homosexuality

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.

Should gay marriage be legalized

yes
130
71%
no
53
29%
 
Total votes: 183

acbrandt
Atlantean
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:48 am
Location: northwest indiana, USA
Status: Offline

homosexuality

Postby acbrandt » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:38 pm

Well, this should get interesting..... I'm a Christian, and the bible tells us that homosexuality is a sin. Yet, I knew a kid, who in kindergarten you could tell he was gay. With some of them, it seems like there's something chemical that makes them that way. I believe that that is how God created them to be, so how can it be a sin? *betting that that phrase is going to raise a few eyebrows*. Others, who 'find themself later in life' I don't think as highly of, b/c they more seem to pick it up, rather than be born with it. One thing I find most interesting is that a lot of guys are extremely afraid of gay guys, but find lesbians hot. I feel as long as they have a normal relationship (as in one partner and act like they're married, but aren't b/c the law is stupid and won't let them) that they are fine. Do you think gay marriage should be legalized?
Pathetic really : "I don't like lollipops". No self-respecting criminal mastermind would ever be caught dead even using the word lollipops."

“I’m trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she’s singing, but it doesn’t appear to be over.”

User avatar
Gus
Master of Haven
Posts: 6950
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:50 pm
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: homosexuality

Postby Gus » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:40 pm

acbrandt wrote:Others, who 'find themself later in life' I don't think as highly of, b/c they more seem to pick it up, rather than be born with it.

One does not "find themself later in life." You're born that way. It's in your genetics.

[s](Of course, this brings up the whole nature vs nurture debate...)[/s]
Image Image
My Artemis Fowl game: Part One | Part Two | Part Three

acbrandt
Atlantean
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:48 am
Location: northwest indiana, USA
Status: Offline

Re: homosexuality

Postby acbrandt » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:46 pm

Gus wrote:[s](Of course, this brings up the whole nature vs nurture debate...)[/s]


start a topic on that !!!!!! i can't wait to see what people say!
Pathetic really : "I don't like lollipops". No self-respecting criminal mastermind would ever be caught dead even using the word lollipops."

“I’m trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she’s singing, but it doesn’t appear to be over.”

User avatar
Lime Yay
Ten o' clock
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:27 am
Location: The Mitten of America
Status: Offline

Re: homosexuality

Postby Lime Yay » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:18 am

acbrandt wrote:I'm a Christian, and the bible tells us that homosexuality is a sin.


...Or it doesn't. Some people interpreted the Bible as saying that homosexuality is a sin. So I guess the Bible might be saying that, or it mightn't. I tend to go with might not. Because, like you said, saying those people are sinners is illogical, and pretty stupid. It's like saying people with red hair are sinners. I don't think there is any reason for gays to be unable to marry, and is in fact unfair. How beat up would you be if you said someone of a certain race couldn't marry?

~Lime Yay
Image
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

Diana
Ruler of the People
Posts: 4590
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Un-Space
Status: Offline

Re: homosexuality

Postby Diana » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:24 am

acbrandt wrote:Others, who 'find themself later in life' I don't think as highly of, b/c they more seem to pick it up, rather than be born with it.

Like Gus said, that's not true. Also, most homosexuals *do* know, at least subconsciously, since childhood... But society often pressures people to be straight, and the person's own morals may be against homosexuality, so many end up in denial. Just because someone's not "out" until they're 25 doesn't mean that they haven't been homosexual all along.

acbrandt wrote:One thing I find most interesting is that a lot of guys are extremely afraid of gay guys, but find lesbians hot.

Modern society is catered toward masculinity and men. Being a gay man is seen as being feminine, because it places the man in the sexual position of a straight woman, essentially. Being a gay woman increases masculinity, and because masculinity is what our culture encourages, it's easier for women to admit that they're gay than for men.

I think gay marriage should be legal. It's unfair and stupid to deny them the right to marry.
Image
(My avatar was given its awesome existence by the benevolent Voldy.
If Cuddy doesn't look familiar, don't talk to me till you've clicked this.)

sudenkarento
Sprite
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:36 pm
Real First Name: Kathryn
Location: Georgia, USA
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Postby sudenkarento » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:46 am

I believe that gay marraige is wrong; I believe it is a sin. I was raised to believe that homosexuality is a sin, and I believe it because I have read it in the Bible.

