[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Homework- Is it the most useful form of learning?? - Artemis Fowl Confidential Fan Forum

Homework- Is it the most useful form of learning??

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.

Is homework a usefull form of learning.

Yes, It's very usefull
62%
No, It is not needed.
38%

Total votes: 37

Griffar
Commander
Real First Name: Alex
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Griffar

Homework- Is it the most useful form of learning??

Postby Griffar » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:30 am

Well, I had this discussion with my brother a couple of months back, and I found it quite interesting.

I believe homework is a usefull form of learning, but it has it's place. In order to learn something you need to also gain undrstanding of it.

Times Tables is an example. You get given revisions sheets or something and you go about learning the times tables at home. Whilst in class your teacher gives you a lesson to help you understand how times tables work. The homework, then shows you how to put this understanding to use, and betters your understanding as you work.

Tell us what you think.

Griffar

EDIT: As To some confusion (or something like that) the point of this debate is to debate how effective homework is (i think very effective) and if you disagree then state what you think is a better form of learning, education, understanding ect.
Last edited by Griffar on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Re: Homework- Is it a usefull form of learning or not.

Postby Kitsy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:30 pm

I remember debating this very same topic here a while who, probably years ago, but it turned out to be quite an interesting debate.
I think homework is very important, and maybe the reason I can say that is because I can look back in retrospect at high school and college (British college/sixth form, not the American) and see how it was useful, even if at the time I hated it. Firstly, it's good simply because it helps you learn and that's pretty standard; if you want to be good at something, you can have to practise outside school hours and homework makes you do that. Now, there was quite a bit of homework during high school that was pretty stupid and I could've done without it, but it was good because it got me used to doing work outside of school. Therefore when I got to college I didn't struggle nearly as much with the workload as some people who hadn't bothered with homework at high school.

So yeah, it's definitely a good thing imo.

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Homework is also good for your memory.

Basic Psychology says that through repitition, your brain will refine and reinforce your neural pathways associated, which will lead to it encoding the information in your long term memory.

Meaning, the more you practice timetables, the easier it will be to remember them - and longer you will remember them.

Honestly, I think this is an open and shut debate.
Anyone who says homework is not a useful form of learning, I'm just going to go ahead and declare them either stupid or young and stupid.

And yeah, Kitty, we debated this like a year ago.
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

aintIsneaky?
Cave Troll

Postby aintIsneaky? » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:57 pm

Yeah, I remember it -

As Cezen said, this is pretty much open and shut. While there's plenty of assignments out there that are arguably make-work, most homework is there for a reason - to reinforce what you learned in class.

Griffar
Commander

Postby Griffar » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:01 am

No it's not really an open and shut debate. the whole point of this was to argue whether hw is a useful tool for learning. Since there are other ways of learning the debate will come from the people who believe it isn't a useful way of learning

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:57 am

Griffar
Commander

Postby Griffar » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:48 am

Im nut suggesting its not useful. I really dislike homework, and find it annoying, but I know it helps me. But there are other ways of learning and the point was to debate over which is better. Maybe I said that wrong in my original post, or didn't outline the point of this debate. Sorry about that, but thats what the point of this debate is, and I shall go edit my original post if need be.

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:00 pm

edit to: "Is it the most effective form of learning".

Griffar
Commander

Postby Griffar » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:16 am

gotcha, thanks for that. Now is the debate more... debatable.

FoalysGirl
The Techie

Re: Homework- Is it the most useful form of learning??

Postby FoalysGirl » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:13 pm

Homework is totally useful. I mean it totally prepares you for higher grades as well as helping you understand and see where you need work in a subject.
"Edwin, what's the plural for Ox?"
"Oxen. The farmer used his oxen."
"Brian,"
"What?"
"What's the plural for box?"
"Boxen! I bought two boxen of doughnuts."

---Brain's stupid in school comedy skit

"I'm the dude, playing the dude, disguised as another dude." ----Tropic Thunder

"Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock." ------ Buffy season 6

"He was like....Napoleon!" ---Me

Mere Reflection
Special Agent of Mr. Shiny

Postby Mere Reflection » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:17 am

This is actually very interesting to go over.

Pros:
Homework is statistically proven to reinforce the lessons a child has at school
Homework alows parents to have more insight to what the child is doing at school.
Prepares you for later life.

However, these -small- benefits are easeily outweighed by the negative effects of back strain, stress/anxiety and the potentual of easy cheating.

I myself have fallen victim to two of these, and are not alone. When a child is sentenced a homework task, he (or she) must take quite a lot of material home to study. And how does that material get home? The child carries it. Most of the primary and high school population catches the bus. In a perfect world, a bus would drop you straight to your doorstep however this is not the case, and a quantity of school children have to carry these heavy burdens all the way home. This leads to my second point- what happens when the children actually arive home.

Many students have a lot of trouble with completing homework. This pressure can make the children feel depressed, anxious and stressed. A large amount of school children even have to see a councilor from this unnecessary strain. Many cases lead to the pupil staying up late at night, cutting into their necessary sleep, to finish the homework that is putting them through much pain. Social interaction also has to be cut down to make more time for this work.

There is also the potentual for the parents to help the child get all the answers right, or for the child to just look at the answers or the internet to save time. This is entirely unbeneficial and unnecessay, as well as enforcing bad habits.

Childhood obesity is also a growing problem which is linked through research to children spending too much time at home or on the computer. And why would the children most likely be doing this? To finish homeowrk.

I refer to Milll's harm prinicple here- something must have an overwhelming harm for it to be banned. This case clearly does, and a possible help in education is not good reason enough to allow children to be exposed to all thes harmful cases.
For these reasons, we propose.

