Should you care what others think?

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.
evil pixie
Sprite

Should you care what others think?

Postby evil pixie » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:12 am

Everyone always tells you: don't care about what others think. Don't change yourself no matter what.

But should you care what others think?

Where I come from, they tell you to never stop trying to better yourself, take your bad habits and change them.

And about what people think about you, don't you want to earn respect from those around you? Is what others think nessicarily not worth paying attention?
I like the word evil. Scramble it a little, and you get vile and live. Good on the other hand, is just a command to go do.-Jodi Picoult, The Tenth Circle

A monkey glances up and sees a banana, and that's as far as he looks. A visionary looks up and sees the moon.-Victor Vigney

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

crystal_clear
but you can call me Awesome
Real First Name: O rlly nao?

Re: Should you care what others think?

Postby crystal_clear » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:46 am

I think that's basically telling you not to bend to the desires of others. If someone doesn't like you hair colour, for example, that doesn't mean you go out and dye your hair to make them happy, you do what you do.

You shouldn't conform or do things just to fit in with a certain group of people. But that doesn't mean you should go overboard trying NOT to conform, just... be natural. Go with the flow. I think there is a certain amount that you should care what people think. I mean, you don't want people to think you're gross, mean, creepy, anything like that... but when it comes to being quirky and stuff, go right ahead, other people shouldn't tell you how to act.

Personally, I throw a T-shirt and jeans on, force the brush through my hair every morning and brush my teeth, but I don't spend time putting make-up on, coordinating outfits or figuring out if I'm going to crimp, curl or straighten my hair in the morning. As far as I'm concerned, it's a waste of my time, and people can deal with me this way, it's not like I try to look like garbage, I think I look fine.

I hope that made sense.

Also, earning respect from people shouldn't mean that you have to act/look completely different. I mean, it's understandable if you're applying for a job somewhere, then you act mature, brush your hair a few more times than usual, but if it's with your peers then you shouldn't worry about it so much.
Facebook: Stealing every aspect of your daily life and using it in our plan to dominate the world through mind control and hamster wheels since 2006.

Centaurboi2
Programmer in Purple
Programmer in Purple
Real First Name: Nick
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Centaurboi

Postby Centaurboi2 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:58 pm

I agree with you CC, I have found my life much easier and more enjoyable once I got over the whole "what will people think if I do this? If I wear that? Say this?", you know?

It's become easier to give presentations and talk to new people(girls :shiny:). I just figure if someones gonna like me, it's for who I am, not a mask I but on to fool people.
Cookies and milk next to the stove. Be sure to stay out of trouble and wash your face before bed! :)
Love,
Mum

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:09 pm

Depends.
If we arent talking about specific things, like what others think about how you look or your personality, then Id have to say yes.
I mean, we live in a society, with others.
Therefore it really does matter what others think of you.
Being socially accepted and favored could help you in many different ways. Like getting a job.

Basically you shouldn't care, only if your willing to become a hermit and live in seclusion, since then you are outside of society where you are constantly influenced negatively or postively by others, based on how they feel towards you.
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

crystal_clear
but you can call me Awesome
Real First Name: O rlly nao?

Postby crystal_clear » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:57 pm

My dad... he is a prime example of not caring, and exactly how far you can go without people giving you a second look.

For christmas, he got two wonderful pairs of plaid pajama pants... and one night my mom told him to come with her to get some groceries. He said he would, but he wasn't changing. So he went out in lovely, red, plaid pajama pants and a random T-shirt. Apparently some girl hit on him.

My dad's motto is "If you don't like how I look/act, then don't look at me" and I think that's something we should all take into account. It's not other people's say how you dress or act, if you're comfortable with it, go ahead.
Being socially accepted and favored could help you in many different ways. Like getting a job.
Well, it's different when you're around people you would like to favor you. Like... a potential employer, your principal, your parent's friends, etc. etc. But if it's your peers? If there's no one to impress? Why stress yourself out trying to act differently?
Facebook: Stealing every aspect of your daily life and using it in our plan to dominate the world through mind control and hamster wheels since 2006.

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:42 am

But if it's your peers? If there's no one to impress? Why stress yourself out trying to act differently?

Most people want to impress their peers, tbh.

I think it is important what others thing - maybe it shouldn't be, but it is. If you want more than one or two friends, you have to make sure you have a good impression. There are limits obviously; you don't change your entire style/personality etc. to impress someone, but as someone before me said, we live in a society and we will care what others thing, no matter what really.
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

nindra
Council Member

Postby nindra » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:32 am

Personally, I throw a T-shirt and jeans on, force the brush through my hair every morning and brush my teeth, but I don't spend time putting make-up on, coordinating outfits or figuring out if I'm going to crimp, curl or straighten my hair in the morning. As far as I'm concerned, it's a waste of my time, and people can deal with me this way, it's not like I try to look like garbage, I think I look fine.
This.
I think it is important what others thing - maybe it shouldn't be, but it is. If you want more than one or two friends, you have to make sure you have a good impression.
I've got two good IRL-friends (and then those people at school who's at least not actively trying to get rid of me), and bunch of friends in Net (but we meet regularly!), just by being who I am. If you try constantly impress others and get friends that way, are they actually good friends? Especially if you're doing so appearance-wise. Sure, if you look like garbage, people tries to avoid you, but my point is that if you can't stand your friends seeing you without make-up, there's something wrong.
Though I'm quite introverted and I don't mind being alone doing my own thing (xD), so I suppose my opinion doesn't count. :P
æ

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:17 pm

I think the question isn't whether or not you should care what others think, it's that you should care about what you think more.
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:16 am

People seem to be overspecifying this. It doesnt limit the question to if others don't like the way you are. Or to fashion or a specific area.

