BkkprGirl - crystal_clear - hollyshort_reconjock.

Moderator:RPG-Forum Moderator

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name:Katarina
BkkprGirl - crystal_clear - hollyshort_reconjock.

Postby Kitsy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:28 pm

(I had no room to add anything to the title :()

Enjoy.
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

crystal_clear
but you can call me Awesome
Real First Name:O rlly nao?

Re: BkkprGirl - crystal_clear - hollyshort_reconjock.

Postby crystal_clear » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:06 pm

Ofelia walked in the shadow of her two friends, keeping a careful watch over both. Her eyes flicked from one to the other. She could sense the tension rising between the two with every step she took.

Their escape had been a narrow one, but she was still paranoid that they were being followed. She decided that those people wouldn't give up so easily if they had been inches away from their prize. She glanced behind her, but there wasn't a soul to be seen, just trees. They stretched far into the blackness they created. Not even sunlight could reach them through the canopy of leaves.

Ofelia tripped on a protruding root. She yelped and hit the ground hard, scraping her shins on the way down.

Instead of getting up, though, she stayed with her forehead pressed against the cool moss. She was tired; ever since they had gotten away she had felt as though someone had scoured her insides out with a metal brush. She felt sad, alone and betrayed. "How could he?" she thought, tears slipping down her cheek. "How could he do such a thing?"
Facebook: Stealing every aspect of your daily life and using it in our plan to dominate the world through mind control and hamster wheels since 2006.

hollyshort_reconjock
Commander

Postby hollyshort_reconjock » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:44 am

Seth Chase shook his head violently, trying to dislodge the dizziness he felt walking beneath the roof of forest greenery. His breathing was shallow and uneven, the claustrophobia taking hold of him like a hawk does a sparrow. The brief, urgent conversation that had passed between him and his two closest friends had most definitely been insufficient to explain his situation and their vital role in it.

"I have to get in the air," Seth declared. "I'll meet you at the cave of the Mists." He veered off the path, disappeared behind a tree, and tied his clothes in a bundle. Then he jumped upward, and a huge eagle soared out of the trees and toward the mountains.

With measured wingbeats, Seth rode the air currents toward the distant mountain, framed blue and white against the azure sky. His clawed feet brushed the topmost leaves of the forest below him as he surveyed the surrounding landscapes with sharp eyes. The open air was his home. His oasis in a desert of small spaces.

Just outside the cave of the Mists was where he was to meet his friends. They had not used their old hideout for almost a year now. Seth anticipated this patricular meeting with eagerness and foreboding. Obviously he was eager; this might be when he could convince them to join him. But Seth could sense it, taste it in the air -- the odd tingle of clouded foresight possessed by those of his kind.

The mountainside grew closer as he flew, and Seth landed lightly on the large outcropping of stone that jutted straight out from the cliffside, releasing the bundle of clothes he carried in his claws onto the rock. Water churned in the falls far below, a sheer drop until the river. Seth scanned the horizons with one stormy gray eye and lifted his wings.

And then the great eagle was gone. In its place stood a tall, dark-haired youth with a lean, tan body and midnight-black hair. It was Seth. He had returned to human form. With muscled arms he unfolded the bundle and clothed himself in a tunic, pants, and boots. The leather band from the bundle was used to tie back his shoulder-length hair. On the outside, he looked like all the other fifteen-year-old males who lived at the mountain's base.

But inside, Seth was completely different from those around him. He always would be. Seth was a morpho, one of the few people in his world who could transform themselves into animals. In past centuries, there had been many morphos, thousands even, per generation. But over the ages the regular humans began to fear and oppress them. Morphos were looked down on, spat upon. They were hated. The numbers were reduced, but still the morphos were born.

Now, however, they were almost completely wiped out. No one could know when such a child would be born, and so still the morphos lived. But they lived in secret, hidden by their families or rejected by them. It was a grim existence, but Seth could truthfully say that his life was not without its share of risk and thrill.