I am a debater, so forgive me if the structure isn't good for written debates. I'm usually a third speaker. =P.Btw, this was not just because I'm grumpy about my maths homework. Now way. Probably not. Maybe.
Thanks to Cat Moon & Raineesun for helping me do this XD
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Evening news is where they begin with 'good evening' then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
Always remember you are utterly unique. Just like everyone else.
Why are you still reading this?
Nothing is impossible, yet everything is a lie. Fishies! :D
A/H forever

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:31 am

Now, can I just state that we're all no doubt drawing from our own personal experiences of homework. I would completely disagree with almost everything you've said - never have I been so overloaded with work that I havn't been able to complete it or have had to cut into my sleeping time or social time. Yes, I've had a mental breakdown here and there during my A-Levels, but I knew that all the work I was doing (coursework, practise essays/exams, rehearsals etc.) were helping me get the best grade I could.
It's all a matter of organising yourself and your work so that you can complete it all and still stay healthy - I just finished college (British college anyway) and the homework I had to do there was necessary. But if I hadn't done homework in high school, when it perhaps wasn't so necessary, how could I have taught myself to sit down and do work, to organise work and do deal with pressure? Homework not only reinforces the knowledge you have to know to get through school, but teaches you how to study, how to persevere, how to organise your time and prioritise.

Now, I'm sure there are schools which may tax their students too much (I know the pressure is much higher in private schools, but that's a combination of pressure to do well and homework) and homework does need to be regulated. There is such a thing as too much homework, but there is also such a thing as too little. The trick is to get the balance right, and unless the students are literally having panic attacks left, right and centre or are cooped up at home and never leave, then I think the school has got it right.

Also, I'm sure that childhood obesity is not due to children having to do their homework. A healthy lifestyle and plenty of exercise will stop that, and homework does not take up all of their time - they will have plenty of time to do exercise and socialise. I would blame childhood obesity mainly on parents who don't feed their children properly and don't encourage them to do exercise. Not even exercise like running or doing a sport, just playing outside with other children or walking somewhere instead of taking a car/bus.

Anyway, that's off topic. xD I hope I'm making sense here.

Mere Reflection

Postby Mere Reflection » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:25 am

Note: Apologies in advance if this is a bit byst, I am currently diagnosed with suffering from stress from too much homeowork.

"How to organise your time and prioritise", while this is true, there are many less troublesome methods of doing this, especially in class. Of course, we all agree that in a perfect world, a carefully balanced amount of homework would be great. But this is not a perfect world, and we have to accept that we cannot keep an eye on every assignment for every student and these can get out of track, which leads to children having too much of a burden. In other words, homework is a slippery slope.

"Childhood obesity is unrelated" not quite. There is a distinct correlation with the amount of homework and pressure and the amount of students 'gaining weight'. Of course, Kitsy is right in saying that with the right amount none of these protests apply. With the right amount. Is it really so terrible to decrease legal amounts of homework so the minority of students to whom these apply are able to shrug off these needless setbacks? I'm not saying that homework is utterly bad and should go out the window now, and apologies if that is what it sounds like. I'm saying that there should be a legal limit to how much homework students have to persevere. This amount could be slowly increased so the children can slowly grow acustmed and fit their requirements easily around these and work them out. However the current situation with children being tossed into the deep end with no chance to grow accustomed to the new 'quota' is unfair and illogical.

Just because certain students have no trouble, others may have more. Due to the different classes and different teachers, the education experience is different for each individual. What I am trying to say here is that for the reasons I have discussed, I believe that the current levels of homework and expectations of students is unnecessary and even harmful. For those reasons, I propose.
Evening news is where they begin with 'good evening' then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
A/H forever

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:47 am

It's "biased" btw, xD

For one thing having a "legal" amount of homework would never work; how would the government be able to monitor all the schools in the country to make sure they stuck to it? Why should the government have the power to interfere in education to that extent, when surely the teachers are better qualified to make that judgement? What is "the right amount of homework?" Like you said, different schools, different kids deal with homework differently so there is really not right amount that can be set down by law. If they set too low an amount there will be students who will not be challenged properly.

The way I think it should be handled is that teacher's should be trained to monitor their students, see how much work they can handle, how much is needed and to be approachable so students can ask for help. It's all really down to teacher training. Of course, parents should be on the look out for schools who really do tax the kids too hard, which is a sort of abuse of their position as teachers who are supposed to look out for the welfare of their students.

Basically, if you find homework hard and difficult then I think you should just put up with it. We all have to go through it, we all go through stress and if you find it difficult, well tough really. Obviously, go get help from your teachers and parents, they are there to help you and can maybe ease the load or show you how to do it better. But just generally, homework in the form that it is in now has been part of all curriculums for decades and we all get through it fine in the end, so I don't see what the problem is.

Mere Reflection

Postby Mere Reflection » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:01 am

(Thanks, I'm a terrible speller.)

I hear what you're saying- but my instincts are still no.

What is wrong, in theory, about homework? Nothing. However, I believe strongly in the protection of the minority. Sure, most students don't get into tears about their workload and lock themselves in their room. But some do.

Why not impose a system called 'non-compulsory' homework? That way if students are overloaded they can get away with not doing homework.

Yes, I know what you're thinking. Students won't do it if they don't have to!
This is where teachers and parents come in. They can help the student do the homework and encourage the student to work. All I'm saying is that in Primary and Early High school at least, homework should be NON-ASSESABLE.
A/H forever

Return to “The Debate Forum”