[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
World or love? - Page 2 - Artemis Fowl Confidential Fan Forum

World or love?

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.

A virus will be released into the air. You can give the vaccine to everyone, or to your love.

World
93%
Love
7%

Total votes: 15

shiaw_bing2000
Centaur
Real First Name: Patrick

Re: World or love?

Postby shiaw_bing2000 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:52 am

Last edited by Voldy on Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiler tags.
Mark Twain ~ "Let first assume that you are a member of congress, let us further assume that you are an idiot, But I repeat myself."

98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
"Common sense is not intelligence, common sense is simply the ability to not make yourself look stupid."
"Sharp pointy teeth" & " I fart in your general direction" & "you mother was a hampster and your father smelt of elder beries".
guy 1: - Who's that
guy 2: - I think its a king
guy 1: - Why do think that?
guy 2: - cause he hasn't got sh$t all over him! - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

bentj96
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Steven
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Dark Star

Postby bentj96 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:37 am

Once you meet your soul mate, this will mean something completely new. Giving it to your love would be selfish wouldn't it? If the world were to die, your love would also die, in the worst way possible. Dying in the hospital bed is so much better then attempting to survive as two people. And if the world got it, you yourself would get it too. Then your love would be all alone. Better one die then all, and then that one.
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

Glow sticks glow when snapped. Why can't my leg?

"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

evil pixie
Sprite

Postby evil pixie » Thu May 07, 2009 10:15 pm

There's also that similar question:

If one person had the antidote to a deadly disease that many others possesed, would you kill that person in order to save the others? ( the person is unwilling to give up his/her life )

On one side, killing an innocent person in any culture, any society is wrong.

On the other, people are dying because this person is living.

What if this person with the antidote is your own family, friend? Would you still do it?

Back to the other question. Saving your love would be incredibly selfish. But saving the world would not only mean giving up your true love, but also meaning she/he would die an incredibly painful death. Would you bear knowing that you destroyed the world? Would you bear knowing you put the person you love through a painful death?

Anyways, I would hate to be in that position.
I like the word evil. Scramble it a little, and you get vile and live. Good on the other hand, is just a command to go do.-Jodi Picoult, The Tenth Circle

A monkey glances up and sees a banana, and that's as far as he looks. A visionary looks up and sees the moon.-Victor Vigney

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:46 pm

If I were in that situation, I would give it to myself.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

Lyra Angelica
Sprite
Real First Name: Haleigh

Postby Lyra Angelica » Sat May 09, 2009 10:24 pm

I don't see how the situation is plausible...how can one vaccine either be given to one person or eight billion and still have the same effect? And why is your love separate from the world? And why on earth would anyone give you that much power to control the future of humanity?

But...if it were the case, the only logical answer for me would be to choose the world. You have to remember that as much as you love him/her, there are billions of people out there who feel the same about their loves, their families, their lives, their hopes and dreams. To take all that away just for the sake of one person who is probably only so special to you, is nothing short of a crime against humanity. Price of the Me generation, I suppose.

But then again, I'm more or less an utilitarian.
Last edited by Lyra Angelica on Sun May 10, 2009 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

[

"Education is what's left after you've forgotten everything you've learned in school."
- Albert Einstein

"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
- Albert Einstein

“The world of reality has its limits, the world of imagination is boundless.”
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.”
- Samuel Clemens

“We are citizens of the world. The tragedy of our times is that we do not know this.”
- Woodrow Wilson

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Sun May 10, 2009 4:27 am

WTF? Vaccine????? Vaccines fight viruses.

I mentioned before that your love would suffer from the loss, and the then die from the virus all around him or her.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

Lyra Angelica
Sprite

Postby Lyra Angelica » Sun May 10, 2009 4:54 am

Um, yes, vaccines fight viruses. I don't see the point...

Actually, generally a vaccine guarantees immunization for quite a long time. Anywhere from a year to life, depending on how fast the virus mutates. Anyway, by a year, everyone else would be dead, so there's almost no chance of catching it after getting the vaccine.

