comp is so not going to take it

Hot_N_Spicy
Pixie

Postby Hot_N_Spicy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:26 am

hmmm i think the thing with the moral choices is more interesting
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]ITS OPTIGUY!
Image[/spoiler]

Juliet
Sprite
Real First Name: Anna

Postby Juliet » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:25 am

OMG.

I bought TS3 and made the Fowls!! I moved them into a big mansion and I got Angeline preggers...too bad I can't make the game make her have twins :P
I made Arty II, Arty I, Angeline, Butler, and Juliet, and I think I portrayed them rather well, except I can't get Butler to follow Artemis around all the time xD

Ihdreniel
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Hannah

Postby Ihdreniel » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:25 am

I'm so addicted. :( I love how you can walk around the neighborhood; the loading times in The Sims 2 were murder and this installment just clears that right up.

I also love how a lot of the same cheats still work-- at first I was worried that I would actually have to work to make my families rich enough to afford ridiculously huge mansions.
"eeeep!" says the insane chibling.
And then. . .

It attacks.

Image Image Image
Co-President of the Obnoxious Teenager Club
"Quantity > quality! Remember that."
~ Voldy

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants 'is paycheck.)

Return to “Technology / Computer Gaming”