He seated himself cross-legged on the cold stone and breathed the open air gratefully, his eyes on the trail that lead into the forest. Any moment now, Seth knew, his two greatest friends would appear. He wanted to be with them far more than he let on. Seth was not one to broadcast emotions, but deep down he loved them. Those two meant more to him than the few family members who had ever cared about him.

Seth did not think he could be without them, away from them, separated from them, for too long.

And that was why he was here. That was his purpose.

They needed to join him. They had too.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:18 pm

The night was dark around Athena, and she could smell fear clouding the mist that wreathed the two of them. Why did Seth have to leave? she thought angrily. There's safety in numbers. A nagging mixture of concern, fear, and reluctant suspicion tugged at her somewhere in her chest.

Her vision blurred, and then sharpened, irises morphing from bright green to a predatory yellow. She blinked. It's happening again... I'm getting too nervous. The trees around her leapt into focus, colors shifting and changing as her eyes adapted to the sight of a wolf.

She wished that she could embrace the change, become one with the powerful, hunting predator inside her. But it wasn't safe. For now, she'd have to do her best to remain human--a tall, too-skinny girl who was underfed and stressed almost to the breaking point. Her face, which was once strangely pretty, was drawn in worry and concern.

Athena breathed deeply, smoothing her fiery hair back from her face, fighting the change. Don't let anyone see you're nervous. Not Ofelia, and not anyone watching us. Stay calm. Another deep breath, and her vision was back to normal. Despite the circumstances, she felt a tiny flame of relief and triumph ignite inside her. See? I knew I could learn how to control it.

If only I'd known then.... Images rose from somewhere deep in her memory, unbidden. Her brother Torren's horrified face, then his anger and the sharp pain of being hated for what she was...

Stop it. STOP. IT. Don't think about that. She felt something warm trickle down her clenched fist, and knew without even looking that she'd sprouted claws. She opened her slender fingers wide, and stared at the gashes in her palm. That was the past, and this is now.

She glanced at Ofelia, who was huddled beneath a tree, looking despondent. I should say something. Sound brave. I'm supposed to be the big, strong wolf. The brave one. I'm not, but I'm supposed to be, and it won't do anyone good to let my guard down now.

Athena took a few steps toward Ofelia, and crouched down so they were at eye level.

"Look, I know this sucks, okay? But think about it. They're scared of us, because of what we can do. And once we can regroup and figure out what's going on, we can make them stop. We will make them stop." She reached out a hand to help Ofelia to her feet. "Now let's get going."
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

crystal_clear

Postby crystal_clear » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:38 am

Ofelia took Athena's hand in hers. It was warm and sticky, the blood rubbed off onto her own hand.

Ofelia knew better than to ask why Athena's hand had blood on it and simply opted to wipe it off when she wasn't looking.

It would be nightfall by the time they reached Seth at the cave of the Mists. How inconvenient it was of him to run off like that. She wondered briefly about whether or not it was another trap.

She glanced at Athena who walked dutifully ahead of her, and thought maybe she should bring it to her attention--the fact that this might be another trap. As they continued walking, though, it dawned on her that she didn't even know if they were going in the right direction. Then she thought of asking Athena if they were going to go meet up with Seth, but decided against it.

Maybe some things are better off left unsaid, she thought. I don't want to make Athena lose control or anything.

The predicament brought back fond memories of Ofelia's grandmother. She was the only one who had known Ofelia was a morpho. In this situation she probably would have said something to the extent of "One must take every hardship with patience and integrity. Never lose yourself in fury."

Ofelia grinned, brimming with nostalgia.

Before she knew it, they had reached the end of the forest. It dropped off from a rocky cliff, overlooking the sea. It was obvious why the cave was called the Cave of the Mists, as each wave that pelted the rocky shore sent up a spray of water that lingered in the air at the mouth of the cave. It presented itself as an eerie enough place that Ofelia hesitated. "How are we going to get down there?" she asked, peering over the edge, straight down into oblivion.