[

"Education is what's left after you've forgotten everything you've learned in school."
- Albert Einstein

"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
- Albert Einstein

- Jean-Jacques Rousseau

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.”
- Samuel Clemens

“We are citizens of the world. The tragedy of our times is that we do not know this.”
- Woodrow Wilson

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Sun May 10, 2009 5:32 am

Then why, on Earth did you ask how a vaccine can kill one, or 8 billion. The population is more like 6.5 billion. Wikipedia says that as of now, we are at 6.7 billion approx.

To the world means releasing it upon the globe. At every possible site. At all the airports, all the military bases, all the major cities etc.

Almost 100% that your love would die within the first year. What are the chances that your love would be the very last one. Your love is also part of the world.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

Lyra Angelica
Sprite

Postby Lyra Angelica » Sun May 10, 2009 6:13 am

I asked how a vaccine could have the same effect on one person or eight (or six point five-- I'm not the best about stats) billion people. I was operating on the persumption that the vaccine has only limited avalibility and I was wondering how there could only be enough for one person or only be enough for the rest of the world but not that one. It really doesn't make sense if you think about it.

Releasing it? Generally, it isn't that simple. Supplies for vaccines especially in times of desperation are limited. Like now-- I certainly can't get my hands on any tamiful at the moment.

Anyway, I have already explained that your love wouldn't die if he/she had the vaccine. That is kind of the point of the vaccine.

[

- Albert Einstein

- Albert Einstein

- Jean-Jacques Rousseau

- Samuel Clemens

- Woodrow Wilson

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Sun May 10, 2009 6:20 am

Vaccines? This is about a virus. You can't kill with a vaccine... DOH.

You can release a virus. It is alive. If someone breathes it in, they are infected. If they breathe it out, other are infected. And so on and so forth.

Who is to say this virus is known? Who is to say it can't evolve. And normal disease would kill us all. Once a very large amount of the population is dead, nothing will stop the apocalypse.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

Lyra Angelica
Sprite

Postby Lyra Angelica » Sun May 10, 2009 6:27 am

For the last time, I was talking about the vaccine eliminating the virus in a given number of people.

I assumed you were talking about releasing a vaccine. It wasn't very clear. But anyway, no one releases viruses either-- they spread of their own accord.

And of course they evolve. Everything evolves in some way. But by the time it evolves sufficiently to override the effects of the vaccine, everyone effected will have died so as long as your love keeps up with proper fumigation, there will be no way for it spread to him/her.

[

- Albert Einstein

- Albert Einstein

- Jean-Jacques Rousseau

- Samuel Clemens

- Woodrow Wilson

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Sun May 10, 2009 6:37 am

No one releases viruses? How about a smart terrorist? There is always a first.

If the spreading of the virus is successful, billions could die. What are the chances your love won't die? And other factors would take him or her out because of the lack of other survivors.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

Lyra Angelica
Sprite

Postby Lyra Angelica » Sun May 10, 2009 6:39 am

I'm not sure what your argument is anymore.

IF you give only your love the vaccine, he/she will live.

IF you give it to the rest of the world, they will all live and your love will die.

Implausible as the situation is, it makes the choice ludicrously simple.

[

- Albert Einstein

- Albert Einstein

- Jean-Jacques Rousseau

- Samuel Clemens

- Woodrow Wilson

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Sun May 10, 2009 6:44 am

What if the vaccine doesn't exist. It's possible to create new viruses. If you give it to the world, a large part of the world will die, the your love.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

Lyra Angelica
Sprite

Postby Lyra Angelica » Sun May 10, 2009 6:49 am

Under the premises of this question, the vaccine exists. So please stop arguing with the question.

That's enough for one night. Good night.

[

- Albert Einstein

- Albert Einstein

- Jean-Jacques Rousseau

- Samuel Clemens

- Woodrow Wilson

Return to “The Debate Forum”