"For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons due pentalty of their error. And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper...and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice with them." (Romans 2:28-32)

The Bible is my final authority on everything... I believe what it says.
Swirling shades of blue
Slow dancing in your eyes
Sun kisses the earth
And I hush my urge to cry
There for You, Flyleaf

User avatar
Lime Yay
Ten o' clock
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:27 am
Location: The Mitten of America
Status: Offline

Postby Lime Yay » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:23 am

sudenkarento wrote:"For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons due pentalty of their error.


See, I've interpreted that to mean that God doesn't want us to have sex for the heck of it, what isn't natural, just for the sake of having sex. Having sex with men is an example of promiscuity only if you are attracted to women (abandon the natural...) I really think this passage is about being promiscuous.

~Lime Yay
Image
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

sudenkarento
Sprite
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:36 pm
Real First Name: Kathryn
Location: Georgia, USA
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Postby sudenkarento » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:18 pm

Lime Yay wrote:Having sex with men is an example of promiscuity only if you are attracted to women (abandon the natural...) I really think this passage is about being promiscuous.


I guess that's just a matter of your own interpretation. If you believe that God doesn't care whether men are with other men or with women, nothing that I say will be able to change your mind.

But I must also point out that one of the natural functions of human beings is to "fill the earth." (Genesis 1:28 ) If God doesn't care who people sleep with, why wouldn't he make men able to have children?
Swirling shades of blue
Slow dancing in your eyes
Sun kisses the earth
And I hush my urge to cry
There for You, Flyleaf

Stupid Ape
Centaur
Posts: 755
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: England (or maybe not) good to keep up suspense
Status: Offline

Postby Stupid Ape » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:37 pm

I'm against homosexuality and think its wrong but probably take a more liberal (ie less strict) view than some of the other christians here. I think its wrong but i dont think people should be blamed for it and that we should get on with everyone with the same attitude. Also i think its not just in your genetics, and that people do became more or less homosexual as they get older. I also think there's a lot of pressure from society and yourself involved and that in the end its all (or at least mostly) in the mind.

As regards legalising it, i think its not right, because marriage should be at least partly about religion and God (i believe society has distorted marriage) and that hmm... wait

I'm not sure actually what the harm in legalising in it is (it already has here in the Uk) it makes people happier, and im not sure if it does convince people to be homosexual, maybe more likely to come out, but hmmm.... I don't know (as you may have guessed).
God changes Lives. Will you let him change yours?

Stupid Ape
Centaur
Posts: 755
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: England (or maybe not) good to keep up suspense
Status: Offline

Postby Stupid Ape » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:24 pm

Question: Is what made them make the world a better place their homosexuality or woyld they have been just as good if they weren't gay?

Anyway, i think homosexuality is wrong in principle, but its their lives so let them live them.
God changes Lives. Will you let him change yours?

User avatar
Gus
Master of Haven
Posts: 6950
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:50 pm
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Postby Gus » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:04 pm

Jangrafess wrote:I've wikied some famous people who are gay - you can't say the world would have been better off without them.

Lord Byron, Elton John, Sir Ian McKellen, Oscar Wilde.

Alan Turing. Father of modern computer science. Died after eating a cyanide-laced apple.

Is what made them make the world a better place their homosexuality or woyld they have been just as good if they weren't gay?

Alan Turing was a genius, and if he didn't die, he could have continued living his life and producing more breakthroughs and stuff. </incoherent>

And why did he die? Ate a cyanide-laced apple. Two years after he admitted to a sexual relationship with a man.
Image Image
My Artemis Fowl game: Part One | Part Two | Part Three

sudenkarento
Sprite
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:36 pm
Real First Name: Kathryn
Location: Georgia, USA
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Postby sudenkarento » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:49 pm

Jangrafess wrote:How can something written in genetic code be wrong? How?


Because I don't believe it's written in the genetic code. Things like primordial dwarfism and Down's syndrom are in the genetic code as well. Not everything in the code is good.