"Why would he meet us here?" she wondered, before Athena could answer. "Isn't he afraid of small places?"
Facebook: Stealing every aspect of your daily life and using it in our plan to dominate the world through mind control and hamster wheels since 2006.

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:46 pm

"I don't know," Athena admitted. "It seems like he wouldn't go somewhere this secluded unless something was up." She was practically shouting over the roar of the water below. There would be no chance of calling to Seth, not until they were close enough for him to hear.

Athena brushed her wet hair out of her face and peered through the mist below her. A sudden wave of vertigo swam about her head, and she gripped rock face with hands that had sprouted claws. Another deep breath, and she banished the dizziness to somewhere in the back of her mind where it wouldn't bother her. Better keep the claws, she thought. This could be a tough climb.

Well, it's not like anyone would expect us to be here. Seth's afraid of small spaces, and I hate heights. The path that was etched into the side of the rock was just barely visible in the moonlight--a thin strip of glistening stone that looked terribly unsafe as it clung to the side of the cliff.

She took the first few steps cautiously, muscles tense. The rock shelf was just barely big enough to fit her feet--if she lost her balance, it would be the end. This would be easier in a half-morph, she thought. Concentrating, she let the coarse brown fur slide over her, felt her face leap out in front of her as she sprouted a muzzle. A thousand new smells burst through into her brain, and she smiled toothily as her eyes focused into wolf night-vision. The cave smelled almost overpoweringly of Seth, and of fear and hesitation. At least we won't have to wait for him to get back from one of his late-night flights.

The thrill of her wolf form filled her with confidence, and she longed to morph the whole way and let herself become one with the hunting, loping, howling, utterly free animal that she was at heart. But she forced the change to grind to a halt, knowing that it was neither the time nor the place to unleash her full ability.

Her yellow eyes glowed in the darkness, and she could see the path ahead of her outlined clearly. The thing on the side of the cliff no longer resembled Athena even faintly-- it was a monster out of a small child's nightmare. Half-wolf, half human: a strange intermingling of species that looked so utterly different and strange that it set one's teeth on edge. Yet it was still Athena's low, smooth voice that issued from between the beast's gleaming fangs.

"Ofelia! Use your fox eyes! It's a lot easier to see in the dark."

Athena paused for one more second, building up her nerve, and then began to climb. The smell of Seth got stronger with every step, his emotions more easily readable. The sour tang of fear clouded the air, but that was no surprise to her. They were all afraid. What intrigued her was the underlying scents of anticipation and confidence, and the faintest whiff of hesitation.

The mouth of the cave loomed ahead, and with another leap, she found herself inside. Towards the back, away from prying eyes, a small fire had been lit. Behind it sat Seth, his shadow flickering on the cave wall behind him.

Athena concentrated again, and let her human form take hold of her fully. She smiled, and walked toward the fire. "Alrighty, then, Bird-boy," she said affectionately. "What's going on?" At the back of her mind, something still made her uneasy. He smelled familiar, she thought. That combination of smells... I don't remember where but I've smelled that feeling before.
Last edited by BkkprGirl on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~The Unwritten

hollyshort_reconjock
Commander

Postby hollyshort_reconjock » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:52 pm

Seth grinned at the two girls, his face wavering through the plume of overheated air wafting from the small fire. He could almost forget the oppressive fear of the cavern's walls collapsing in on him as he watched them enter. Uncrossing his legs, he stood up and moved forward to hug them. Almost unintentionally -- but not really -- he hung on to Ophelia a little longer than necessary before stepping back.

"Hey, guys," he said, trying and failing to mask his ecstasy. He edged around them so he was closer to the cave entrance, still smiling. "It's great to see you again."

Again. The smile slid off his face like soap, which at once became a hard, cold mask. Already Seth was falling back on the job. He couldn't let anything stand in the way of his mission, much less his two greatest friends. With great effort, he folded up his happiness and tossed it into a drawer in the back of his mind. Thoughts of his task tumbled off the shelves into plain view.

