[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Should you care what others think? - Page 3 - Artemis Fowl Confidential Fan Forum

Should you care what others think?

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.
Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Re: Should you care what others think?

Postby Kitsy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:36 pm

What if someone's a slut and they're damn proud of it? xD

Sarah Short
Goblin
Real First Name: Sarah

Postby Sarah Short » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:19 am

Well, for me its half an half. You should ALWAYS believe in yourself and do what you like. But, you can also take advice from people. Just think about the big picture, In 20 years when you have a job and possibly a family, will it matter others thought? I care about what people say to me, but if its bad I ignore them and say 'what will I gain by changing myself because someone else wants me to?'

You are better at being yourself than trying to be someone else. - Sarah Short
R.I.P. Julius Root LEP Recon Commandar

I'm an A/H-er, just sayin.

I love my sisters, Sabrina Short and Holly Short

Here's an idea! Recomend Artemis Fowl to a friend! This way Artemis Fowl can be even more popular!

Laotzu
Pixie
Real First Name: Derek

Postby Laotzu » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:19 pm

Upon further examination of the issue I must change my position. I think that you should care what others think about you. For the most part. I don't believe there is a clear cut rule that you should or shouldn't care. I think that, caring or not caring depends on the situation and what you can judge personally. For example, if you hurt someone emotionally, then you should definitely care about their feelings and their opinion of you. However, if you face a situation in which you are engaging in irrational behavior in order to gain social acceptance, then you shouldn't care. In other words, act rationally. Consider the consequences of your actions on yourself and on others. That's the philosophy I usually take.
"Now, are you going to cause a fuss or are you going to come quietly? Let me give you a hint: the answer is come quietly." -Butler

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose then I'm crazy. That's the way history is written." -Artemis Fowl

Foaly: Anyone see you come in here?
Holly: The FBI, CIA, NSA, DEA, MI6. Oh, and the EIB.
Foaly: The EIB?
Holly: (smirking) Everyone in the building.

bentj96
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Steven
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Dark Star

Postby bentj96 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:05 am

Well...Sarah Short. You need to care if it makes you look bad in a non-material way. Material reasons include...stuff like slightly odd clothes, weird stride, different hairdo etc. Stuff like wearing pajamas to school, or having shampoo still in your hair, screaming in class, blocking the hall way like no one is there etc are non-material. Make sure to at least stay some what classy. (Classy isn't the right word, but I couldn't think of anything else)
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

Glow sticks glow when snapped. Why can't my leg?

"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

TeamVampire
Swear Toad
Real First Name: Steph

Postby TeamVampire » Mon May 03, 2010 11:39 am

Ninety-eight percent of teenagers copy and paste made-up facts into their signature. If you're part of the two percent that unwittingly fell into this trap while attempting to mock them, copy and paste this into your signature.

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Mon May 03, 2010 3:14 pm

I can't quite get my head around that, Teamvampire. If you don't try to better yourself then you can't be the best person that you can be - surely that is one of the most important things in life? No matter how confident someone is, or how self-assured they are, they should also be aware of the flaws in their character and try to make themselves better people. It just... seems such an important and natural thing to do in your life. One should always strive to be better, otherwise you'll never reach your potential.
That being said, you shouldn't obsess over it, but it's still very important. The "screw you" attitude make seem very hardcore in high school etc. but in the real world it won't get you anywhere. Obviously there is a time and place for not caring what others think - you need to be your own person with your own individual thoughts and opinions, but you can't go through life ignoring everyone else's opinions, it's just not practical or social, and we are social creatures by nature.

TeamVampire
Swear Toad

Postby TeamVampire » Tue May 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Oh, I love the reference to my age. Thanks. Just because I'm still in school, it doesn't mean I have no perspective. I'm not trying to impress anyone with my devil-may-care attitude. I'm comfortable with how I am.

Seriously, it's not that I'm not an empathetic person. Changing minor aspects of myself because other people may not like them just isn't my idea of personal-betterment. I feel that as long as I can accept my flaws and move on, then there's no problem. If there was something about myself that I didn't like, then I would make an effort to do something about it. But, at present, there isn't. I can be a little arrogant, a bit annoying, sometimes vain, often lazy, occasionally insensitive, but I don't mind. Everyone's flawed. I was somewhat on the pessimistic side for a good while up until recently, and it was really rather getting me down, but I made an effort to change that, and it feels as though it worked.

As for being "the best person that you can be", well, why? There's one thing that I always have too much of in high school, and it's assessment. Ten months of the year, there's hardly a moment when I don't have an exam coming up, or an assignment due in, or just homework to complete. And every bit of it goes towards a grade which tells me whether I'm good at the subject or not. It's stressful and, frankly, taking its toll on my general health. And while other people's opinions don't usually affect me, grades are important. I can't ignore them.

So, with so much effort already being put into schoolwork, I sort of consider myself as one thing in my life that I don't need to spend unnecessary time working on.
Ninety-eight percent of teenagers copy and paste made-up facts into their signature. If you're part of the two percent that unwittingly fell into this trap while attempting to mock them, copy and paste this into your signature.

Antilles
Rolling Thunder
Real First Name: Mohammad

Postby Antilles » Tue May 04, 2010 2:54 pm

School is the drudgework you have to get through to get someplace interesting in the real world. Was I bored and lazy and high school? Yep. Did that get me anywhere in college? Nope, plus you get hammered there with more assignments and more tests and more grades. So what's the point of getting better? Now that I've gotten my act together, I have the contacts, confidence, and the know-how to get someplace in the real world. Right now I'm working on a commercial video game full-time with my friends. If I decided a couple years ago "I'm a pretty OK programmer, this is good enough for me" I'd never have gotten where I am now. I wouldn't have the skills or experience necessary to do what I've been wanting to do since high school.

