"OMG" and "LOL" enter The Oxford English Dictionary

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Yes.
30%
No.
57%
Don't care/mind.
13%

Total votes: 30

Arty1995
Centaur

"OMG" and "LOL" enter The Oxford English Dictionary

Postby Arty1995 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:57 pm

They have long been a feature of text messages and now the abbreviations OMG and LOL have been recognised in the Oxford English Dictionary.

The abbreviation for Oh My God (OMG) and Laughing Out Loud (LOL) are joined by FYI (For Your Information), IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) and Wag (Wives and girlfriends) as new entries in the latest edition of the Oxford English Dictionary Online.

The dictionary says that the first quotation for OMG is from a personal letter from 1917 while LOL was first used in 1960 but denoted Little Old Lady.

The rise of the term Wag follows a report in a newspaper that the staff at the England football team's World Cup training camp referred to the players' wives collectively as Wags.

It has since become a popular term used in the media.

Also for the first time in the dictionary is flat white, explained as "a style of espresso drink with finely textured foamed milk", banh mi (also known as a Vietnamese sandwich); taquito (a crisp-fried snack); and kleftiko (a Greek dish of slow cooked lamb).
Source: http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/omg-and-lo ... ry-4086974

The debate: Do you think this is right? I don't. They are acrynoms not words! It is sad day for english...
Eternity Awards - Strangest member, 2010, 2011
Eternity Awards - Most Changed member, 2011
Eternity Awards - Looovers <3 [DATA EXPUNGED], Conquer the world! 2012

sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady

Re: "OMG" and "LOL" enter The Oxford English Dictionary

Postby sharkie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:04 pm

I can't stand people who are like "OOoooh it's the death of the English language". No, they are simply putting into record words that people commonly use. It's the same as the argument that Slang should not be put in dictionaries. Of course it should! The majority of people use slang, so why only put in language that the minority of people use.

Dictionaries are not for cataloging a 'Proper way of speaking'- they are for people to A) look up spellings and B) find out what something means. It does not mean it's low class, or w/e you think, it means it has realised that OMG and Lol are often used, even vocally, and so it suits it to put it into book used to list words commonly used. And as for the acrynoms- there have always been acrynoms in the dictionary. In terms of looking things up, don't you think it's one of the most likely things?

Personally I prefer the Chambers dictionary anyway :P
*TEETH KNASH* The yellow ducks shall eat your socks in the nighttime
Took Jangrafess out my sig, clearly he doesn't appreciate old respect when he's pulling stunts like that
Raped your sig to tell you, that yes it is! ~AG
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

POKEMON BEASTIALITY PWNS ALL (yes, that was me - Jangra)

SORREH, Niki, teal is my color. ^_^ *rape* BOLD FTW. - Voldylicious
i thought you needed new rape from me and i like this color so *rapes* (:
oohhh kittyyy, she's so orgasmically amazing. *rapes*

Arty1995
Centaur

Postby Arty1995 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:12 pm

They are acrynoms though. They already have a classification.
Eternity Awards - Strangest member, 2010, 2011
Eternity Awards - Most Changed member, 2011
Eternity Awards - Looovers <3 [DATA EXPUNGED], Conquer the world! 2012

sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby sharkie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:36 pm

It's about Ease of Use, are you saying people should have to buy a SECOND overpriced book just to satisfy pedantic sods like you.

Besides, the point is that they are words in their Own right. You could not use OMG or LOL for anything OTHER than their intention. And they have a different use than simple 'Oh my god'- I would commonly use that (or 'Jesus Christ!') without thinking. OMG is generally for ironic emphasis.

Basically I'm saying, didn't used to be words, but now they are. Get over it.

And even if they couldn't be counted as words- get over it.
Took Jangrafess out my sig, clearly he doesn't appreciate old respect when he's pulling stunts like that
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

Multiverse
Elf

Postby Multiverse » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:23 pm

Definitely no. I don´t mind them keeping record - the future linguisticians need some way to know why they´re going to say what they´re going to say, and that requires them to have records of what we´re saying today.

I don´t think it´s a good idea to stuff it all together in an actual dictionary right next to the actual words, though. They should make a small, additional Street Language dictionary.

-Multiverse

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:46 pm

But then you'd have to have a whole seperate book for other words? And who decides what's "street language" and what's "proper English"?

The thing is, this is how languages evolve, they pick up slang and acronyms and they grow and eventually become completely a part of the language. The thing is that it will only get added to the dictionary when it has been used a certain number of times etc. - ie. not just anything goes in, here is procedure. So what makes these words and acronyms not worthy of the dictionary than any other word? Slang is important and it keeps language moving.
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:49 pm

No way.