Seth gritted his teeth and shut his eyes tightly. It was only for a moment, but then he opened them and became again the emotionless Seth that his two friends knew but barely recognized. His dark self sometimes frightened even him, though he never let that show.

"I wanted to meet you here because I knew that no one who might have known us would suspect it." He plunged right into business, guessing their questions before they could ask them. Seth glanced quickly at Ophelia, but averted his eyes immediately. Athena's joking manner had vanished, and now she glared.

Seth stalked out onto the stone ledge that jutted over the waterfall, then whirled around to face them. The crashing water was deafening, but somehow he managed to make himself heard over it. "I know what you think!" he bellowed, hands gathered into fists. "You think the experimentals are horrible people who torture and mistreat us! You think they abuse us! You think they hate us! You think they want to kill us!"

His voice softened and Seth's face smoothed back. Still he could be heard. "I thought that too." He took a deep breath and raised his head, glaring at Athena and then Ophelia. "But I don't think that any longer.

"The experimentals saved me. If they hate morphos, then wouldn't they have left me to die and rot in that old sewer?" Seth took a step forward. "They fed me, they clothed me, they gave me medicine. They showed me their work. I saw the real experimentals. They aren't bad. They are working to save us!"

His voice remained soft, but now Seth spoke with a dangerous edge. "Like every other morpho out there, I used to think that they were building an army of morpho clones. I believed it with all my heart. And besides, wasn't there proof enough? The experimentals were conducting genetic tests on our kind, most of which went horribly wrong. Wasn't that proof?

"But it's different." Seth took a few more steps forward. "They are trying to make more of us! They are trying to replicate the genes and release hundreds of new morphos into the wild. The experimentals don't want to hurt us, or enslave us!" His voice rose again, and a spasm of desperate anger crossed his face. "Can't you see? Why won't you come with me? It'll be better, I promise you!"

Doubt, skepticism, and faint repulsion were written all over their faces. That was the last push, the push that sent him careening over the edge.

"COME WITH ME!" he screamed, losing it completely. Huge talons exploded out of his fingertips and his skin began to ripple like the ocean. His eyes were huge and wild, completely unstable. "COME WITH ME! TOGETHER, THE THREE OF US -- WE'LL BATTLE THE REGULARS! WE'LL DESTROY ANYONE WHO OPPOSES US! WE'LL LEAD THE WORLD BACK TO THE GOLDEN AGE OF METAMORPHO!"

Seth didn't realize what he had done until it was too late. He had slapped them with taloned claws, raked the skin on their faces, and torn his heart in two all at once.

He could never take it back.

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:45 am

Anger pulsed inside Athena, and in seconds she felt her claws sprout from her fingertips, her lips drawn back in a fearsome, deadly snarl. Blood from the gashes in her face turned her vision scarlet, and she felt the rivulets running down towards her chin. Red brown fur exploded over her, her snout leapt forwards from her face. She was more beast than girl, hightened senses rippling as she smelled Seth's anger and desperation cloud everything. Hold it back!! She thought desperately, and gritted her fangs to stop the change from enveloping her entirely. Stop before you tear him apart!

"You would fight against the Regulars?" She accused him. It was not her voice that echoed through the cave--it was the voice of something that stalked through the shadows and felt its teeth sink into unsuspecting prey.

There was no answer. Seth's silent, silhouetted form was the only thing that Athena needed to see. Athena could smell his confirmation that he didn't dare speak out loud. It was the scent of betrayal.

Betrayal. Like Torren, like my parents--like nearly everyone that I've ever really trusted. She could feel the carefully constructed walls of her life come shattering down. Her emotions, once controlled, now became a raging, sickening torrent that threatened to take her under. She barely managed to keep her vocal chords human.

"You would! You would fight against unsuspecting people, like my brother and Ophelia's family--and your family, too!" She stepped towards him, a thunderous, grating snarl issuing from between her fangs. "That's why they're afraid of what we can do! They're afraid of people like YOU!"