You work to make yourself a better person for your own sake, not to impress the rest of the world.

TeamVampire
Swear Toad

Postby TeamVampire » Tue May 04, 2010 9:56 pm

I know, I know. I've heard that before. And it makes sense, of course. I'm not illogical. But as much as I may tell myself that, and even though I realise one and a half years of high school is next to no time at all, it still doesn't make me, well, motivated, I suppose is the best word. It's before 7am here, so excuse the probable lack of coherence. Anyway, I have career goals, places I'm trying to get in life, but none that I really want to get to. I have more back-up plans than I can count. In QLD, we use OP scores, 1-25, to determine whether we're good enough for a certain university course. Optometry: OP 2. Radiology: OP 4. Creative & professional writing: OP 8. Teaching: OP 13. I could go on. But that's not even in the order I want to do them. If it were up to me, I'd be trying to get into the writing course, but that's not realistic.

I'm straying from the topic here, not to mention getting a little personal. I guess I just don't have the motivation for change. And here I was thinking I was less pessimistic nowadays. :spaced:

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:08 am

I see you too! XD

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:24 am

Opal, give it up already with the "I'm so different and no one accepts me but I'm okay with it." You go on about how you don't care what people think, yet in your Journal you said you wouldn't go to that school therapy discussion because you thought people would think you were weird (or something to that extent). And you act like a bloody martyr, as if you are the strangest person in the world and whatever. Grow up, we all go through high school and not everyone fits in. Stop judging the rest of the people at your school who you percieve as trying to fit in or being popular - you don't know them, you don't know why they act like they do so just stop it.

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:13 pm

I thought you said you wanted to be completely normal, Opal, like even if it meant being stupider. Like you just wanted to fit in. I am just a little confused if it's ok to fit in by being born normal, why is not ok to act normal out of choice? You don't have to say pompous things, plenty of smart people have lots of friends and act normal.

Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:07 pm

@Lime and Kits I am OK with being different. I've gotten used to it, if you see what I mean. At times I'm quite proud I can be myself no matter what; however, there is not a person in the world who has not, or will not, at some point in there lives, wish they were different.

If you are naturally normal, then it's fine to fit in. If you were born with a different personality to most people, then I believe it is wrong to try and fit in; those who don't were born to be different and shine. That's why I don't alter myself because I couldn't do it.

I don't judge the rest of the people as changing themselves to fit in. They tell me they are. It's weird, if I'm with someone and they're a "faker" (as I call them) they admit it to me (I have NO idea why O.o), they just say "i wish I could be like you and have the courage to be myself" (which is soooo cheesy!); and let's face it, a lot of teens think that's how they should act, that they should play the popularity game. Is anyone genuinly like that? What if no one is? If no one is, then it's weird to think that loads of people are trying to be in a group that doesn't exsist... (sorry, me going off into possiblities and teen psychology).

It's not just that I'm marked down as a "gifted" student (Isn't it stupid they call it gifted. Just because some students in every school are intelligent doesn't make it a gift. Gifted is the name 'd give to a good artist or singer, but to someone intelligent I'd just say "smart" < sorry minirant), it's the fact I don't do what most girls do, and I certainly hold very different beliefs. (I won't get into it).

But I think something brilliant about this is I am being myself, and I have a group of very good friends, by being me. It must be heart-breaking to pretend to be something your not and have friends that like you for who you're pretending to be. I couldn't live like that.

So, don't care what people think about me. But the reason for that group therapy disscussion thing they suggested, was because just because I don't care what others say about me, it doesn't mean I'm not hurt by what I think of myself and what I tell myself. It's easy for someone who really doesn't fit in to feel like something is wrong with them.
The intelligence thing is only difficult because it's frustrating to get things others don't. To be quicker. I'm not an amazingly "gifted" child, people my age who are properly "gifted" like child genii are doing A-levels. I don't know about anyone on here, but you might be shite clever with mythology, but no one else gets it. If you study mythology with a bunch of others that don't get it everyday it gets annoying, and you start to wish you didn't know it. I hope that explains it Lime Yay.

I see you too! XD

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:28 pm

NO ONE IS NORMAL. YOU ARE NOT ANY MORE SPECIAL THAN ANYONE ELSE. You talk how everyone else is born normal, have personalities that fit in. That's bullshit. You are having some trouble fitting in at high school, that does not mean you were born different or that your personality is anything at all out of the "ordinary." There is no such thing as being "naturally normal." And don't label people as "fakers," because that means you're just as bad as them if they called you a loser or a nerd or a freak. You are judging people, it's clear through every single thing you write. You think you're better because you "be yourself." That doesn't make you better than anyone else, in fact it almost shows how ignorant and naiive you are. People who adjust themselves to be less objectable to those around them aren't "fakers," they're realistic. People who go through life really not caring if they are irritating other people, if others seem them as arrogant etc. are not going to get far in life and are very inconsiderate.

Yes, there is a fine line to being yourself and being completely "fake," but you go so out of your way to be something different that it's just ridiculous.

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:10 pm

You realise I was useing that terminology to make my opinion easier to explain along with being metaphorical, right?
And the people I laybel as fakers do go out of their way to be something different, which I find horribly upsetting,

Also, is it right to call someone a freak because they don't fit in? Because of who they are? In year 6, I think, some girl asked me "DOn't you want to be popular?" And I said "NO, I'm not like that." And d'you know what she said? "Oh my God you weirdo. Why don't you want to fit in? If you don't others'll just make fun of you."
I just replied, "I don't care," and walked away.

Anyway, to put it simply, my opinion is that everyone should be themselves regradless of what others think. Therefore, it does not matter what others think as long as your happy.

I see you too! XD

Return to “The Debate Forum”