I generally don't like it when people type lol, and hate it when people say it - like laughing is uncool now. If someone tells you a joke, you laugh, you don't say "lol". *cringes*
Them entering the dictionary is bad, I think, because it's a teen (mostly) acrynom! I wouldn't annoy me, I'm not that pednatic, but I don't think it should happen.
I use OMG online because it's quicker than typing "Oh my Gods" like I would usually say, but that's all.
I see you too! XD

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:55 pm

I hate the word quirky - should I petition to get it out of the dictionary? It's mosly used by teenage girls who think they're something different, so I don't think it should be a word.

I just picked the word quirky because I had a huge discussion about it the other day, but that argument can be used to any word. So what if it's mostly used by teens? It's still a word.

sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby sharkie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:05 pm

The thing is, this is how languages evolve, they pick up slang and acronyms and they grow and eventually become completely a part of the language. The thing is that it will only get added to the dictionary when it has been used a certain number of times etc. - ie. not just anything goes in, here is procedure. So what makes these words and acronyms not worthy of the dictionary than any other word? Slang is important and it keeps language moving.
This.

I don't have much else to say. I resent anyone who ever corrects a persons way of speaking "pronounce your ts DEAR" or asks you to stop speaking slang. I do not think there is a correct way of speaking, and just because it personally makes someone cringe does not mean it's not a legitimate way of speaking. God knows when I hear people say the word 'Loo' I want to knock their teeth out, and it was deffos slang at one point. But does Loo deserve a place in the dictionary.. yes it does.
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:15 pm

My nan says loo, I thought loo had been around for ages - I didn't think it was slang. :blush:

I must admit, people who correct others grammer as they speak or correct their pronouncation (how do you correct pronouncation when people all over the world say it different?!) are so irksome I don't know why people don't form queues outside their houses to punch them.

Quirky is an old word, isn't it?
But at least it's a word. LOL and OMG are acrynoms, but on the other hand AA is in the dictionary, and many acrynoms are, however these are more like "NSPCC" or "AA" - acrynom names for things - when it comes to LOL ect I don't perticularly like it.
I'm not too bothered if it's in the dictionary or not tbh, but if it is I'd be slighted ticked because I hate "teen" acrynoms, but that's just my opinion so it's not like I have any problem with "the diteriaction of the English language" I just don't like "teen" acrynoms in general.
I see you too! XD

Multiverse
Elf

Postby Multiverse » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:26 pm

Of course slang and street talk is needed to keep the language moving, but shouldn´t we at least wait adding it to the dictionaries until it´s fully integrated into everday speech? That seems a bit like, well, cheating, speeding up the evolution of language.
LOL, of course, is fairly common and could be argued towards, but I don´t think that many people, at least in non-English speaking countries, know the acronyms FYI, IMHO and WAG (I didn´t know the last one). It might just be my personal tastes speaking here, though. I tend not to use acronyms for something I only expect writing once in the same context.

That said, I forgot in my previous post to mention what a nice little story that is about the original LOL, and how surprisingly early OMG evolved. Then again, why not? =)

-Multiverse

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:28 pm

I only knew FYI, none of the others xD
I'm not an acrynom person.
I see you too! XD

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:36 pm

But eg. is probably in the dictionary, as is etc. - which are acronyms that aren't for names.

WAG = wives and girlfriends (of footballers).
IMHO - Um, IMO is in my opinion, so maybe honest?

sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby sharkie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:11 pm

Of course slang and street talk is needed to keep the language moving, but shouldn´t we at least wait adding it to the dictionaries until it´s fully integrated into everday speech? That seems a bit like, well, cheating, speeding up the evolution of language.
LOL, of course, is fairly common and could be argued towards, but I don´t think that many people, at least in non-English speaking countries, know the acronyms FYI, IMHO and WAG (I didn´t know the last one). It might just be my personal tastes speaking here, though. I tend not to use acronyms for something I only expect writing once in the same context.

That said, I forgot in my previous post to mention what a nice little story that is about the original LOL, and how surprisingly early OMG evolved. Then again, why not? =)

-Multiverse
Well if we want to go into what people from Non english speaking countries using words- they don't know much slang at all when it's not their first language. However when they come to these countries it tends to be the words they latch onto.

For example, African guy at my work that we call December cause we can't pronounce his name. His favourite phrase, repeated every ten seconds, 'Ooohhh aye, ohhh aye." It's sort of mocking us, but it's also because it's just more personable.

The word 'wean', in the context of child, is one that you probably would never hear used, wouldn't know the meaning of, and yet is one of my most used words. Does that mean it's incorrect? NO. And apparently oxford dictionary agrees- and it's there. But no one from another country would have a clue about it. The english dictionary is not for people from other countries. It's not a translation dictionary.
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:27 pm

But eg. is probably in the dictionary, as is etc. - which are acronyms that aren't for names.

WAG = wives and girlfriends (of footballers).
IMHO - Um, IMO is in my opinion, so maybe honest?
Just asking, what does IMHO mean and IMO mean? :blush:
I really need to leanr this stuff so I can understand people on the internet - and my sister, of course. xD
I see you too! XD

Return to “The Debate Forum”