Jangrafess wrote:You cannot say that you're going to live every aspect of your life from the point of view of a world in which there was hardly any technology to speak of.


Yes I can, actually. I don't believe that the Bible will ever be 'outdated' because I believe it was inspired by God. Nothing He ever does will be outdated. I do try to live my life as closely to the Scriptures as I can. Sometimes I fail. I am not perfect. But I do my best.

Jangrafess wrote:I've wikied some famous people who are gay - you can't say the world would have been better off without them.


You're right; I can't. But that doesn't change that their lifestyle wasn't scripturally correct.

Gus wrote:Ate a cyanide-laced apple. Two years after he admitted to a sexual relationship with a man.


I'm curious; was the apple poisoned because he'd had that relationship or just because he wasn't liked?
Swirling shades of blue
Slow dancing in your eyes
Sun kisses the earth
And I hush my urge to cry
There for You, Flyleaf

User avatar
Gus
Master of Haven
Posts: 6950
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:50 pm
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Postby Gus » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:56 pm

Because I don't believe it's written in the genetic code. Things like primordial dwarfism and Down's syndrom are in the genetic code as well. Not everything in the code is good.

But those people don't choose to be like that. Same with homosexuals. They don't choose to be homosexual. They're born that way.

sudenkarento wrote:
Gus wrote:Ate a cyanide-laced apple. Two years after he admitted to a sexual relationship with a man.


I'm curious; was the apple poisoned because he'd had that relationship or just because he wasn't liked?

Nobody knows for sure why he committed suicide. (If it was suicide.)
Image Image
My Artemis Fowl game: Part One | Part Two | Part Three

acbrandt
Atlantean
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:48 am
Location: northwest indiana, USA
Status: Offline

Postby acbrandt » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:00 pm

Stupid Ape wrote:because marriage should be at least partly about religion and God


i disagree, while i know that marriage originated in religon, i believe that, since it is the law, not religon preventing these marriages, that we should separate (esp in the US where we're supposed to have the freedom of religon & such) government and religon.
Pathetic really : "I don't like lollipops". No self-respecting criminal mastermind would ever be caught dead even using the word lollipops."

“I’m trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she’s singing, but it doesn’t appear to be over.”

Diana
Ruler of the People
Posts: 4590
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Un-Space
Status: Offline

Postby Diana » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:27 am

acbrandt wrote:
Stupid Ape wrote: because marriage should be at least partly about religion and God

i disagree, while i know that marriage originated in religon, i believe that, since it is the law, not religon preventing these marriages, that we should separate (esp in the US where we're supposed to have the freedom of religon & such) government and religon.

Yes - and also, if the two people getting married are atheists, for example, why should they have to follow Christian tradition?

Stupid Ape wrote:Question: Is what made them make the world a better place their homosexuality or woyld they have been just as good if they weren't gay?

That's rather an irrelevant question. It's like asking, "Is what made them make the world a better place the fact that they were male, or would they have been just as good if they were female?" It doesn't matter, because they weren't female, they weren't straight - it's not like they could have changed it. There's no point in hypothesizing about it. But condemning homosexuality more fiercely than it is already condemned might have stunted their opportunities for greatness, and being more open to homosexuality might have opened more opportunities for greatness. These are the things you should be hypothesizing about, because these are things that people can change.

sudenkarento wrote:Yes I can, actually. I don't believe that the Bible will ever be 'outdated' because I believe it was inspired by God. Nothing He ever does will be outdated. I do try to live my life as closely to the Scriptures as I can. Sometimes I fail. I am not perfect. But I do my best.

Living your life by what you believe is God's will is fine. It can cause people to do awful things, but there are plenty of influences that make people do awful things. However - the key word here is "inspired." The Bible was not written by God, it was inspired by him. Therefore, this book is NOT the word of God, it is the words of various humans, and humans are inherently flawed, "sinful" if you like. And this makes the Bible inherently flawed, and any decisions you make based solely on the Bible are also inherently flawed.
Image
(My avatar was given its awesome existence by the benevolent Voldy.
If Cuddy doesn't look familiar, don't talk to me till you've clicked this.)


Return to “The Debate Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Artemis Fowl Confidential Fan Forum : Disclaimer

Login  •  Register