[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Should you care what others think? - Page 5 - Artemis Fowl Confidential Fan Forum

Should you care what others think?

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.
ILiveForTheDay
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name: ForeverDay

Re: Should you care what others think?

Postby ILiveForTheDay » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:02 pm

In an ideal world we wouldn't even need this debate, we would have the chance to be whoever we wanted to be (and wth let's go the whole wack, we'd be perfect so it wouldn't matter)

We don't live in an ideal world, and you're always going to get peer pressure. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes that's a bad thing. But, it's equally irritating when people have no. . . scarm. Eh, I'm not sure of the English equivilant. No self-awareness, no social skills, don't care what people think. Yes, you do change to fit in with other people, especially as you go through your teen years, but that doesn't make you a bad person. Perhaps you shouldn't care as much but you need to care enough to get through life without getting your ass kicked.

Pretty much what everyone's said.
☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

Grady: 'Cuz everytime you try to do something nice for us we end up sad
Nico: Or injured
Grady: Or in Mexico. . .

It's ALIVE.

☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:38 pm

I'm going to use this VERY closed question example, it's very very simple:
I used to dye my hair brown because I hated what others where saying about my ginger hair (which, looking back on it, is embarrassing for me because I should've just ignored them!), I've stopped now. But I used to because I cared what they thought of me (well, part of me, my hair). Was that the right thing to do?

I see you too! XD

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:16 pm

But was a part of the reason that you dyed your hair because you didn't like the colour yourself? That was most probably a part of it.

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:36 pm

Actually, I quite like my hair. Red hair is the rarest in the world, and I like my appearance to reflect my personality (In the sense I'm not your average joanna). I'm too pale to have brown hair - and too freeckly! I didn't want others being jerks because of it. Now if someone says something (and trust me, the things they say are highy intelligent like "LOL. You're ginger.") I just say "Yep. Point? Or were you just being a moron?" and turn away.
Dying my hair was certianly the easier thing to do, but was it right?

I see you too! XD

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:36 pm

Why do you keep thinking you're something different? And who really cares if it was the right thing to do? I mean really, why bother asking. You dyed your hair, no ones going to judge you for it, whatever the reasons are.

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:00 pm

I dyed my hair because I cared what others thought/said. Thus it relates to this topic. I think it was wrong to do that, I was merely asking someone else's opinion. There isn't a need to get uptight.

I see you too! XD

15bubbles
Mud Man
Real First Name: J.H.

Postby 15bubbles » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:45 pm

I think that you should care and not care. If there is an absolutely over whelming agreement or you want to earn favors, you should try to care. I mean, you've always been influenced by peer pressure and the like. For example, people say that boys wearing dresses is wrong.( As in lacy, flower print dresses.) So guys don't wear them because they're afraid of the snickers and since just about everybody thinks that, you'd end up being pretty lonely. If you don't mind being lonely, go ahead! If you do, you might want to reconsider.

Hmm... It looks like if it's about you, you should do what makes you the happiest unless it harms someone else. You shouldn't care overly much though, because you can't please everybody. There isn't enough time to do that and some things are polar opposites. Like if one faction is trying to get you to be Christian and another is trying to get you to be atheist. You can't possibly be both! Take whichever course YOU think is best.
When I'm stressed, I laugh. When I'm happy, I laugh. When I'm nervous, I laugh. If I find something funny, I can't stop laughing.

If you find any poisonous plants in your tea, just to let you know, it wasn't me.

Don't pop my bubbles. I'll get depressed.

Frondish17
Pixie
Real First Name: Liv
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Frondish17

Postby Frondish17 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:25 am

Caring about what others think should not stop you from showing your true personality. A really good example of this is my cousin: I visited her recently and went with her to a co-op at her church. Now, my cousin is better at showing who she really is than anyone else I know or will ever know. If she wants to get up and dance to the music, she will get up and dance to the music. She even invites you to dance with her! She'll come up to you and start quoting a poem about the anatomy of the facial structure. She instructs a group of five-year-old kids in a drama class and stands up there and acts with them. And guess what? Every person who passed by her in that time I was with her stopped to say hello, tell her about a problem they had, hug her, congratulate her - she was surrounded by people who looked totally at ease around her because she was completely at ease with herself. I live my social life going by her guidelines. The trick, therefore, is to pinpoint your own personality and care about what you think about yourself. If you are strong in your own personality and know who you are, you will draw others to you and make them like you by just being you.

[/center]

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:03 pm

It depend. Care in sense of being considerate is important as long as you don't have to step back from your values. So yeas It is important care.
Spot light steeling squad

Heroic Blue screen of Death

Frondish17
Pixie
Real First Name: Liv
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Frondish17

Postby Frondish17 » Fri May 06, 2011 4:19 am

You and I seem to be on the same page, Tenzen. Do not compromise your morals for others, but definitely put consideration into the way you communicate with others.

[/center]

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:31 am

I noticed it as well. You put it almost as well as me :laughing:
Spot light steeling squad

Heroic Blue screen of Death

AthenaParadizo
Commander

Postby AthenaParadizo » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:19 pm

It depends. If you're like me (nerdy, and dresses like a teacher), you don't give two hoots if people think you are a geek (since it's true) or if they don't like the way you look (who cares? I like it). But you do care if people think you have no friends (unless you are truly stoic and don't have any, then you don't care), or if they think that you're weird and verbalize it (which basically means that they are puzzled at why you don't conform and act differently then the rest of them).
But if you're like that (nerdy, dresses practically, don't bother conforming looks-wise, have a reputation as somebody intelligent) then you really do care what others think. For example, your teachers, your friends that aren't as nearrow-minded as the popular crowd, and your parents. You're just smart emough to know that there are some people whose opinions aren't worth caring about.

JetDragon1656
Mud Man
Real First Name: Stephanie

Postby JetDragon1656 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:28 pm

well if ya ask someone for there opinion you should care about it and the opinion of the people you care about. however if someone comes up to you and says your the worest person in the world you shouldn't care because they don't know you at all and at just judging you from the outside
[/font]

AliceFowl
Dwarf
Real First Name: Veronica

Postby AliceFowl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:02 pm

arikichu

AthenaParadizo
Commander

Postby AthenaParadizo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:33 pm

Wow. Me, a stoic? The closest I ever came to being stoic was walking several blocks in a freezing cold, windy snowstorm in indoor sneakers and only cursing twice!
And wow again! That's the best way to respond to an insult - let them know it doesn't insult you! (It's hard, though - I could never look at somebody and say,"Yes, I am a nerd. I am a geek. I don't have many friends, but that doesn't bother me." to their face. You're really brave, Alice!)

Return to “The Debate Forum”