Caring about what you think is not as important as about what others. Some criminals feel justified with their crimes. Some criminals honestly don't see a problem with whatever crime their committing.
And they keep on breaking the law because of it. Because they dont care what others think.
But, we live in a society, with other people. Therefore, what we think on the matter is not as important as what others think. Social acceptance is slightly key to success. Not to mention, we live in a democracy. If everyone thinks stealing is a crime, we should not put our view over the masses, over others opinions. As citizens we are obligated to follow the rules and opinions of others if it is majority rule and laws are made because of it.

And even if success isn't that important to you, acceptance with your family and friends. If your close to them, their (others) opinions should matter a great deal to you, over your own.
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby sharkie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:44 am

You should care, because being likable is what'll get you in life.

Yeah, you're qualified and all that jazz. But I've been told for ages that it's the interview that will count.

So you may be mega smart, but in a world where EVERYONE is getting qualifications now, the one who is awkard, smelly, or just a dickhead is the one who probably won't get the job.

Believe it or not, if the majority thinks your a wierdo, chances are there is something slightly wrong with your personality.

I'm not saying you should try and change- dye your hair blonde or get a tan. I'm saying don't take the attitude 'people don't like me so I'm UNIQUE'- maybe just try and dampen your most annoying aspects like...

Do you constantly talk about anime? Or japan? IRL, STOP IT

Seriously.

Because you know what, no matter how shallow it seems, you should care about what people think. Because you aren't the one who owns that big company you want a job in.
*TEETH KNASH* The yellow ducks shall eat your socks in the nighttime
Took Jangrafess out my sig, clearly he doesn't appreciate old respect when he's pulling stunts like that
Raped your sig to tell you, that yes it is! ~AG
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

POKEMON BEASTIALITY PWNS ALL (yes, that was me - Jangra)

SORREH, Niki, teal is my color. ^_^ *rape* BOLD FTW. - Voldylicious
i thought you needed new rape from me and i like this color so *rapes* (:
oohhh kittyyy, she's so orgasmically amazing. *rapes*

shiaw_bing2000
Centaur
Real First Name: Patrick

Postby shiaw_bing2000 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:50 am

yes and remember you are unique just like every other person in the world :P

I have to disagree with you their Sharkie. I personally don't care what people think of me I mean a lot of them thinking I'm crazy and slightly annoying (occasionaly) but thats who I am and I like being that way I'm not going to change that for someone, and if they don't like it well too damn bad.

Being weird is the fun part about life because without weirdness there is simply normalness and being normal is boring. :P
Mark Twain ~ "Let first assume that you are a member of congress, let us further assume that you are an idiot, But I repeat myself."

98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
"Common sense is not intelligence, common sense is simply the ability to not make yourself look stupid."
"Sharp pointy teeth" & " I fart in your general direction" & "you mother was a hampster and your father smelt of elder beries".
guy 1: - Who's that
guy 2: - I think its a king
guy 1: - Why do think that?
guy 2: - cause he hasn't got sh$t all over him! - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby sharkie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:33 am

yes and remember you are unique just like every other person in the world :P

I have to disagree with you their Sharkie. I personally don't care what people think of me I mean a lot of them thinking I'm crazy and slightly annoying (occasionaly) but thats who I am and I like being that way I'm not going to change that for someone, and if they don't like it well too damn bad.

Being weird is the fun part about life because without weirdness there is simply normalness and being normal is boring. :P
My point was actually not that you should try and change so people like you.. but so you are employable
*TEETH KNASH* The yellow ducks shall eat your socks in the nighttime
Took Jangrafess out my sig, clearly he doesn't appreciate old respect when he's pulling stunts like that
Raped your sig to tell you, that yes it is! ~AG
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

POKEMON BEASTIALITY PWNS ALL (yes, that was me - Jangra)

SORREH, Niki, teal is my color. ^_^ *rape* BOLD FTW. - Voldylicious
i thought you needed new rape from me and i like this color so *rapes* (:
oohhh kittyyy, she's so orgasmically amazing. *rapes*

bentj96
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Steven
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Dark Star

Postby bentj96 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:14 am

Caring what people think is best, to a certain extent. Once someone insults you, when you know it only could be true, it's no big deal. On the other hand, some people go over the top with not caring. My friend got rejected 10 times for this very reason. He does not care **** about what people think.
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

Glow sticks glow when snapped. Why can't my leg?

"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~lorddarkstar

FoalysGirl
The Techie

Postby FoalysGirl » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:25 am

I don't think one should really care what people think. You should be yourself and your friends should accept you for who you are.
"Edwin, what's the plural for Ox?"
"Oxen. The farmer used his oxen."
"Brian,"
"What?"
"What's the plural for box?"
"Boxen! I bought two boxen of doughnuts."

---Brain's stupid in school comedy skit

"I'm the dude, playing the dude, disguised as another dude." ----Tropic Thunder

"Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock." ------ Buffy season 6

"He was like....Napoleon!" ---Me

bentj96
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Steven
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Dark Star

Postby bentj96 » Fri May 01, 2009 1:08 am

True in a way. But if you don't care, you will be bullied and you will have trouble with people. For me, the rule is, as long as people don't think I'm weird, I'm ok.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

Glow sticks glow when snapped. Why can't my leg?

"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~lorddarkstar

Return to “The Debate Forum”