She paused, her rattling breath louder than the pound of the falls. There's only one way I can do this. I have to fight him-- even if it means fighting my best friend. He betrayed us. Betrayed our kind. The knowledge that she was about to hurt Seth tugged at her sharply. Coping with the mad fury of emotions inside her would eat her alive, was currently devouring her. There was only one way out. One way.

"You would fight them?" she asked again. "Then fight THIS!"

Give in.

A howl of anger burst through the night, and Athena lunged toward Seth, fangs bared and snapping, ready to bite and rend. She pinned the half-avian boy to the ground, and steeled herself to tear out his throat.
~The Unwritten

crystal_clear

Postby crystal_clear » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:52 am

Ofelia watched, half in awe and half in shock, at the events unfold. She didn't even get a word in between their shouts.

"Guys..." she said. Athena looked infuriated, if she was pushed anymore it might go too far.

"Stop it!" she cried, but her shouts were drowned out when Athena suddenly screamed and mutated, pinning Seth to the ground. Blood spilled, from whom she did not know.

That was it, then, there was no way out of it. Ofelia closed her eyes, shrinking into herself. The same piercing pain shot through her body as it was reformed into something it wasn't built for. Much like a contortionist, she bent and reshaped, her face grew forward, and a tail sprouted from her backside, fur grew like grass all over her body.

When the morph was over, she sprung into the fray. It was a flury of claws and jaws. She latched onto Athena's flank. "I said stop it!" she growled.

hollyshort_reconjock
Commander

Postby hollyshort_reconjock » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:12 pm

Anger and frustration coursed through Seth. Wings burst out of his back and engulfed his arms up to his wrists; his hands remained humanoid. The peripherals in his vision were tinged with red, but instead of frightening him it only toughened him.

Seth dimly recalled that in a half-morphed state his brain functioned on two levels -- common sense, the human level; and survival instinct, the morpho level. Because he was mostly eagle now, survival instinct won over common sense and he fought with an animal mentality.

Grossly underestimating his morpho strength with the human part of his brain, Seth lunged at Athena and bowled all three of them over. He was lightheaded with dizziness but steeled himself to strike. They had had play battles all the time to hone their skills. But this wasn't play. This was real.

"Please... please!" Seth cried as he caught hold of Ophelia and Athena's arms. In that moment he realized two things -- he suffered from separation anxiety and he fought out of desperation, not anger. "Please, come with me!" Seth begged, his stormy eyes wide and pleading like a child's. "I can't..." the battle seemed to be frozen. "I can't do it alone!"

His moment of weakness was gone. Seth slid up the mask of heart-hardened steel and struck wih a mad vigor that seemed almost unnatural. Adrenaline fueled his actions, and a huge eagle with a ripple of black feathers amidst the white exploded out of Seth's clothes and slashed at the great brown wolf.

A tussle of black, white, brown, and red. Fur and feathers flew, mixing with the spurt of blood that showered them.

It was not Athena who fell.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Seth fell to the unforgiving stone from fifty feet above, morphing back to a human on the way down. The outcropping was slick with blood and sweat, mist coming out of the cave and making the whole scene fuzzy and almost like a dream.

Ophelia, lifeless on the ground.

It had to be a dream.

Seth was torn in two, inside and out. He felt his heart crumble to dust within his ribcage. "No... No... Lia... Ophelia... No... Come back..." He stumbled to her side and dropped to his knees beside her, grabbing his tunic on the way to cover himself. Seth could not see Athena, could not hear the crushing waterfall. All Seth knew was the beating of his own heart, relentless and living.

Try as he might, he could not hear Ophelia's.

Shaking, Seth lowered himself so his mouth was at her ear. "I'm sorry," he breathed, wetness building behind his eyes. "I truly am."

He kissed her and then he fled.

As the experimental forces swarmed over the mountain to collect his friends, Seth flew on, a broken, shattered person in a strong eagle suit. He was numb to everything but Athena's accusing mental voice:

Betrayer.

Return to “A Duel of Inkspills”